Radio Devon and the demise of the BBC

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Dutchgull, hilarious when someone only wants to read about football but clicks on a thread titled ' Radio Devon and the demise of the BBC' and spends even more logging in to tell us how crap the thread is :lol:

Thing is with BT, Virgin, Amazon and Sky it is a personal choice, if you want to watch their content you can choose to pay, a small, medium or large subscription depending on what you want to watch.

The BBC which of course isn't just about TV, payment of the licence fee is still an offence you can be prosecuted for with fines I believe up to £1000 so really have no choice unless you don't have any TV receiving equipment, I rarely if ever watch BBC tv , do listen some BBC radio more than happy to pay small subscription to carry on doing so.
Formerly known as forevertufc
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Dutchgull wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 18:28 Read another thread then !!
Scroll on !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It is you that should look for another site...and take the other total t**TS with you. You are NOT a football fan.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

North Curry House wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 20:18 It is you that should look for another site...and take the other total t**TS with you. You are NOT a football fan.

So I am not a football fan !! That's something I shall dispute with you !!

My first game at Plainmoor was in 1971. I have worked voluntarily at home games for nearly forty years. I worked in the old programme shop in the stand before Bristows Bench was built......Do YOU remember that ? !! I have sold 50/50 tickets since they were introduced 1994. I also sold lottery tickets all around Kingsteignton when United ran such a thing. I have travelled all over the country supporting Torquay to such exotic places as Workington ( !! ) Carlisle Darlington (in a mini bus FFS !! ) Scunthorpe and of course all of the Wembley occasions. I think I have missed less than twenty home games since 1974/75 season.

Does that qualify me as a football and especially a Torquay United fan ????
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Only a supporter since 1971? You are just a boy!

My first mach was in 1967/68 season, when we had a proper team. My first away match was against Aston Villa in the old division 3. Villa had just been relegated. We travelled to Birmingham on a special train and won 1-0. Mickey Cave, seven minutes from the end. Over 28000 in attendance. The date, I will never forget, 7th November 1970.

When I could, I too travelled on future away games to Carlisle and the like. I recall winning there (Duane Darby)1-0 in Warnock's time. He shook our hands at the end and thanked us for travelling so far.

I was one of a very few, who drove to Wolves for the second leg of the area final of the Sherpa Can Trophy in 1989. The first match in this country after the Hillsborough disaster, three days before. No one gave us a chance to win by two goals. Edwards and Loram thought otherwise...and we won 2-0, on their two sided ground.

I also saw us safety to Wembley away at Burnley and went to all our playoff matches, plus every Wembley appearance.

Oh, and I too sold programmes in the lane by the away end in my first few years. There use to be an office at the end of the grandstand. I sold them with Sam Stuckey and his wife (Bruce's uncle and auntie), Ian Hayman also sold programmes at this time.

Although the ground is fantastic, a great improvement the playing side had gone backwards since those days.

I have a season ticket and have not missed a match. Roll on next season, I hope we can mount a sustained challenge for the title.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

North Curry House wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 20:18 It is you that should look for another site...and take the other total t**TS with you. You are NOT a football fan.
So basically what you are saying is that no one can be a football fan if they have a point of view on any other topic.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

" Only a supporter since 1971? You are just a boy! "

Well I was then as I was only 10 years old !! My Uncle took me to my first game against Bristol Rovers a 1- draw in the old third division

I was also at the Duane Darby Carlisle game ! Well done on your support too !!

I still don't understand why a discussion on the BBC and its future means I am NOT a football fan !

But Hey Ho there you go !!!

Have a good day !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The daft thing about this thread is we are arguing amongst ourselves because we have nothing else to discuss on the forum. Coming up two weeks since the last game, the first comment from the club in that time was we are covid free and injury free and we played a friendly against Plymouth. that is before at least two will be mysteiously injured in training as per. I realise you cannot manufacture information or interest, we leave that to several well known fantasists on this forum, we have lost three loan players , two of which were far superior to our usual acquisitions, we have so far gained one. To my mind this doesnt fit at all with Johnsons understandably upbeat assertion that averaging two points a game will sneak us into the playoffs. We are either going for it by acquiring some tried and tested loans or we are as most deep down believe settling for mid table. I am not sure what is more depressing , sneaking into the playoffs and knowing we havent got a cat in hells chance of promotion with this squad or mid table obscurity with the certain knowledge that yet again we will have to completely rebuild in the summer because we havent got the foresight or financial muscle to sign the few geniunely good players in the squad for next season, now.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Interesting thread!
I can't compete on the oldest supporter title, I was late to the game by first visiting Plainmoor in 1989. But I remember the old ground and muddy pitches well enough.

Furthest I travelled was Scarborough with around 30 others and watch us lose 1-0, and see Wes Saunders suffer the injury that ended his career. Not as bad as the John Uzzel game though, worst challenge I have seen.

With regard next season, I'm thinking it's the last of the 5 year plan, and promotion therefore has to happen.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well I first visited Plainmoor in 1954 aged 10 when we played in Black & White and Eric Webber was Player Manager.

First big game 29 January 1955 21,908 to see us lose 1-0 to Huddersfield Town.
I was in the Babbacombe End.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dutch and I disagree on just about every subject going but I've never doubted him as a fan. What a ludicrous suggestion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks Dave !!!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

portugull wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 16:14 Well I first visited Plainmoor in 1954 aged 10 when we played in Black & White and Eric Webber was Player Manager.

First big game 29 January 1955 21,908 to see us lose 1-0 to Huddersfield Town.
I was in the Babbacombe End.
You easily beat me then as my maternal grandfather, George McBrearty (who played for Torquay United before the First World War!), started me off in the mid fifties, when I was six but I missed the two iconic matches in that era (Huddersfield and Leeds). My only claim to fame is that I am now the longest serving match day employee by a long way having started in 1966!
calebhawley
New Signing
New Signing

Post by calebhawley »

Dutchgull wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 20:35 Their are many many things wrong with the BBC ...Laura Kuennsberg for a start (BBC News / political bias no argument there ! ) Salaries for its big names are perverse and certainly need to be reviewed !!

I don't watch any soap opera on any channel but each to their own on that one !

What is Woke bias shite ??

On the plus side we have the amazing documentaries with David Attenborough. Hugely popular shows (although not for me ! ) like Strictly.

The BBC has to cater for all the population with all of its DIVERSITY ! (subtle hint BBC3 ). Its Radio stations cover every region and as such also broadcasts in Welsh and Gaelic (TV as well )

Radio 3 & Radio 6 thankfully still exist.

I avoid commercial radio because of its constant advert interruptions

My favourite channel is BBC4 with its science and history.

All of this for £3 per week or 43 p per day. Again that can be reviewed.

There were comparisons with Sky, BT , Netflix and Amazon prime. They may be slightly cheaper but in no way do they provide the same breath of coverage. In any case Sky & BT charge a subscription fee and show adverts !!!!!!

I agree that there needs to be a discussion on a move forward but ideas of the BBC taking advertising is a non starter for me as one of the beauties of watching a drama is it not being interrupted by adverts !! There is not enough advertising revenue to go around at the moment anyway if you have ever watched PBS or the Smithsonian channel you will know what I mean !!

Dave the Gull ...Chris fear was on ITV and their local coverage has not always been great either ! Pete Barraclough Martyn Dean etc !

I agree that this is a smoke screen to deflect anything away from the crook / liar that is Boris Johnson. Channel 4 news got that one spot on tonight !!

The Tories want to shutdown channel 4 because it exposes them and their assault on the BBC is just an attempt to win a bit of popularity back.
That wont work you fecking bunch of crooks !!

Typical Tories blame somebody else in this case the BBC !!
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... t-over-75s
It is high time for ordinary television channels to rethink their strategy. Their ratings are falling, YouTube, Netflix and other more modern services are becoming more popular because they are cheaper and more convenient.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Interesting to see this thread resurrected as now we are back down in the NLS what coverage if any will Radio Devon provide next season ? At least with Yeovil in the NLS both of us should still get the occasional mention on the BBC & ITV local TV channels !!
calebhawley
New Signing
New Signing

Post by calebhawley »

Dutchgull wrote: 28 May 2023, 14:49 Interesting to see this thread resurrected as now we are back down in the NLS what coverage if any will Radio Devon provide next season ? At least with Yeovil in the NLS both of us should still get the occasional mention on the BBC & ITV local TV channels !!
If it makes money, it will be on the radio and wherever it is needed, I think so.