Torquay United v Dover Athletic Sat 13 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think the phrase is, Lies, damn lies and statistics, Cannot argue with what Forevertufc quotes other than it only part of the picture, I would say that as a team Little is in the bottom five per cent on crosses and corners that actually manage to find the danger zone, regardless, would I have him in the team,definetely, I think he should give up the captaincy, shouting and arranging is not his thing and the extra responsibility maybe is detracting from his game. listening to Johnsons after match it is obvious that four of the starting 11 yesterday are only in because of injuries , mysterious injuries of unknown origin and length of recovery time, Johnson said in the week we have had 2 weeks to get Moore fit, really , he looked knackered before halftime.
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

Taelee73 wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 12:36 I'd never pretend to have an indepth knowledge of football. I do however know, my interpretation of statistics is as viable as yours, and without the need to question your competance with it. I do also know when a teams played poorly against a side bottom of the league. You only need eyes for that.

I also know data can be interpreted in numerous ways to fit the criteria of what the user is trying to conclude.

As I said before, you can't compare his statistics unless you have someone else in his position to compare them too, and for a period of games. Some good old fashioned empirical data. Although I'm sure his would compare favourably.
If another player scores less, sets up less, then Littles doing well. if another player scores more or/and sets up more from the same position, then you guessed it, Little is only doing ok, and isn't the saviour of our season. It's not rocket science.

Keep nodding your head, sooner or later someone will come along and pat it.
Give your head a wobbly, 7 goals 6 assists say defeat 🤔
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

Sorry meant to say Different not defeat
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Taelee73 wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 12:36

As I said before, you can't compare his statistics unless you have someone else in his position to compare them too, and for a period of games. Some good old fashioned empirical data. Although I'm sure his would compare favourably.
If another player scores less, sets up less, then Littles doing well. if another player scores more or/and sets up more from the same position, then you guessed it, Little is only doing ok, and isn't the saviour of our season. It's not rocket science.
That's a very good point, statistics do need a comparison to be more valuable, however, we're TUFC a midtable non-league top flight club, that does not, nor can afford two equal players for every position, so that's difficult, and why it doesn't work both ways, because if Little was injured who would do his job ? CLE ok, then someone has to fill in for him, O'Connell, would he produce the same results doubt it.

CLE is listed as an attacking midfielder, we don't have access to things like sprints, runs made and distance covered, GJ ill have that information, but you can simply compare goals and assists, CLE 3/1 doesn't compare to little at 7/6.

If you were to say 23 teams at an average of 14 players per squad (some bigger than others) that gives a rough number of about 322 players in the NLP, there's is no information on assists, but I will assure right now ( looking at League 2 assist averages)with 6 assists Little will be in the top 5 if not 1st in the entire league.

What I can say 100 % , is when you look at goals per minutes Armani Little is ranked 6th out roughly 322 players, Waters has scored 1 more, but has had more pitch time, Little is ranked above, highly sort after players including Quigley, Mc Callum, Rodrigues and Wooton, that's the evidence of just how good Armani Little has been in terms of goals scored so far this season.

Only Tshimanga, Campbell, Cheek, Mullin and Shara are ranked above Little right on goals per minutes, there's simply no argument anyone can up anymore against the facts , of what Armani Little has brought to our team and how vital he is right now.

To expand though, if we look at the team which is sat in 14th place right, and compare our teams total goals per minutes scored, of which little has 33% TUFC is ranked 9th in the league.

But then look at goals conceded per minute TUFC is ranked 17th , there are only 6 teams worse than us, so if fans in general want to look at where the individual problem is, its at the back, it's the lack of ability to keep the ball out of our net that's costing points.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

Woo impressive 👏 👏
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

As Culmstockgull said, "Lies , damn lies and statistics." :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well if it was a weak argument, we could say "damn lies and statistics" but clearly isn't 😉
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well said Dave (forevertufc.)
Simple fact is that without AM's input - or output - we'd be at the bottom of the league.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 18:47 Well said Dave (forevertufc.)
Simple fact is that without AM's input - or output - we'd be at the bottom of the league.
As bad as we can be not even Torquay could be on -9 this season 🤗
Lucy
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

Had the ball fallen in front of any other TUFC player yesterday the chances of it ending up in the back of the net would have been 50/50 at best ,eyes closed, hit and hope. I'm not so sure we would have won.

Thankfully AL is a technically gifted player yet the odds of him scoring were still 50/50! Half of him wanted to blast it over the bar and stick 2 fingers up to the pop side, the other half of him wanted to prove a point. Luckily he chose the latter.

I didn't hear many boo's once the ball crossed the goal line. Some of our so called fans are so fickle.
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

That half volley injury time winner was with Little's weaker foot I noticed not bad !!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

A win is a win and three points, I am happy with that. Sadly our win papers over 'the cracks' within our squad this season. As predicted at the start of the season, I thought we would bounce around between 10 and 14 in the table and maybe push for the playoffs towards the end. This is looking like a big ask now, I still believe this to be a league of grants and set play experts, something I believe we need to address.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Armani is not the first, and will definitely not be the last, to get booed by his own teams fans. If he treats it, like water off a duck's back, and carries on playing the way he does, I am sure even his most robust critic will eventually come around and see him for the wonderful player he is. Just look at how we struggle when he is unavailable. I recall when Terry Venables took over at Spurs in the 80's, he signed Terry Fenwick. He was certainly not the most popular player in the side, frequently getting booed. His response? When he scored a goal, he ran over to the Shelf area, which was empty due to rebuilding, and celebrated wildly, completely ignoring the other 3 sides of the ground. Sheer Class! No more booing after that!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

A mate of mine was at the match on Saturday and he felt that the 'fans' were booing the choice of match sponsor rather than the choice of man of the match. Clearly Little felt that the booing was aimed at him and reacted accordingly.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Just saw the goal on the TV. It was a real belter. Was that the reaction as well.? A casual wave- hardly a rebuke. What are people on about. ,!