Bromley v Torquay United - Tuesday 16th August 2022

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 06:48 Are we the only team trying to gel? The teams we are playing seem to have ‘gelled’ but we tend to take an extra few games to find our feet each season.
Lets face it, nobody in this league is pulling up trees....
The might sheep shag*ers got beat and have been lucky, county couldnt beat gateshead, halifax cant win, oldham got beat at home by wealdstone and boring wood lost at home to the shots!
I'd rather be a gulls fan at the moment rather than a sheep shag*er! =D
Suppose we got away with one at Halifax, so our luck was bound to run out.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I was at the match which had 0-0 written all over it, until the sending off. Johnson was critical of Marshall: I was in direct line and the defence were caught out by a hoof ball - Marshall had little choice than to bring Cheek down. After three games we appear a solid unit; hard to break down; but void of attacking flair with the exception of Goodwin who has no support. I'm glad Johnson talked of the naivety of certain players as for me some of the newbies are very lightweight. Pre-match I was keen to see how Hughes would perform. All I will say on his contribution is we were down to 10 men from kick-off - a tad harsh maybe, but were not meant to be a development squad. Still early days and a more solid start than last season and given the big spenders are not having it all their own way still plenty to play for.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

culmstockgull wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 09:13 I agree with most of the sentiments that with only three games in its far too early to be down, listening to Johnsons post match my understanding is that a number of players havent come to terms with the national league,and he mentioned crowe, hughes and wyatt and the word naivety in that context. Also we seem to have in his words four or five starters who are long term injuries, that does concern me this early in the season. But on a positive note this is still a better start than last season and if can put a midfield together for saturday that actually stops borehamwood attacking at will like the previous three opponents then we are in with a good chance.
Crowe and Wyatt mentioned, these are the two positions our attacking width should come from in this system. It’s a counter-attacking system that only works with good full backs.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Some teams are performing better than others though. You mention Oldham - well they beat Dorking on Saturday but the visitors were unlucky and were the better team.

Halifax failed to win and score again tonight. Bromley couldnt beat 10 men on Saturday and their opponents had an outfield player in goal for the last 30 minutes. Everyone bangs on about how good our opponents are but is that really the case? I doubt that any of them will be challenging this year.

Last night we again had an opposition manager again stating that his team should have won more easily and stating how many chances his team had created against us. Our goalkeeper has been the standout player so far - it wouldnt be unfair to say that without him we'd have no points.

As has been stated we may not have gelled but thats no different to any team we have played so far - have a look at Dorking sure they concede a few but they have always got a chance in games because they are able to score goals. 8 in 3 games. They would wipe the floor with us if we played them.

They are a part time team. How are they able to score goals for fun when we are so inept up front?

Its al very well saying that we need Andrews and Jarvis back - thats obviously the case. However neither player appeared to be at all fit in pre season so in truth they are probably miles away from what is required.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Last season we had a short pre season mainly against second rate opposition and the reasons have been widlely discussed. we recruited like a five year old on their first visit to a sweet shop,"i wont one of them, one of them and two of those", we took players that few if anyone wanted because that was all that was left available, the result, most were not up to scratch, while I accept there were reasons for this I do not accept that it could not have been handled differently, it was obvious that the club lacked any strategic or continuity planning for what would happen in any of the two potential scenario's.
This time around we had a full pre season, did the majority of our work early, competitive friendlies and it would seem reasonable to assume that most of us had some confidence for what was to come.
So while our points are marginally improved on last season the orgainsation and structure of the team is not.
The one thing I have taken from these first three matches other than the opposition in the latter two using us for target practice is that we have a single idea playbook based on attacking wingbacks, which will only be successful and effective if Johnson has his first choice eleven and that will not happen for some months, Our left back seems to have ligament damage, Hall even at this early part of the seasons cannot manage two games a week, Jarvis was obviously signed with an injury that has not cleared up.
I still belive we will come good but the reasons and excuses for last seasons poor start make this seasons start even more confusing.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

culmstockgull wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 14:14 Last season we had a short pre season mainly against second rate opposition and the reasons have been widlely discussed. we recruited like a five year old on their first visit to a sweet shop,"i wont one of them, one of them and two of those", we took players that few if anyone wanted because that was all that was left available, the result, most were not up to scratch, while I accept there were reasons for this I do not accept that it could not have been handled differently, it was obvious that the club lacked any strategic or continuity planning for what would happen in any of the two potential scenario's.
This time around we had a full pre season, did the majority of our work early, competitive friendlies and it would seem reasonable to assume that most of us had some confidence for what was to come.
So while our points are marginally improved on last season the orgainsation and structure of the team is not.
The one thing I have taken from these first three matches other than the opposition in the latter two using us for target practice is that we have a single idea playbook based on attacking wingbacks, which will only be successful and effective if Johnson has his first choice eleven and that will not happen for some months, Our left back seems to have ligament damage, Hall even at this early part of the seasons cannot manage two games a week, Jarvis was obviously signed with an injury that has not cleared up.
I still belive we will come good but the reasons and excuses for last seasons poor start make this seasons start even more confusing.
I pretty much agree with this. In this system our wingbacks have to provide an attacking threat and so far they haven’t. Teams have pinned us back and our only way out has been long ball. I feel for Goodwin as he looks ok but his service has been awful.

The other thing is we can’t just say well we have 4 points which is better than last season. The start to last season was a disaster and it ultimately cost us a playoff spot. Comparing it to last season sets a pretty low bar. We have to be aiming as a club to get out of this league. I know that is difficult but I can’t see very few positives from the start of the season to think it is possible.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

happytorq wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 21:59 Post Removed

SG
(this post removal was entirely fair, SG, lol)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Last season we had a short pre season mainly against second rate opposition and the reasons have been widlely discussed. we recruited like a five year old on their first visit to a sweet shop,"i wont one of them, one of them and two of those", we took players that few if anyone wanted because that was all that was left available, the result, most were not up to scratch, while I accept there were reasons for this I do not accept that it could not have been handled differently, it was obvious that the club lacked any strategic or continuity planning for what would happen in any of the two potential scenario's.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:53 Some teams are performing better than others though. You mention Oldham - well they beat Dorking on Saturday but the visitors were unlucky and were the better team.
Right, then they Oldham lost at home to Wealdstone last night. So..what's your point?

At this point in the season there's not a single team who has really figured things out. Barnet are top, ffs, and while they'll be better than last season I don't think anybody is really expecting them to challenge for the title. Wrexham lost last night, so their expectation of an undefeated season is already in tatters.

We've seen in seasons past that as long as a team is within touching distance of the leaders - even 10,12 points - going into the Christmas period, they have a chance. True, this year I think everybody is expecting Wrexham to waltz away with it, but that still leaves at least a dozen sides who think they can make the playoffs, and we're one of them. (it also doesn't take into account Wrexham's almost-inevitable hilarious collapse.)

You can make excuses for our start (injuries being the prime culprit once again) but at least we've got some points on the board. After 3 games last year it was P3 W0 D1 l2 F2 A8. We're already ahead of that. Yes, we're not creating enough chances (although Goodwin has twice hit the bar when a conversion would've seen us go in front), but only conceding one goal is encouraging even if we've been under the cosh for large parts of each game so far. Suggests to me that everybody is throwing their bodies in the way to prevent a goal, and our goalkeeper seems to have turned the corner.
If we're able to improve going forward that'll ease the pressure on the backline as well.
brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:53They (Dorking) would wipe the floor with us if we played them.
Good news, brucie! Not sure if you knew this, but we get to play every team twice! you'll find out soon enough - Nov 8th - if your ridiculous assertion is true.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I did listen to the commentary last night . Promotion, relegation or midtable mediocrity is never decided after 3 games , it not just about whether we're the only team to be gelling together a new side, if we take in to consideration Halstead and Omar didn't play many games, we're in a situation where we have a new goalkeeper, 2 new centre backs, in Marshall and Omar, really no need for anyone to get personal over his sending off, in McGavin/Hanson 2 new central midfielder's, Jarvis, Andrews when fit 2 new strikers, so we're trying to gel a team with a brand new spine to it.

The only thing that shocks me, is, some actually thought our season would start differently to what it has, if we're still seeing individual silly errors, poor collective team performances , inconsistent results at the 12-14 game mark, then is the time to press the panic button.

The one topic that should be of more immediate concern to everyone, is once again, and this has been the case since our return to the NLP we're facing an injury crisis, I don't know what the answer is, but it can't go on, hopefully those at the club are looking in to a real time solution.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:53 Everyone bangs on about how good our opponents are but is that really the case? I doubt that any of them will be challenging this year.

Last night we again had an opposition manager again stating that his team should have won more easily and stating how many chances his team had created against us.
Bromley were no better than us - as the scoreline suggests - 1 goal against 10 men - and it took a cracking shot to beat Halstead. Yes, they pressed with our backs were against the wall, but in fairness to our defence they stood solid and we could have just as easily nicked the win by the odd goal. We are lacking an attacking flair and I think Johnson was expressing his disappointment in a few of the young newbies performances. They need to quickly realise they are now in a physical league and not a playing in an under23's pretty boy's game.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Judging by reports on this site from people who have attended matches, the defence appears to be in order having conceded just one goal in three games.

However, I know it is bleeding obvious, but to win matches you have to score more goals than the opposition. The most you'll earn otherwise is a point.

Comments would suggest that at present the attack is impotent and that is cause for concern.

More worrying though is the fact that another batch of players appear to be spending more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. Torquay has history where this is concerned. It's either a failure in the recruitment process or in training methods and rehabilitation. Perhaps it's something in the Bay air that has a detrimental effect!!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I was there again on Tuesday with all the family. Sadly, it is going to be a long season, I hope to get proved wrong. We were second best all night, they were simply stronger and bigger all over the pitch.

The sending off did not change anything, in my view. The goal was coming and had been from the off. How Bromley did not score six plus goals in beyond me.

Marshall's sending off was him taking one for the team, but he had been caught the wrong side of his man, leaving him little option. His sixth minute booking was the first foul of the game and harsh.

The two wing backs are not up to this level yet and Ali Omar a bench player in my view (but you can't fail to love him). The midfield was poor and overrun all night, the only player showing any ability at this level was Tom Lepslie, who was returning from injury and was never going to last the ninety.

I will continue to follow, support and cheer on Gary and the boys all over the country. I turn up believing we will win every game. COYY
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 16:27 Judging by reports on this site from people who have attended matches, the defence appears to be in order having conceded just one goal in three games.
I'd argue that defence is a good place to start when you're building a new team. If you don't concede, you can't lose. WE didn't have that approach last year - in the first 10 games we average 2 goals conceded a game. That's not sustainable even if you do have a potent attack. Our defence seems pretty decent now, although it's fair to be concerned about the possession and chances we're yielding - and I'd argue that if the attack starts to fire a bit more, those numbers will come down a bit more anyway, since you're not always on the back foot.

There's a lot of room for improvement, but I think the squad does have the scope to do that and until we figure out the best attack (and get our 2 newly signed strikers back!), defending well will always give us a chance to pick up further points (you watch, we'll ship 4 goals at home on Saturday now I've said that)
Nick Potkins wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 17:34 The two wing backs are not up to this level yet and Ali Omar a bench player in my view (but you can't fail to love him). The midfield was poor and overrun all night, the only player showing any ability at this level was Tom Lepslie, who was returning from injury and was never going to last the ninety.
I've not been to any of the games, so it's up to you if you think this opinion is worth anything, but I've said from the start of his time with us that Omar can be a very decent player (at this level) if he's coached. He had a nightmare start, but since then it's apparent he's been receiving lots of coaching and he's been doing ok. (I still expect him to make an error, of course, but that's not too different to most players at this level)

the wing backs haven't done too much so far but I do wonder if that's due in part to the lack of possession in midfield we've been able to keep - they get pinned back when they're forced to defend, and that makes offering an attacking threat difficult. Saying they're "not up to this level" seems harsh, especially since Wyatt played in a title winning side and then had 25 games in the division above. Crowe is a gamble probably based on his youth career, but we've seen Gary improve those sorts of players plenty of times.

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest