Aldershot Town v Torquay United Tues 23 Nov KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Aldershot Town v Torquay United Tues 23 Nov KO 19.45

Post by portugull »

Aldershot host United tomorrow evening with a Home record which reads Played 8 Won 1 Lost 7. 6 Goals for and 18 conceded.

After a very disappointing defeat at Barnet on Saturday this is a good opportunity to get back to winning ways but we all know winning in the NL is not easy. Shots only Home win was v Grimsby Town so we will need to be at our best.

Lets hope Connor will be back from Paternity leave and Perritt will have recovered from the whack to the head at Barnet.

No idea about Asa but I am hopeful we will earn 3 important points with a 2-1 win.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

On the basis on our last two performances I cannot see us getting anything out of this game. One, we are away and Johnson seems to think that certain players cannot perform away from home, As Perritt got a bang on the bonce saturday even if he has recovered I doubt he will start due to the concussion protocol and Aldershot know they are in a relegation battle and will fight, that relegation scenario has not as yet dawned on our club. December's fixtures are a tough bunch and come the boxing day game we could be close to the bottom three and still there will be another week before the January window.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

culmstockgull wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 18:22 On the basis on our last two performances I cannot see us getting anything out of this game. One, we are away and Johnson seems to think that certain players cannot perform away from home, As Perritt got a bang on the bonce saturday even if he has recovered I doubt he will start due to the concussion protocol and Aldershot know they are in a relegation battle and will fight, that relegation scenario has not as yet dawned on our club. December's fixtures are a tough bunch and come the boxing day game we could be close to the bottom three and still there will be another week before the January window.
Nothing like a positive outlook
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Well spoken United!
Negativity just drags everything down.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Like it or not, Culmstockgull's post is the truth right now. We are currently a very poor side, yes, time for it to change, but where we are right now is not good. Call it negativity? I call it reality.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Agreed, sadly it is reality, we are bang average. However, I will be there again tonight, I will sing my heart out and support the team I love. Having been to Barnet on Saturday, I believe it further confirms a new ground and facilities are required. Our support is first class, especially away from home, but this alone does not pay the wages. We need external revenues (all weather pitches, wedding facilities, car parking, conference rooms). I know a great number are against a ground move, but it is time to move on or accept what we have now!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Hope we get a good result tonight. I am sure the majority would advocate/support a new ground with all the trappings. For such a thing to happen there are numerous hurdles to overcome. The location, the financial backing, the support of local authorities, the strategic thinking to back everything up, the leader to realise the vision. I would hypothesise that to date we have none of the necessary foundations in place?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Unfortunately we are a club in crisis, going absolutely nowhere this season.
At best 2 very poor sides battle out a 1-1 draw or as is more tha likely to happen 2-1 to the shots.
We are very nervous at the back & never look in command & up front , ha that's a joke.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Teigngull wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:53 Unfortunately we are a club in crisis, going absolutely nowhere this season.
At best 2 very poor sides battle out a 1-1 draw or as is more tha likely to happen 2-1 to the shots.
We are very nervous at the back & never look in command & up front , ha that's a joke.
crisis? Jesus, you sound moronic and deluded using dramatic terms such as that
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Wolborough wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:39 Hope we get a good result tonight. I am sure the majority would advocate/support a new ground with all the trappings. For such a thing to happen there are numerous hurdles to overcome. The location, the financial backing, the support of local authorities, the strategic thinking to back everything up, the leader to realise the vision. I would hypothesise that to date we have none of the necessary foundations in place?

This is for another thread and indeed wasn’t this the argument that went around when Clarke Osborne took over and wanted to build a new stadium etc etc etc. maybe the council themselves could instigate a move and incorporate a new stadium next to the proposed 3rd railway station ( although that in itself seems a bit ludicrous) and sell off plainmoor to fund it.
I have supported the gulls for over 50 years and I would have no objection whatsoever for a new multipurpose stadium, indeed I would welcome it. Although I would draw the line at a plastic pitch!!!!
BTW come on you yellows tonight and let’s get a positive result to , maybe, kick start our season.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Nick Potkins wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:28 Agreed, sadly it is reality, we are bang average. However, I will be there again tonight, I will sing my heart out and support the team I love. Having been to Barnet on Saturday, I believe it further confirms a new ground and facilities are required. Our support is first class, especially away from home, but this alone does not pay the wages. We need external revenues (all weather pitches, wedding facilities, car parking, conference rooms). I know a great number are against a ground move, but it is time to move on or accept what we have now!
A new ground hasn't brought Barnet success. Still in the National league. More parts of the ground closed than open Saturday. I can't find the attendance figure but doubt there were even 1000 home fans. No atmosphere. I felt sorry for their fans who used to have a stadium with character in the town of their name, not a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

standupsitdown wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 13:53 A new ground hasn't brought Barnet success. Still in the National league. More parts of the ground closed than open Saturday. I can't find the attendance figure but doubt there were even 1000 home fans. No atmosphere. I felt sorry for their fans who used to have a stadium with character in the town of their name, not a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere.
The attendance on Saturday was 1,498 (with just over 400 yellow army)... so, just a tad over 1,000 home fans (looked a lot less to me)
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 13:01 crisis? Jesus, you sound moronic and deluded using dramatic terms such as that
unitedinDevon, why do you insult people when they post different views to your own? In my opinion Teigngull is spot on with his comments as many other regular postings seem to be in agreement with him. Maybe you should take a long good look in the mirror and see if it is not you who sound moronic and deluded my friend.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Well I think you are right United in Devon so you not on your own.. When we get a real crisis Teignmouth and Dawlish you will hopefully be able to spot the difference
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

We are certainly not a club in crisis!! More a team lacking a bit of confidence, pace and creativity!! We are not getting hammered every week but agree we could have been out of it at half time on Saturday. First half performances against Maidenhead and Wealdstone show what we are capable of!!! Give Moore and Armstrong a bit of time to bed in added to IMO Lewis, Lapsie, Little, Moxey, Perrit, Hall, who have done ok this season and things may just turn around!! It's consistency we are lacking!!
Agree the facilities at Barnet were great!! Not sure they own it all or just rent the ground. I believe Spurs ladies play there too!!