Torquay United v Barnet Sat 19 Feb KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Too many players had poor performances yesterday to secure all three points - indeed we were fortunate to draw - a very good one-on-one save by McDonald keeping the scores level late on. Only 9 attempts on goal and three on target says it all - their keeper was rarely troubled as we continued to shoot high throughout the game. 'Make the keeper play' was the watchword in such conditions.

Why do we persist with Little on dead-ball deliveries? They were poor all game. Lapslie was a liability, as was Martin, and Wearne was anonymous. Hall struggled manfully to keep the midfield together and Duke-McKenna was our best outlet, shaded for MOTM for me by CLE with two well-taken goals and a really lively performance.

Couldn't see a way back for Barnet until, playing well with the wind McDonald decided to roll the ball out, catching his defence unawares and allowing Barnet to bully Moxey and Martin before tapping in their lifeline first goal. It took the wind out of United's sails and set them up for a difficult second half against the elements. In the end a point won and aspirations of the playoffs all but ended.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

A bang average effort yesterday. Can think of only four players who performed ok, Lewis, Moxey, CLE avd my MOM Duke- McKenna. I agree on the dead ball comments, criminal that we didn’t hit the target with those free kicks as their keeper needed to made to work.

Little seems to have suffered a relapse on his form and gone back to shocking delivery !!!

Worrying that our striking hopes are down to. 37 yr old who isn’t match fit. We missed Armstrong so much and a shame it wasn’t a loan to the end of the season.

Still perplexed that GJ said that sone if the squad weren’t gourd enough a while ago and here we are with the majority still there !

It’s mid table for us now no chance of gate crashing 7th or above so let’s focus on next season perhaps and building a better squad on limited funds !!
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

Little’s dead ball delivery’s? Don’t get me wrong his first 2 free kicks wasn’t good enough for his usual standard, but his last one was very close and unlucky! As for the corners he must of had around 10 or so and I can only remember one being over hit, especially in them tricky conditions everyone bar 1 was put into a good area. We also scored from 1 of his wide free kicks so that makes it 3 games in a row that we have score from set plays 🤷🏻‍♂️
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

This was a game spoilt by a very strong wind which led to scores of throw ins in front of Bristows Bench, a poor referee and a Barnet team who committed foul after foul leading to 6 yellow cards although the final one was for time wasting by the visiting keeper.

Connor scored 2 good goals but the second one was a thing of beauty and the best moment of the match.Duke McKenna received a pass from Asa Hall and slipped his marker, rocketed down the wing and crossed a perfect ball for Connor to volley home for 2-0.

The match changing moment came in the 37th minute when Dean Moxey sustained a head injury causing a 5 minute delay. The ref ignored the stricken player who did not move for several minutes, allowed play to continue and Barnet scored from a tap in.

Then in stoppage time Barnet clearly handled in the penalty area and the ref chose not to see it but instead booked Duke McKenna. I so wish I could see the Referees Assessor Report on this incident.

The second half was scrappy and devoid of quality until Barnet equalised with a superb strike by Mason- Clarke.

Duke McKenna was outstanding for United and we await a similar show from the young man when we take on Boreham Wood on Tuesday evening the Wood having lost 2-0 at Maidenhead yesterday.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I don't think that result has helped our chances. BW will have been told in no uncertain terms that promotion is more important than the FA Cup .
They will be more up for it on Tuesday than if they had beaten Maidenhead and can't see them losing two in tbe space of 3 days. Please prove me wrong Torquay, every player will have to up their game and produce a real performance for that to happen.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest