PSF TUFC vs Plymouth Argyle 19.7.22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ive seen the goals and its beyond poor to be honest, friendly or not. Omar looks all over the shop (just like last season) - no one appears to be able to make a tackle. The players look like they are blowing out of their arses after 10 minutes, and true to form 2 goals a game Halstead has done it again. Not content with kicking it straight to an Argyle player he then muffs an easy shot for the fourth and does exactly the same thing for the 5th goal.

I wouldn't trust this bloke to pick up my spuds - hes alienated the crowds already and you can see the players are giving him withering looks as well. Watch the 2 minutes on twitter @pafc.

Frienldy, practice match or whatever it might be - but its abject humliation just the same.
Last edited by brucie on 20 Jul 2022, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We may have lost 5 nil but this was a very good game of Football to watch.

Lets be realistic. Gary has assembled a new squad and a good number of them look like good signings. Argyle were different class and 8/1 for Promotion to the Championship. In Danny Mayor Argyle had an exceptional playmaker and a team who have been in training since mid June.

They were miles better on the night but they should be. Bigger club, bigger budget by miles, bigger squad and a great Goalkeeper who I suspect will end up in the Premier League.

Gary and his team will have learnt a lot last night. I thought Jarvis did well leading the line and Goodwin made a good impression on his debut.

McGavin has a hell of a shot on him and will score goals from midfield.Crowe will not let us down and I refuse to be downhearted. Way to early for that.

What was extraordinary was at 5 nil down the 982 Argyle fans were quiet as a mouse but the Pop Side Drummer and his Choir sang non stop to back the boys in yellow. You will not get that at most other Clubs particularly at National League level.

Finally Wrexham are 6/4 Favourites for Promotion. Crazy odds! I would rather speculate a bet on United at 16/1 given Gary's record.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The Plymouth fans didnt seem at all quiet on the video - as you were at the game did you notice any of our midfield that were capable of making a tackle?
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

I listened in last night and watched the goals just now.

I've had to remind myself its a pre-season friendly and as such the result is meaningless.

However, to my mind, as i was listening, i felt there were question marks over a keeper that has a penchant for letting in more than 3. After all he did it again. But was this evidence of suspect keeping? The commentary described the first three as long shot wonder goals. I cant concur with that looking at the footage. Passed into the net from range would be more appropriate. Maybe the keeper was completely unsighted? Possibly, but do we want a habit of that? Listening in, there were good long shots when the other keeper was on, those were kept out. Then there is the fourth goal - calamitous keeping really. The fifth is arguable unlucky, but in the context of four shockers prior - was it unlucky? I hope Lovatt starts v Exeter and does well...... The problem with playing well at the end of the season means that you played well against a team on holiday and a team so cautious they didnt want to lose (as opposed to wanting to win) so those last couple of performances really need to be considered carefully to the point of suspected irrelevance. And that worry clearly applies to the centre half darling of plainmoor.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You know what is seriously beginning to boil my piss, is the number of people across social media and forums who are commenting on Halstead's performance who weren't at the game. Video my arse, it's the most brief highlights.

Can't be bothered to watch the video, I was actually at the game, I doubt the video shows the five very good saves Halstead made to avoid a rugby score, doubt very much much the video shows the minutes in and around the 4th and 5th goals, our teams was totally over-run in this game, Halstead should never ever have so many saves to make.

Some of you need to get the game into perspective, of course it's not nice getting thumped 0.5, but whether we like it or not Argyle will almost certainly be challenging for promotion to the championship, they are ahead of us in pre-season, we had Andrews, Jarvis, Hanson playing only their second P.S.F all three yet to have 90 minutes the pitch, Goodwin only arrived at the club on the day of the game, my god what were some of you expecting, it's embarrassing reading some of this shite.

None of the first three goals were Halstead's fault, and you no what, it doesn't matter a shit if the 4th and 5th goals were his fault or not, the problem here is a minority of our fans, who seem just hell bent on over analysing every god damn goal he concedes, desperately trying to find an angle to blame him.

Gary Johnson is NOT going back to the board for the second consecutive season asking for more money for 3rd keeper, so get with programme fast Halstead/Lovett are, our keepers, in my opinion Halstead will start the season as no1, I was at the Newport game where Halstead was flawless, he will NOT be tested week in and out, throughout the NL season like last night, so here is a novel idea, because we can't have him turning up scarred shitless of making mistake thanks to the boo boys, just try and support the lad, he might gain some confidence.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

What boils my piss and simmers my shit are the fans who put on their "Player X is rubbish" lenses and look for examples to reinforce their opinion....Armani Little and Jamie Reid being two who have been on the receiving end of this over recent years. Maybe Halstead will have people eating umble pie as the other two did, lets hope so.
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

forevertufc wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 18:35 You know what is seriously beginning to boil my piss, is the number of people across social media and forums who are commenting on Halstead's performance who weren't at the game. Video my arse, it's the most brief highlights.

Can't be bothered to watch the video, I was actually at the game, I doubt the video shows the five very good saves Halstead made to avoid a rugby score, doubt very much much the video shows the minutes in and around the 4th and 5th goals, our teams was totally over-run in this game, Halstead should never ever have so many saves to make.

Some of you need to get the game into perspective, of course it's not nice getting thumped 0.5, but whether we like it or not Argyle will almost certainly be challenging for promotion to the championship, they are ahead of us in pre-season, we had Andrews, Jarvis, Hanson playing only their second P.S.F all three yet to have 90 minutes the pitch, Goodwin only arrived at the club on the day of the game, my god what were some of you expecting, it's embarrassing reading some of this shite.

None of the first three goals were Halstead's fault, and you no what, it doesn't matter a shit if the 4th and 5th goals were his fault or not, the problem here is a minority of our fans, who seem just hell bent on over analysing every god damn goal he concedes, desperately trying to find an angle to blame him.

Gary Johnson is NOT going back to the board for the second consecutive season asking for more money for 3rd keeper, so get with programme fast Halstead/Lovett are, our keepers, in my opinion Halstead will start the season as no1, I was at the Newport game where Halstead was flawless, he will NOT be tested week in and out, throughout the NL season like last night, so here is a novel idea, because we can't have him turning up scarred shitless of making mistake thanks to the boo boys, just try and support the lad, he might gain some confidence.
Too many keyboard warriors who know jack all about the game and happier trying to bully players out of the team.
Can't see many players reading this site anyway, with all the bile and bitterness being spewed,so carry on being tough guys hiding behind your anonymity,
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Chasing shadows for 70 minutes. Difficult game to watch if like me, you hadn’t seen the other preseason games.

Plymouth have a very good squad that must be one of the bookies favourites to finish in the playoffs, if not better. We in contrast, are a couple of weeks behind match fitness and still gelling as a squad.

For me, Moxey and Halstead had a poor games however Goodwin came on in the 2nd half and started to turn the tide with his strength and commitment to a tackle. No doubt in my mind he will become a fans favourite if he stays fit.

We missed Hall and Lapsley in midfield, anyone know where they are?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

forevertufc wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 18:35 You know what is seriously beginning to boil my piss, is the number of people across social media and forums who are commenting on Halstead's performance who weren't at the game. Video my arse, it's the most brief highlights.

spot on Forever :goodpost: :goodpost:

i unfortunately had to stand around some complete cretins on Tuesday joining in with Argyle fans when Halstead would take a goal kick

embarrassing
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

As usual Forever makes total sense. I was there too and would rather believe my own eyes than listen to people who were not present criticising individual players rather than the team.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I appreciate I wasn't at the game nor have I seen the 'highlights'.

However the comments on this site - admittedly mixed - do little to alleviate my concerns over Mark Halstead.

I've nothing against him personally and he's probably a personable character.

However, as previously posted, he has made 116 1st team appearances in 13 years, several in leagues below the National League. This would suggest that he has never enjoyed managerial confidence at any of the ten clubs he has represented. Ten clubs is quite a wide sample so it appears unlikely that his lack of appearances was down to a personality clash with one manager.

As I've said before, if Halstead is the regular number one I believe that Torquay will need to score an awful lot of goals to win matches.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You'd think that Plymouth might have already won league 1 if you read some of the comments on here.

Some of the excuses on here are laughable. Goodwin has only just turned up - so what? he didnt start anyway so had little effect on the result.

Dont watch the highlights mate Halsteads keeping is horrific. The TTF match blog identified Halstead as being at fault for the 4th and 5th goals - of course they did. Thats not abuse its just fair comment.

I'm sure we would all like him to do well - but the reality is that he is error prone. This was a friendly so no pressure either.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Oh give it a rest, Brucie, and give the man a break.

I bet you made the same negative, disparaging, criticising, confidence-sapping comments when Boris became PM.

=Z
TUST member 200 ;-)
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Getting sick to death of this relentless player bashing. We all have our opinions but this is getting ridiculous. Better tell GJ he is doing a shit job and get out of the club if he keeps picking said shit players. This one thread I will not be revisiting, as I will not be told that one keyboard warriors opinion is fact, as I actually have eyes and can think for myself. I'll always get behind whoever is selected, rather than "boo" my own players. This place is becoming toxic, and best left to the cowards on their phones in their bedrooms
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Feels like I say this every season, and even at other times during the season - but there seems to be a section of our fanbase that would actively prefer the team to be doing badly. Every time, there's the same people posting the same "the sky is falling!" stuff. It's more than 2 weeks before the start of the season.

Are there questions that need to be answered? Absolutely. That's why we play the games rather than just engraving "Wrexham" on the trophy now. Goalkeeper could be a question, who knows if our strikers will perform together, and hey, we have a lot of midfielders without appearing to have too much defensive cover. But coming on here after a pre-season defeat against a team divisions above and bitching serves no purpose.

We could be 15 points clear at the top of division by february, having scored 80 goals and conceded 12 and you'd still have people complaining, probably that the food stand doesn't have the correct types of pie and "it's a f***king disgrace!" or asking why Johnson is held in such high regard when clearly, given how good the team is, any muppet could be managing them to success.

do you get any joy out of following the side? Is it entertaining when (if) you go to games? Because it's never appeared that you've ever had any fun being a supporter, so really - what's the point?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.