PSF TUFC vs Exeter City 23/07/22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

PSF TUFC vs Exeter City 23/07/22

Post by portugull »

Well I am going to Plainmoor today and I think it will be very interesting to see which players start the game as Gary will not want another drubbing for sure.

I wonder what the team learnt from Argyle. For sure they will not want to back off and Gary has long experience of how to adapt the team which we all know will be at a disadvantage in fitness and knowing one another's play given the short time they have had together.

Expecting a decent crowd today.
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

I'm going to the game today too, and will focus on our gk when he is in play. I may well "tut" and roll my eyes, but will not be booing him or any other player for that matter. If you are stood around my vicinity and want to vent your spleen on him or any other player whether they are having a stinker or not, I may well challenge you. I respect your right to your own opinion, and you have paid the entrance fee, but I despise personal vitriol and Bullying. I am happy to be viewed from beyond my keyboard, and I will challenge without fear of any violence toward you. I expect a tough game today with hopefully a decent display, whatever the result, but I won't be blaming any individual for what is a team effort. The club employ GJ to do that, and when he doesn't he will no doubt one day be replaced himself. Trust the guy in charge, trust the process of pre-season, and enjoy yourselves.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Sounds like Mark Halstead is disappointing Brucie this afternoon, seeing as he's made some "amazing" saves.
TUST member 200 ;-)
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Halstead has made a couple of great saves
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

If Halstead is going to perform like that this season we can just play two at the back.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I knew he'd come good.

Incidentally I see that Yeovil gave Plymouth a far tougher game than we did and only lost 2-0. Some wag on the Argyle forum suggested they had a far tougher game because "unkike Torquay, Yeovil didn't have a defence and a goalkeeper who looked like they had been trained at the circus", which sort of made me chuckle.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

brucie wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 17:40 I knew he'd come good.

Incidentally I see that Yeovil gave Plymouth a far tougher game than we did and only lost 2-0. Some wag on the Argyle forum suggested they had a far tougher game because "unkike Torquay, Yeovil didn't have a defence and a goalkeeper who looked like they had been trained at the circus", which sort of made me chuckle.
That about sums it up, you chuckled,the rest of us were annoyed.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

brucie wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 17:40 I knew he'd come good.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Any more on the alleged racist comment from their CB to Andrews?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Oddly enough I finished the game more worried about our prospects for the season than I did on Tuesday night. Only inept finishing by Exeter and a MOTM performance by Halstead prevented another heavy defeat as our defence was breached time and time again and our midfield conspired to give the ball back to the opposition at every turn. We had only 4 attempts on goal and only 1 in the second half (which admittedly gave us the goal) whereas Exeter were well into double figures.

We have lost two play-makers in Little and CLE and on the evidence of the last three games we have got nowhere close to replacing their lost creative talent.

If teams are willing to play on the ground rather than in the air then we may well struggle on this evidence. We may have the height in midfield which was missing in recent seasons but we do not seem to have the same footballing skill.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

Modgull wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 18:26 Oddly enough I finished the game more worried about our prospects for the season than I did on Tuesday night. Only inept finishing by Exeter and a MOTM performance by Halstead prevented another heavy defeat as our defence was breached time and time again and our midfield conspired to give the ball back to the opposition at every turn. We had only 4 attempts on goal and only 1 in the second half (which admittedly gave us the goal) whereas Exeter were well into double figures.

We have lost two play-makers in Little and CLE and on the evidence of the last three games we have got nowhere close to replacing their lost creative talent.

If teams are willing to play on the ground rather than in the air then we may well struggle on this evidence. We may have the height in midfield which was missing in recent seasons but we do not seem to have the same footballing skill.
To be fair would you not expect that, given we are playing teams who are much better than us. Exeter came very close to winning League 2 last year whilst Plymouth pushing for playoffs two leagues higher. Newport were also top half on League 2 last season and not far from the play offs themselves.

We won’t face any better teams in our league this season expect perhaps Wrexham who may walk it this season.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well for the Halstead bashers he was MOTM by a country mile.

His save just before HT was incredible.United fought hard against City who brought 900 plus fans to Plainmoor.

Goodwin started as Jarvis was injured and we battled well to contain City with every player determined to put the thrashing by Argyle behind them.

At HT a triallist No 26 came on at left wing back and he played really well showing composure and producing some very clever passes. He is called Ben but I hope he gets a contract as he looked to have bags of potential.

The incident involving Andrews resulted in a 5 minute delay after which the Ref spoke to both Managers and when Andrews came off after 88 mins Matt Taylor immediately asked Andrews what happened.No doubt City will put out a Statement in due course.

Brett McGavin scored after 81 mins and the players celebrated despite this being a PSF so we know they care and were determined to show Gary that they mean business. COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bit of a harsh assessment Modgull
I wouldn't say they breached our defence
'time and time again'
I didn't think they got through us that much and created very few clear cut chances. I thought we defended very well
They had some crosses especially first half where Halstead came up with some excellent point blank blocks. He had a good game though he seems to leave cosses to the defence a bit more than Macdonald. I don't think I have ever seen a team pull as many shirts as Exeter, it was quite unbelievable and the shocking referee let them get away with it
Andrews was through in the first half and the guy was blatantly pulling his shirt and ended up hauling him down and the ref waved play on !
Goodwin looks promising and should worry National League defences, we have some taller bigger players it seems eg McGavin who looks a very decent player
Reasonably encouraging I would say today.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Not that harsh actually - Exeter failed to convert several chances in and around our goal area and were only prevented from scoring by excellent goalkeeping and woeful finishing (and even by one of their own men running across goal and getting in the way).
The Exeter front men often made space for themselves on the edge of our penalty area with good movement off their markers, and were supported from midfield and especially from the wings - we found it difficult to cope with the movement and the playing of triangles - basic stuff which Exeter did well. Agree that no 26 triallist looked promising.
Lots of effort and desire, but so far we seem to lack a controlling midfielder to bring everyone into the game and to encourage composure on the ball. Good to see the extra height we now have, so should create more chances from set-pieces this season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As said in a previous post I couldn't make this game so, great to hear reports there were spells in the game our team were a lot more competitive than Tuesday night.

It was also pleasing to hear about a fantastic amount of support for Halstead , especially from behind the goal in the family stand. a little bit of support and positive encouragement, the nerves drop, confidence grows and your keeper plays a blinder, what a strange notion that is, was pleased to hear he had a great game, hopefully his confidence will only grow from here.

Maybe some can accept now, every now and again, like us beating Notts County 5.0 last season, we'll come up against a team that has one of those days in front of goal, which your keeper won't be able to do anything about.
Formerly known as forevertufc