Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat 7 May KO 12.30

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat 7 May KO 12.30

Post by portugull »

A rather belated post but a very good performance from the yellows against a Chesterfield side who brought 890 Fans to Plainmoor on a beautiful Spring day.

United outplayed the Spireites from the first whistle but took 70 minutes to score but the goal was well worth waiting for. Stephen Duke- McKenna
who has a very good game shifted the ball from right foot to left and struck a lovely crisp low shot which fizzed into the far corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. Well done Stephen a cracking goal which gave your fans, including me, a great deal of pleasure.

12 minutes later Armani Little was fouled right in front of the ref and Armani scored with ease.

The visiting fans started to leave early but huge credit to them and their club for turning up in such numbers.

Ali Omar was voted MOTM and did play very well and I feel sure will be offered a contract for next season. Well done Ali.

In this mood I think Stockport will find they have to be at their best to beat United on Wednesday.
COYY

w
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

It felt like a really close, entertaining match but the reality may have been that Chesterfield came with little ambition and got just what they deserved - nothing. Most of the concerted attempts were United's - 4 (3 on target) in the first half, 7 (3 on target) in the second - whereas I can remember very few attempts by the Spireites. Well though Omar played (I particularly like the way he tries to link up with the midfield instead of just launching long balls), I couldn't really see him as MOTM. Duke McKenna and Little tie for that honour in my book with Lewis close behind for winning his battle with Quigley. Well done to the Chesterfield fans for attending in such numbers and to keeper Loach for applauding the home fans at the end of the match. All-in-all a wonderful conclusion to the home season and congratulations to McDonald and Lewis for their awards.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

BTW - what happened to Hall? I heard he had been intentionally elbowed but is this true? If it is (the TV coverage should prove one way or the other), I hope the Club will take matters up with Chesterfield.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Modgull wrote: 07 May 2022, 19:13 BTW - what happened to Hall? I heard he had been intentionally elbowed but is this true? If it is (the TV coverage should prove one way or the other), I hope the Club will take matters up with Chesterfield.
Looked like a red on tele, although our pen was very soft.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Admiral wrote: 07 May 2022, 23:10 Looked like a red on tele, although our pen was very soft.
Agree it looked like the Chesterfield player did actively snap his elbow back and not a natural jumping motion. He didn't even get a yellow - and I can't recall if it was a drop ball afterwards. What I am driving at is that if their was no sanction at the time, perhaps the TV evidence will be reviewed and the lad will get a ban which could impact their playoffs or ability to get there.

For our own bit of sweet revenge, it was the same fella who fouled Little for the pen. Not much contact and Little took a tumble. Nice bit of karma.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 07 May 2022, 19:13 BTW - what happened to Hall? I heard he had been intentionally elbowed but is this true? If it is (the TV coverage should prove one way or the other), I hope the Club will take matters up with Chesterfield.
Should have been a red card.
A pity as the ref had a good game - didnt take any sh1t from the moaning Chesterfield players or bench.
As has been said a bit of karma for a "generous" penalty award given against the same player.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest