Wealdstone v Torquay Saturday 26th February 2020

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Wealdstone v Torquay Saturday 26th February 2020

Post by standupsitdown »

Wealdstone's website currently says tickets not on sale.
When I looked last week they were selling them online for both home or away areas (segregated).
Now I know I can definitely go to the match I can't buy a ticket.
I assume they'll have pay on the gate if they don't start online sales again.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Just read that the game is being played behind closed doors due to a prohibition order on the stadium resulting from safety concerns.
Very disappointing.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

The game can't even be live streamed due to restrictions on streaming live games at 3pm.

Surely it would've been best to postpone the game or, at the very least, move it to another time to be able to live stream it?

Typical that this is one of the closer games for the likes of me and many SE based exiles.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Both teams have plenty of free midweeks. It should be postponed and played when fans can attend. And Wealdstone would not lose the gate money.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This Match should be POSTPONED. It is a no brainer surely.

Can we request the National League intervene to Postpone the Fixture?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 12:11 Both teams have plenty of free midweeks. It should be postponed and played when fans can attend. And Wealdstone would not lose the gate money.
Losing gate money might concentrate Wealdstone's mind on keeping their ground in working order.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Might be wrong but thought I read it was the Wrexham fans who smashed down the pitch surround barrier 'celebrating' their winning goal. No surprise there.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 16:21 Might be wrong but thought I read it was the Wrexham fans who smashed down the pitch surround barrier 'celebrating' their winning goal. No surprise there.
The barriers were damaged during a match between Wealdstone and Dover on the 15 Jan, last month at which time the Council told Wealdstone to get it fixed. They club appears to have tinkered with the barriers safety element but there was a further incident with the barriers when the club hosted Wrexham more recently, hence the council ordering the club to shut the ground to spectators until the remedial works to replace the entire Pitch Perimeter Barrier has been completed. Given Wealdstone expect to complete the work by the next home game it makes you wonder what the hell Wealdstone have been doing since the original incident on 15th January and subsequent Council safety and remedial works advise. My garden fence fell down during the storm but it did not take me 8 weeks to fix it.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

If they can’t let fans in the game should be postponed to Torquay awarded the points.
Behind closed doors was never an option prior to COVID and shouldn’t be now.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Very disappointed with this. I can only assume, Torquay United are happy to play this behind closed doors, therefore this question of 'why', needs to to address to them. Sadly, as we have seen before, there is no statement from us, only Wealdstone.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Yes, it's not good enough that TUFC haven't released their own statement to the loyal away support and have relied on Wealdstone to communicate this. When will the club learn.
I would think the National league have insisted that the game goes ahead and Torquay wouldn't have any option but to play? But it would be good to hear the club's view
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am surprised that you are surprised that there is a lack of info coming out of Torquay, its has been like that for several years, there is a supposed media team who obviouly only turn up on match days, if we have a new signing the first we hear is when they are announced on matchdays although most have been training with us for a week, there is the weekly fans make all the difference speech trotted out but that wears thin when on the one hand we can be so inportant and on the other its left to an away club to tell us that they are playing behind closed doors.
ministander
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: willie brown

Post by ministander »

Myself and 5 others were travelling up for this game, hotel booked, train booked, .
very poor communication from our club, really dissapointed.
Going to go and watch Wimbledon at their new ground instead.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Culmstock gull…….you are spot on.
The people responsible for media at Plainmoor……actually, is there anyone at Plainmoor?
A very boring website, and a complete lack of communication with supporters except for the random player interviews and the occasional GJ message.
All reaction with TUFC media, no action.