TUFC v Notts County Sat 9th April KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just being honest, when the team sheets were passed around in the Gulls nest, looking at the two starting line ups, I felt our team could match Notts County for a period, but the striking difference was the two substitute bench's, even commented with friends that there might be a need to race into a 2 goal lead and hopefully hang on, as they had options to bring off the bench, that could change the game, where as, we didn't.

Torquay started with three at the back, personally wondered whether this was the right tactic, and my fears grow as with Notts County very first attack, they opened us up like a can of spam, maybe a useful early wake up call, as my fears proved unfounded, as, in an attacking sense that was about as good as it got for Notts County in the first half.

The speed of our passing, tempo of play, and movement off the ball just too hot for County to handle, our pressing with out the ball was, as good as I've seen all season, never allowing Notts to settle, think there needs to be praise on the game management as well, we've seen our team come out of the blocks quickly before, maybe trying to keep the high intensity going for to long a period, only to tire with out many options on the bench, yesterday the team seemed to settle into a good rhythm, and slow the game down at the right time.

County were expecting a tough game, but I think our start to the game had them completely rattled, their discipline started to slide, even arguments between County players, as they misplaced passes, and conceded possession to easily. Wootton, Arter, Rodrigues anonymous in the first half, until his substitution I hadn't realised Vincent, who'd been a stand out performer at his time on loan at Torquay was even on the pitch. Our first half goals as good as you'll see, individual brilliance of Little, and the approach play for the second wouldn't have been misplaced in a higher league, well deserved lead at the break.

Think we all knew Notts would come out after the break and play a lot better than their first half showing, the introduction of Nemane started to cause us problem instantly, think we all knew the next goal in this game could be crucial, and we saw a big moment in the 50th minute when Sam appeared to miss an open goal from a Nemane cross, the arrival of Martin, perhaps forced by Wearne's injury, however would have been the correct change anyway, took away the threat of Nemane, Martin who for me hasn't always had the praise from us fans he's deserved, stopped nemane from using his pace to get behind our defence.

County would continue to have a lot more attacking joy through out the second half, MacDonald flawless in goal, Lewis immense at the back, along with Wynter, Moxey and Martin, either dealt with the threat, or throw themselves in front of everything County had in an attacking sense, however there was nothing anyone on the pitch could do about Wootton's goal.

This is where us fans wanted to see the team stand up and be counted, often found wanting in some games, but not today, as the fans who'd provided an electric atmosphere through out the game, got behind the team, and the players soon got control back, Connor Evans would add another two goals off superb quality completing one of the best hat tricks I've seen from a Torquay player, and Little, and it's such a shame that, there are still some fans in certain quarters criticising him at every point, dumped half of County's defence on the floor to add a 5th.

The comedy moment came when we saw from the popside Gary Johnson, jumping up and down, succeeding in get getting the entire Bristow's bench bouncing with the popside, this felt good, it felt right, the fans were outstanding, and there wasn't single player in a yellow jersey than didn't go above and beyond, hard act to follow, but we need another 8 performances like this one, and great day at the office.

I wouldn't argue with Connor Evans Motm award, however, now Lapslie is fit, we're seeing the best of him, he optimises everything you want to see from a player at this level, never gives up, first to every loose ball, plays with total passion, he's the player that makes us tick, maybe the find, and player of the season contender along with Little.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Terrific team and individual performances, wow! And mostly kept our cool despite the man in black allowing so much physical contact, his desire to book our players and ignore blatant fouls by the opposition, and despite the pathetic histrionics and simulation of injury orchestrated by the County captain.
Thank you one and all at Plainmoor for a wonderful day.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

In an indifferent season its easy to remember stand out games and this is one of them,probably the best of the season, I really thought we could win but not by anything like five to one, I agree the pressing game seems to suit us and not something I have seen from us before this season, you need fitness for that appraoch to work and we seem to be lucky at the moment in that respect. Where did the FA find that ref other than he has the same surname as a Premier league I used to watch, first 20 either side could have got away with GBH, and from then on you got booked for actually tacking the opposition. Best bit for me was watching Wright running on to a ball and crossing it for our second or third, I was screaming slow down your 37 , thats not your job, how wrong was I.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Some games and performances leave you buzzing on a real high for the rest of the weekend and that was one !
Everything was just right, perfect performance, goals, pitch , weather, atmosphere
The vastly experienced Johnson outthought Birchnall yet again.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Gutted I couldn’t be there to see that one, dread 19 virus!

When do the tickets go on sale for Woking!
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Perhaps that game will put an end to all the stupid criticism of Little. What a difference he makes to this team, and his goals yesterday were class. Johnson has now got these players playing as he wants them to, and it would be good if most of them can be kept together for next season, with one or two additions perhaps. We have been improving game on game, and the remaining games of this season will tell if the improvements are real. The players also look a lot fitter, which is borne out by all the running they do. Notts County manager said in his post match interview that Torquay had the runners. (which they didn't). On their fans forum page one of their fans said he wanted NC to sign Lemonhaigh Evans last summer. I hope they don't do that this summer. We need to keep these players together now. I'm sure they will make a good impression on this league next season.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Its sometimes interesting to get the opposition supporters' view and that was certainly the case with this game. As EO said one of their fans rued the fact that CLE wasn't recruited by them in the summer but most telling for me was the view that Wright was the dominant force up front for us pressurizing their defenders into mistakes and coordinating our attacks. Surprisingly, no mention of Little and interesting that Nemane was credited as their MOTM despite only playing half the game! Not surprisingly the manager takes most of the blame!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Modgull wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 08:28 Its sometimes interesting to get the opposition supporters' view and that was certainly the case with this game. As EO said one of their fans rued the fact that CLE wasn't recruited by them in the summer but most telling for me was the view that Wright was the dominant force up front for us pressurizing their defenders into mistakes and coordinating our attacks. Surprisingly, no mention of Little and interesting that Nemane was credited as their MOTM despite only playing half the game! Not surprisingly the manager takes most of the blame!
I think they are missing Cameron to be honest, and that's a key reason Wright got so much joy up front. And one of their other centre backs is just back from injury. Amazing job from the evergreen Wright.

Nemane offered them a spark, albeit short-lived. Difficult to pick a motm from county, they were out classed everywhere on the park.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 14:14 When do the tickets go on sale for Woking!
They already are...

https://wokingfc.ktckts.com/event/wok21 ... vs-torquay
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest