Squad 22/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Squad 22/23

Post by CourtierGull »

Will update where necessary

GK -
Mark Halstead
Rhys Lovett

DEF -
Dean Moxey
Ali Omar
Dan Martin
Dylan Crowe
Ross Marshall
Ollie Tomlinson
Ben Wyatt

C MID -
Brett Mcgavin
Tom Lapslie
Asa Hall
Ryan Hanson
Alex Moyse
Shaun Donnellan

W MID -
Kieron Evans (Loan Cardiff City)

ST -
Aaron Jarvis
Olaf Koszela
Corie Andrews
Will Goodwin (Loan Stoke City)
Last edited by CourtierGull on 31 Jul 2022, 02:46, edited 6 times in total.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

Updated for Ross Marshall, still need more attacking options and another goalkeeper, but it’s shaping up well
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I’d only expect to see one CF signed before the first game, given GJ usually plays 3 up top. Coming on nicely.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Seems pretty obvious we'll be playing a 3-5-2, using the pacy Martin and Crowe as wing backs.

GK: Halstead (I think GJ will be giving him a chance)

DF: Omar-Marshall-Moxey (possibly Hall will play there if necessary, although I still we need another centre-half)

Wing Backs: Crowe & Martin

Midfield: Lapslie + one of Hanson/McGavin/Hall (dependent upon opposition, could see us playing with two "defensive" midfielders) + Evans in the forward mf role (again, McGavin could maybe play there)

Strikers: Jarvis + AN Other, although I suppose if we don't find one we like we could have Evans playing the...er..Evans role from the past two seasons.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

happytorq wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 14:44 Seems pretty obvious we'll be playing a 3-5-2, using the pacy Martin and Crowe as wing backs.

GK: Halstead (I think GJ will be giving him a chance)

DF: Omar-Marshall-Moxey (possibly Hall will play there if necessary, although I still we need another centre-half)

Wing Backs: Crowe & Martin

Midfield: Lapslie + one of Hanson/McGavin/Hall (dependent upon opposition, could see us playing with two "defensive" midfielders) + Evans in the forward mf role (again, McGavin could maybe play there)

Strikers: Jarvis + AN Other, although I suppose if we don't find one we like we could have Evans playing the...er..Evans role from the past two seasons.
I would like to see it more shaping up as a similar 4-3-3 to what we played at times last season, with:

GK: Halstead
DF: Crowe - Omar/Marshall - Moxey - Martin
MF: Lapslie - Hanson - McGavin
FW: Evans - Jarvis - O'Connell/another wide attacking player to come in

Expecting competition for Jarvis and Halstead to come in before the season starts too
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hall seems to contribute so much to the team through leadership and a decent haul of goals, is he really that shot to warrant being relegated to squad filler? Isn't he good enough to warrant a midfield partner doing all the running while he dictates play?

I'm asking because I only saw him on a couple of occasions last season but the season before I saw almost every game. He's such an influential player I'm just surprised so many see him as merely a backup.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 07:43 Hall seems to contribute so much to the team through leadership and a decent haul of goals, is he really that shot to warrant being relegated to squad filler? Isn't he good enough to warrant a midfield partner doing all the running while he dictates play?

I'm asking because I only saw him on a couple of occasions last season but the season before I saw almost every game. He's such an influential player I'm just surprised so many see him as merely a backup.
On the basis that a combination of youth and maturity is usually the best formula for success, I am of the opinion that Hall and Moxey will be the first two names on the 'Gaffers' team sheet. Research confirms that players average age has increased by 1.6 years over the last decade, likely related to a combination of multiple factors; diet, training, injury prevention and players taking more care of themselves.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that there is a perfect age to be a successful player, but my question is what is that age? does anyone really know? When one watches the Quatar World Cup will people be saying these players are too old: Messi (35) Ronaldo (37) Modric (37) Alves (39) Silva (38) Neuer (36) Giroud (36) Miranda (38). More likely they will be singing their praises.

And yet, here we are, a National League outfit struggling to be thankful to have 'Captain Fantastic' with us for a another season. Bewildering!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If we are talking about an injury free fit Asa Hall then no question he makes a starting 11. However towards the end of the season when he did start or came on he looked a lot slower and leggy. It really did show when the game transitioned, he struggled to keep up or get back.
I m told that he is still not 100%. Maybe he would be better suited to drop back into defence.
IMO unless he's 100% then he doesn't start.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Hall if fit would be nailed on for a place in my starting eleven,with age comes wisdom, he reads the game better than probably anyone in the squad and while not the obvious playmaker amongst the talent we have his ability to read danger is second to none,the other senior citizen of the team, Moxey, may no longer be able to compete with the young speed mechants but invariably puts himself in the right place at the right time. Additionally after many years of football they have what I call moral fibre, they know things can go wrong in any game, but they dont drop their heads and try to make things happen.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

SBP wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 14:19 If we are talking about an injury free fit Asa Hall then no question he makes a starting 11. However towards the end of the season when he did start or came on he looked a lot slower and leggy. It really did show when the game transitioned, he struggled to keep up or get back.
I m told that he is still not 100%. Maybe he would be better suited to drop back into defence.
IMO unless he's 100% then he doesn't start.
For me, Asa offers so much more than just his ability on the ball. He gives our midfield structure, and has great positional strength. His leadership is impeccable and he weighs in with a good number of both headed goals and penalties. The other thing is how noticeable his absence is when he’s out injured.

For me, Hall must start whenever possible
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Its a fair point Nick but the way GJ wants to use a 4-3-3 and play at a fast tempo it makes it increasingly difficult as every player needs to be on it. I don't think Asa is able to play this way. Its hardly surprising with his injuries over the last few years. Of course he does bring so much more especially from set pieces etc however I don't think playing this way is suited for Asa.
How many games will we get out of him 20 if we are lucky.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 07:43 Hall seems to contribute so much to the team through leadership and a decent haul of goals, is he really that shot to warrant being relegated to squad filler? Isn't he good enough to warrant a midfield partner doing all the running while he dictates play?

this is a fair question (i think it was in response to my not really having listed him as starter?), but I think any thing about Asa Hall at this point in his career has to come with an asterisk attached*

*if he's fit

I felt that at times last season he was playing when he wasn't fully fit and seemed to struggle. Yes, a fully fit and ready Asa Hall would be in our starting lineup every time, but I'm not convinced that he's going to be able to play 30+ games from the start this season, and I feel that's why we've brought in young midfielders as well. They'll learn a lot from being a professional in the same squad as him, and we'll also be able to 'manage' Hall through the inevitable niggles he'll have. As somebody else said, though, we need at 100%. We can't afford to risk players who aren't able to do everything we need of them; we saw last season what happens if you have a bad start.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I know that others on this site might dismiss my concerns, but I am deeply worried that the only goalkeeper in the squad to date is Halstead.

He's made 116 first team appearances in 13 years as a professional footballer. This would indicate that he is not very good.

This would appear to be Gary Johnson's assessment as well, having discarded him after opening games last season until MacDonald was injured.

I consider it a matter of urgency that someone with a much improved - not difficult - record than Halstead is recruited as a matter of urgency. Otherwise I can see Torquay needing to score four or five goals to win matches.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 16:15 I know that others on this site might dismiss my concerns, but I am deeply worried that the only goalkeeper in the squad to date is Halstead.

He's made 116 first team appearances in 13 years as a professional footballer. This would indicate that he is not very good.

This would appear to be Gary Johnson's assessment as well, having discarded him after opening games last season until MacDonald was injured.

I consider it a matter of urgency that someone with a much improved - not difficult - record than Halstead is recruited as a matter of urgency. Otherwise I can see Torquay needing to score four or five goals to win matches.

I think he'll start the season in the first XI. Everybody knows how bad he was at the start of last season, but his appearances towards the end of the season suggested that he's come back into GJ's good graces somewhat. Furthermore, our entire defence was suspect at the beginning of 21/22 - Omar started poorly, as did Dan Martin on the left. It's up to you to decide whether they had no confidence because of Halstead, or if Halstead was uncertain because of the defence. Doesn't really matter now, does it?

I'm prepared to give him a chance, anyway.

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Another goalkeeper will be signed simply because all squads have at least two. Interesting to see whose on the bench tonight.