Torquay United v Yeovil Town - Boxing Day

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Great battling performance, defended very well and passed the ball well mostly. I was frustrated at half time as we couldn't seem to create any chances but second half we did and took them. Didn't see much in the sending off, and it was right in front of me , looked harsh but the linesman obviously saw something and after a very brief chat with the linesman had no hesitation in sending him off.
Thought the old Wright /Lemon partnership was looking promising without really delivering, Lolos didn't have his best game but never gave up trying things. Macdonalds handling and cross taking was excellent, he has really improved, but still has that horrific mistake in him !
Usually when we face ten men we struggle but not today.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Brewers boy wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 17:01 Two reds for Yeovil now. Keeper just been shown one.
Where did that come from - neither BBC Sport nor Flashscore recorded a second red?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Keeper got sent off at tghe end of the game for dissent. Yeovil came to upset our team and with us missing a couple because of covid would have taken a point.
Excellent second half with 4 or 5 coupld have been man of the match.

See you all at Eastleigh tuesday.......
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well I can only describe the start to this match as frantic, whilst Torquay and Yeovil have never really been natural rivals the game started with a Westcountry derby feel to it, as some strong tackles went in, so many referee's would have shown numerous yellow cards in the opening 15 minutes leaving themselves no wriggle room , todays referee maybe choosing to see if the game settled down kept his cards firmly in his pocket.

There were no real patterns of play from either side early on, thankfully the game did settle, it would be Torquay that would create the first real chance of the game, a neat and purposeful chest down from Wright, would give Connor Evans a chance to attack the oppositions penalty area which he couldn't convert.

I've questioned the inclusion of Wright, Hall and Moxey through out the season, suggesting they no longer had the legs for this level of football, no problem admitting I may have done so in error, all three were excellent today, and their experience vital against a big, physical and sometimes over competitive Yeovil side.

Yeovil themselves went close with flicked header just passing wide of the far post, Torquay forced more corners in the first half, and with one or two shots on target that never troubled Smith in the Yeovil goal, but to me, a fair description of the first half would be ' stalemate' with both teams cancelling each other out.

The second half saw Torquay start slowly, with Yeovil looking brighter, on the front foot and playing with slightly more purpose, but Torquay's defence stood firm, with Dan Martin who continues to impress, Wynter maybe getting some confidence back and Lewis who seems to grow in stature by the game, keeping the powerful looking Yussef quiet up until his substitution, helping Torquay to keep the clean sheet in tact.

Midway through the half, the stalemate would be broken by the actions of Lo-Everton, to be fair I had a clear view of the incident, and Lapslie did a real 'job' on Lo-Everton , Lapslie did wind up Lo-Everton by giving him a bit of a cute nudge, but Lo-Everton did kick out, the linesman saw it, the following red card inevitable.

Sensing a real chance the popside who'd gone a bit quiet were back in full voice, soon after being denied what looked to be a clear penalty from my view Torquay took the lead from a Ben Wynter header the second following soon after, game over or you'd have thought. Torquay some how conspired to nearly hand 10 man Yeovil a way back into the game, first a dreadful mistake from MacDonald who'd been solid through out the game, his awful clearance providing Yeovil a one on one, MacDonald would recover his own mistake by making himself big forcing the Yeovil player to shoot wide of the goal, then Torquay failing to clear their lines Yeovil would hit the crossbar, thankfully neither chance converted.

With the game petering out for a comfortable Torquay win, the excellent Lewis headed home from close from looked to be an offside position from where I was stood, to the point excepting the linesman's flag I didn't even celebrate the goal, but no flag goal stood 3.0 capped what was a very good for the club. I hadn't noticed Smith receiving a red card after the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

I agree that Yeovil seemed to have come with the intention of intimidating United but it backfired - they went over the top and paid the penalty.

It must be a very rare occurrence for one side to have no cards and the other side 5 yellows and 1 or 2 reds (still not seen any confirmation of the red for Smith after the final whistle). Indeed, it could have been more had, as Forever said, the referee had not been more forgiving in the early exchanges and the second half yellow for Moss should really have been red.

Although the match did swing with the sending off, I thought United's combativeness and energy was already producing the best chances - apart from Yussef's glancing header in the first half, Yeovil struggled to make a clear chance until McDonald almost gifted them a goal. Incidentally, having made the error he kept the clean sheet with an excellent save. In total we had 11 attempts, 4 on target.

For me the key player was Lewis. He had a very good game - my MOTM - keeping Yussef (their most dangerous player) quiet for the most part and scoring a good header for number three.

Just for the record, Forever, Hall did not come on today although I agree he was excellent in the half-time kick about =D =D =D !

All-in-all it was a full-blooded derby clash, great entertainment and marked by a really great United display backed by another vociferous Popside performance.
Phil

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

Having now seen the sending off replay I think it was harsh - two yellows would have been more appropriate.
Phil

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Didn't see that kick out at the time but that's the law isn't it , just like Beckham-Simeone
There is a photo in the Torbay Weekly report of the the keeper being shown his red card.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Great result yesterday. 8 points from playoff places, and a nice gap forming between us and the lower teams.

Also I believe another of the Yeovil players picked up their 5th yellow card of the season, so will also be suspended for the next game.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I know it's done for the holiday crowds but would have been better for us to play the Eastleigh game on Wednesday especially as the next game after that is Sunday. Doesn't give us much time to recover and Eastleigh will be fresh after no game yesterday.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Modgull wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 00:35 Having now seen the sending off replay I think it was harsh - two yellows would have been more appropriate.
Nothing harsh about it, off the ball incident, straight red everytime. Well done to Lapslie who played him beautifully and to the officials who spotted it.
We've fallen victim to this sort of thing in the past, about time we started dishing it out ourselves.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 17:30 Nothing better than a popside assist for a red card :clap:
Sh*thouses. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 12:21 Nothing harsh about it, off the ball incident, straight red everytime. Well done to Lapslie who played him beautifully and to the officials who spotted it.
We've fallen victim to this sort of thing in the past, about time we started dishing it out ourselves.
Spot on with that.
We've been caught out numerous times with it - makes a change for us to get one in our favour. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

My first game for a while (since Yeovil at home last season). I thought it was a very competitive and entertaining game. There was little between the two sides until the sending off which was very soft). By the letter of the law it was a red card but let's be honest, Lapslie did go down like a fairy. I don't like to see that. However, we took full advantage and deserved the win. Danny Wright looked a threat and if he can stay fit, that is encouraging for rest of the season. I'm still not sure about McDonald though. His distribution hasn't improved and he almost gifted Yeovil a way back into the game.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If you kick someone there is only one outcome. Yes it was soft but its rank stupidity. Lets face it he deserved to get sent off anyway because he's got such a ridiculous name.