Torquay V Kings Lynn - 23/10/21 - 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A very enjoyable afternoon at Plainmoor.
An excellent initiative by the Club and it was clearly well supported judging by the numbers in the Babbacombe end.
Brett Huxtable was fine no issues for me.
Our two debutants did really well. Armstrong did brilliantly to get ahead of his man in minute 3 and nearly scored just needed more height on the shot.
He is big, strong and from a standing start has electric pace.Perritt was a little nervy for 10 minutes but then showed why he is so highly rated by John Coleman the Accy Stanley Manager. I liked his anticipation and his concentration.
Joe Lewis was very good again and IMHO would make a first class Captain.
Lolos is gaining confidence and learning with every game. Facing Armstrong and Lolos defenders will be stretched by these two guys.
Negatives? Well there were some.Why does Armani Little take all the dead ball kicks? It makes no sense at all. He was taking Free Kicks in the 2nd half from near the half way line. Some were so bad I could not believe what I was seeing. Ben Wynter should take such kicks on the right and Dean Moxey on the left. Little should be in the box.
We still seem to find it difficult to find the best role for the Lemon who is a very good player but we are not playing to his strengths

Finally the Pop Side and I include the Drummer were brilliant today A really good display of support for the team. A couple more quality loan signings and I hope the gloom will lift and we will be on the up.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A decent solid performance , we were very cautious and long ball minded first half, once we got 2-0 up you could see the confidence return and we could and should have won by more. Thought Armstrong was excellent, terrific burst of pace on him, strong and unlike Kimpioka knows where the goal is.. Must have something if Celtic and Man City were tracking him.
Strange to see CLE in that quite defensive left sided role, thought Andrews would play there but maybe not fit enough yet.
Nothing seemed to come off for Holman today. Lolos came much more into it second half and did well. Perritt also after a sluggish start was much better second half Johnson did ok but him and Little centre mid is not what we want , Little continues to frustrate , some quality moments but some lacklustre ones too.
Potential to be so much better and influential.
But a good win and a clean sheet is a relief after the week we've had.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

culmstockgull wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 18:33 . If the figures are correct by my reckoning we only had 1480 regular supporters today if you take away the away supporters and the 1000 freebies.
I thought 2,500 was rather high considering recent performances.1k freebies explains! :engflag:
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was there. Great to get three points and a little confidence back.
Pop side crowd (incl drummer) were in good voice which raised the mood a little.
Armstrong really impressive and looks a great loan signing. The team formation was so much better after Holman was subbed off - CLE was much more effective and got a lot of headers in the more advanced role. Joe Lewis - another impressive performance, such a good player.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Result today was far more important than the performance after last week!! Agree with radio Devon today that our budget is way below some in this league!! I do however feel some teams are there for the taking and today Kings Lynn where one of them who could only field 2 subs!! Thought we played well today and the two new guys were great!! Perrit was tough and did what he needed to do as a centre half and Armstrong was strong and quick!! Guess QPR rate him as they have Austin, Dykes and Grey and they didn't want him cup tied!! GJ is our best manager in years and by the fans reaction at the end it shows most agree!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I was intrigued when we lined up in the 4-3-3 formation but felt it didn't really work. We were rather narrow as a result and we only had three attempts on goal in the whole of the first half although 2 on target. We looked more threatening after O'Connell came on with Holman being the unlucky forward to be sacrificed. Going to 4-4-2 allowed us to dominate in midfield and spread the play wider, creating multiple chances towards the end - 8 in total in the second half with 5 on target. So, eventually, a comfortable victory against one of the weaker sides in the league. These are the matches we must win to maintain a mid-table position but we still do not look anywhere near strong enough to push for the play-off positions. Given our start to the season this would be acceptable although we can still dream I suppose!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Modgull wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 08:29 These are the matches we must win to maintain a mid-table position but we still do not look anywhere near strong enough to push for the play-off positions. Given our start to the season this would be acceptable although we can still dream I suppose!
Whilst I concur with your viewpoint on how we look now - November could throw a different light on table-positions with three of our matches against bottom league sides. With a wee bit of motivation and a slice of luck there is no reason for us not to pick up all 12 points - do that pre-Christmas and its still game on.

Saturday 13th November
Torquay United
v
Dover Athletic

Saturday 20th November
Barnet
v
Torquay United

Tuesday 23rd November
Aldershot Town
v
Torquay United

Saturday 27th November
Torquay United
v
FC Halifax Town
Last edited by MellowYellow on 24 Oct 2021, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Took in the meal and match and throughly enjoyed the whole event. First time I’ve been for ages and first win I’ve seen since the playoffs. Agree with everything that’s been said above esp. re the midfield, when that empties we look terribly exposed. Can’t help feel Armstrong was surprised at how tough the game was, hope he stays though you could see the difference in class with his speed and touch.
Did anyone see the handball incident? Missed it but none of the players appealed. Doesn’t matter now lol
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 14:05 Took in the meal and match and throughly enjoyed the whole event. First time I’ve been for ages and first win I’ve seen since the playoffs. Agree with everything that’s been said above esp. re the midfield, when that empties we look terribly exposed. Can’t help feel Armstrong was surprised at how tough the game was, hope he stays though you could see the difference in class with his speed and touch.
Did anyone see the handball incident? Missed it but none of the players appealed. Doesn’t matter now lol
Yes a clear penalty, the defender just stuck his hand up. The referee had just turned away, so missed it. Other than our goal difference, it did not matter in the outcome. Of course that is assuming we could find anyone to score from 12 yards. Who is on PK duty now?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Modgull wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 08:29 I was intrigued when we lined up in the 4-3-3 formation but felt it didn't really work. We were rather narrow as a result and we only had three attempts on goal in the whole of the first half although 2 on target. We looked more threatening after O'Connell came on with Holman being the unlucky forward to be sacrificed. Going to 4-4-2 allowed us to dominate in midfield and spread the play wider, creating multiple chances towards the end - 8 in total in the second half with 5 on target. So, eventually, a comfortable victory against one of the weaker sides in the league. These are the matches we must win to maintain a mid-table position but we still do not look anywhere near strong enough to push for the play-off positions. Given our start to the season this would be acceptable although we can still dream I suppose!
I anticipated it being 4-3-3 when i saw the teamsheet but thats not quite how we played

When not in possession LHE was playing left wing back with Moxey, Lewis, Perrit as a 3 and Wynter right wing back

the problem with this is that it left a midfield 3 of Johnson and little, neither had a bad game but it highlights how we miss someone like Halls physical presence in the middle
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I just love our politically incorrect fans chants regarding the referee’s food over indulgence. How long before we’re banned for it? You F B! 😂
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Huxtable is a problem because he consistently makes wrong calls, and with a bit of backbone, would have shown his yellow card more; we had 2 possible penalty shouts, first half when Armstrong was charged in the back in the air and sent sprawling (no mean feat , mind you) and the obvious handball clearing a high ball in the second half.
Patently 4-3-3 did not suit our set of players - CLE was wasted stuck out on the left, CJ was anonymous, AL - well, as documented already, his set pieces are just soft chips over everyone's head, and as v Wealdstone, we didn't close down the opposition playmaker until late in the first half. Just kick-and-rush for 45 minutes, even though our 3 front runners were comfortable on the ball (when they did actually get it to feet) and KL had a right back playing left back who had no left foot.
Far more effective organisation playing 4-4-2. Very encouraging starts for Armstrong and Perritt.
If anyone saw the BT Sport show of National League goals, there were various scored from attacking the near post - shame we don't even think of that. KL had far fewer but better deliveries into dangerous areas than we did and could easily have scored twice from balls into the goal area.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Re the pre planned free kicks and corners (presumably) - these Little pitching wedge deliveries don't seem very productive.
Just gives the keeper more time to come and collect and harder to generate any power if we do get a head on it. Dont seem to do the headed flick on at the near post any more. At least vary the dead ball kicks and corners ! Look how Adam Randell used to whip tbe ball in last season
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

With the players we have the only sensible formation is 4-4-2, if you play wing backs they need to have constant pace, we may have that in addai, oconnell and Johnson but they are all right sided players, johnson has the ability to fight for the ball, Addai was unfit on arrival and seems to have gone backwards and now suffered the training ground jinx. oconnell is a lightweight who is still developing physically. As for little and his chips, crosses or plays, call them what you will, we do not mix the dead ball taker , you can just hear opposition managers saying to their players, dont worry they only let one person take the free kicks and on the rare occasion he is in the right mood they will be effective.Any throw in down the left will be a long one by Moxey, deal with that and their options are exhausted.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest