Torquay United v Oldham Athletic Sat 6 August KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

Firing up the chariot for the journey down from that there London for first Plainmoor visit in two seasons! Ashamed to say I missed a home game for the first season in over 40 last season. Super excited to see this new team, high hopes for them. Might only recognise four players though.
Hope the crowd will top 4000, and a lovely 3-1 to the gulls, Ali Omar hat-trick 🤭. Getting far too excited.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

Crowd prediction 4,200 (900 away)

Final score 2-1 TQ, Mcgavin and Moxey(pen)
Keeno55
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Keeno55 »

Latics fan in peace….we’ve sold over 1000 for tomorrow’s game which is unbelievable considering the circumstances.
Under the previous ownership we’d have been lucky to sell 200.
Should be a cracking atmosphere and let’s hope it’s a good game.
All the best for the coming season, after tomorrow of course!😆😆
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Over 1000 coming from Oldham, should be a cracking atmosphere
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

thebigp1 wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 16:38 Over 1000 coming from Oldham, should be a cracking atmosphere
Great effort
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Let's hope that stayaway fans make the last minute choice to go to Plainmoor, should be a cracking game. Oh, that's right, they can't because some feckwit at the club won't allow pay at the gate. Dumbest, most stupid decision the club have made.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

davethegull2 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 04:24 Let's hope that stayaway fans make the last minute choice to go to Plainmoor, should be a cracking game. Oh, that's right, they can't because some feckwit at the club won't allow pay at the gate. Dumbest, most stupid decision the club have made.
Agree. Also think the £2 extra on the day is ridiculous, £21 to watch a NL game? Only positive is you can now buy tickets up to 3pm online, remember the hour before kick off fiasco?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Afraid I do not agree with davethegull.

The overwhelming majority of premier and EFL clubs went to cashless turnstiles 20 years ago. In todays, day and age technology speeds up the process and saves money, vastly reduced administration costs, no risk or additional costs incurred for the storage and transportation of £25k plus of cash, and reduced turnstiles ques, I mean what backward notion this is.

I let my season ticket slip couple of years ago, went on the OS Thursday night it took all of about 240 seconds to buy my ticket, whilst I understand not everyone has access to the internet, or is comfortable using it, the absolute majority of us have at least have a smartphone, the process is simple.

Get that it can cause exiles some difficulties, even if you don't know to the day of game whether you can attend or not, buying a ticket off your phone is easy.

Put it quite simply, if your really want to go to the game, you will buy a ticket come what may. If your one of those who stayed at home because of cashless turnstiles, in reality your a poxy excuse maker, who's heart and soul really isn't in it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

forevertufc wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 08:12 Afraid I do not agree with davethegull.

The overwhelming majority of premier and EFL clubs went to cashless turnstiles 20 years ago. In todays, day and age technology speeds up the process and saves money, vastly reduced administration costs, no risk or additional costs incurred for the storage and transportation of £25k plus of cash, and reduced turnstiles ques, I mean what backward notion this is.

I let my season ticket slip couple of years ago, went on the OS Thursday night it took all of about 240 seconds to buy my ticket, whilst I understand not everyone has access to the internet, or is comfortable using it, the absolute majority of us have at least have a smartphone, the process is simple.

Get that it can cause exiles some difficulties, even if you don't know to the day of game whether you can attend or not, buying a ticket off your phone is easy.

Put it quite simply, if your really want to go to the game, you will buy a ticket come what may. If your one of those who stayed at home because of cashless turnstiles, in reality your a poxy excuse maker, who's heart and soul really isn't in it.
Agree with some of what you say Forever but why is it that the butcher the baker the candlestick maker, the mobile hairdresser and the ice cream van can all accept card payments but a football club with aspirations of a return to the EFL can’t?
It’s a very amateurish approach and one which will continue to alienate many fans
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

forevertufc wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 08:12
If your one of those who stayed at home because of cashless turnstiles, in reality your a poxy excuse maker, who's heart and soul really isn't in it.

Describes me to a T. Be careful what you wish for, once cash is removed from society for a single digital currency we lose more privacy than I want to let go of. Use it or lose it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

DB57 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 08:40 Agree with some of what you say Forever but why is it that the butcher the baker the candlestick maker, the mobile hairdresser and the ice cream van can all accept card payments but a football club with aspirations of a return to the EFL can’t?
It’s a very amateurish approach and one which will continue to alienate many fans
I'm total agreement with you. Not saying the current system in place at the club is perfect, it isn't, the match day surcharge if that's still in place wants scrapping, also, I'm guessing having debit card payments at the turnstiles would interrupt the flow of supporters entering the ground, so why can't the club dedicate one turnstile of season and match ticket holders, and have debit card payments/tickets on another..

But I will respectfully stick to my main point to all, which is, the ticketing system is the one we've got for the moment, and if we really want to go to the match, we will get a ticket.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 09:07
Describes me to a T. Be careful what you wish for, once cash is removed from society for a single digital currency we lose more privacy than I want to let go of. Use it or lose it.
Truly get where your coming from, think the powers that be have already done/doing it, how many of us carry cash now.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

The question is Why stop accepting cash? If you want to buy your ticket online, that's absolutely fine, no problem. Why exclude cash? It was never a problem before, so why is it a problem now? The Premiershite is vastly skewed towards Season Tickets, so not relevant. Torquay, in particular, as a holiday town, has a lot of visitors who might wish to attend, but can't. If I was in the UK, I would be working on a Saturday and wouldn't know until around midday if I was going to be free to go. The whole decision smacks of creating a problem where there wasn't one.

Marketing and Sales rule number 1: make it easy, enjoyable and affordable for customers to consume, visit, enjoy your product. Some moronic bean counter has come up with this and needs to be told. Can Torquay United afford to miss out on revenue for any reason? You only have to look at the farce that is Bristows Bench to see nobody thought it through. BB can never, ever, be full capacity because they have to block swathes of seats to separate fans. Design fault, or the result of someone not understanding the function?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Whether we like it or not the system is going cashless unless people wise up to what life would be like without it. That said, this is a match thread so I'll save any more opinion for another time.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Perhaps if the club kept the same system but kept one turnstile per stand for contactless entry? They could charge the £2 surcharge on this form of entry and I wouldn’t see the problem, just the current system ‘punishes’ those who are unsure if they can attend until the morning of the game (work/family etc).