Former Torquay United manager Frank O'Farrell has died at the age of 94.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Former Torquay United manager Frank O'Farrell has died at the age of 94.

Post by Nick Potkins »

Former Manchester United, Leicester City and Torquay United manager Frank O'Farrell has died at the age of 94.

Fantastic gentleman, RIP Frank, thinking of your family at this time.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60649182

Sad news of one of Torquay's true legends.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Very sad news. Mind you, he had a good innings... not many of us are going to reach the grand ol' age of 94.

As you say Standup... one of Torquay's true legends. One of very few people these days who rightly deserves the accolade.

RiP Mr O'Farrell.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

I used to like seeing him walking to Plainmoor for home games until some bright spark at the club rescinded his free ticket ! Don’t know if that was ever sorted out ??

Anyway a sad loss, a total gent RIP Mr O’Farrell
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Gutted, was always there when TQY needed him
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

So sad to hear of the passing of our greatest ever Manager. A lovely man and a total Gentleman.

Frank played for West Ham and Preston before becoming Player Manager at Weymouth. From there he joined the Gulls, he also managed Leicester City, Manchester United and Cardiff.

Manchester United treated him with contempt, Matt Busby told tales behind his back.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

What a great man, so friendly and modest,
always had time for a conversation, easily the best years of my time as a Torquay supporter when he was manager, what a great team he built.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

How do we recognise this great man, apart from a minute silence. I would recommend at our next home game v Aldershot we stand and hold a minuets applause on 65 minutes. Frank arrived at Plainmoor in May 1965 💛
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Rename the Pop Side?
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

Wolborough wrote: 08 Mar 2022, 08:42 Rename the Pop Side?
I'd go with that... plus the applause at the next home game.

'The O'Farrell Pop Side'... very fitting.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I would have thought the next Saturday home game against Weymouth would be the most appropriate for the applause given O'Farrell's connection with that club.
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

FRANK O'FARRELL RIP

TUST STATEMENT

Like all of The Gulls family, the TUST board were greatly saddened to learn of Frank O'Farrell's passing on Sunday.

The word 'legend' is used too often in footballing circles but in the case of Frank the term has never been more appropriate. He managed the club during one of the most successful spells in its history and after a career which took him to the very top of the English game, he returned to Plainmoor for two further spells as manager.

More than this, he took the club and the town to heart and made it his home, continuing to be a regular visitor to Plainmoor until recent years.

Many of us on the TUST board have personal memories of Frank, both as a manager and as an acquaintance. On behalf of all of our members we send sincere condolences to his family and everyone close to him.
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Thanks for the memories, Frank - RIP.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I met Frank O'Farrell on a number of occasions and he was a warm hearted friendly man and a great human being.

I will never forget the day he invited me up to Plainmoor for some treatment on my knee which I injured playing for Upton Vale in the South Devon League. What an extraordinary gesture.

I well remember one of his first signings was John Bond who played at left back.He was a great character and he used to have the Pop Side in stitches because he had such a sense of humour. We called him the "muffin man".He played 145 games for United.

Bill Kitchener 184 games, Tony Scott 96 games, Ken Brown 53 games and Tommy Spratt 65 games were all signings which contributed to a golden period in our history with Frank at the helm.

94 a wonderful innings from a wonderful man. RIP.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Frank's funeral was at 10.00 am today. Apparently the cortege drove along Marnham Road for fans to pay their respects. I wasn't there but attended the requiem mass (at what is also my family's 'home' church) and I can report that Frank had a fitting send off.

For those interested, the reading was taken from St Paul to Romans C14 V7-12, the hymns were Oh Lord My God, The Lord's My Shepherd, Abide With Me and Sweet Sacrament Divine, the music for reflection was The Banks Of My Own Lovely Lee (there weren't many dry eyes during that ballad) and the recessional music was Danny Boy.

Apart from members of his own fellow congregation at Our Lady Help of Christians and St Denis and a number of fans, attendees included Robin Stubbs representing his first and the best team to play for the club, Bruce Rioch, who worked so closely with Frank in the '80's and managed one or two other teams, John Impey, who also managed Weymouth and TUFC, David Easton, former club secretary, David Thomas, Keith Perry, and Gordon Hines who all reported on our ups and downs in the local press and Simon Baker former board member.

The eulogy was given jointly by his younger brother Jim who gave us a humorous insight into his younger days and grandson Richard Coombes who spoke about Frank's generous nature in supporting others as well as his football career.

Rest in Peace Frank