Havant & Waterlooville V Torquay United Wed 20 Oct KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Two dire performances in five days against another National League side would have been bad enough, against a lower league team is totally unacceptable.
Bye bye Gary, your race is run.
Thank you for everything you have done.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Yet another pathetic performance from a very poor team. I'm not surprised in the slightest that we were outplayed in every department by an average part time team. The manager has to go now as Gloomy Gull quite rightly says we are now in a battle for survival. Go now Johnson and give a new manager the chance to rescue our dreadful season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yes Johnson is culpable for recruiting these players but I can't any other manager coming in and being able to do anything with them, they're that bad.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

If we follow up tonights debacle with a poor result at home this Saturday, the Relegation alarm bells will start to ring.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Calling for GJ to go is the most stupid reaction to this problem. Yes the squad isnt good enough and he recruited them, but look what he has to recruit - youngsters. I’m amazed he has such a high success rate normally when you consider the unknown you get when signing these type of players. GJ is the best manager in this league
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I will save further comments until the morning when I have calmed down. It's all kicked off at the end of the game when Gary again did not come over to the fans. With fans demanding answers, it was left to Wynter, Lewis and Downs to trying to calm things down. Quite a few hostile comments, which I can understand.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

No wonder GJ never went over if all the fans were baying for his blood! He will turn it around, he’s the best Manager we’ve had for many years and are likely to have! Those fans are understandably upset having traveled all that way and got beat by a lower league team in horrendous conditions on a plastic bloody pitch, several injuries, a sending off! C’mon give GJ some deserved respect he’s not a magician, and doesn’t get any luck.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Nick Potkins wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:26 I will save further comments until the morning when I have calmed down. It's all kicked off at the end of the game when Gary again did not come over to the fans. With fans demanding answers, it was left to Wynter, Lewis and Downs to trying to calm things down. Quite a few hostile comments, which I can understand.
Not surprised, GJ never acknowledges fans after a loss which rightly gets the fans backs up!

couldnt even listen tonight due to work but sounds another gutless performance
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

I think we need to stick with GJ but as I said before what does Downes coach the defence ? He was a solid defender but clearly he can’t be instilling anything into the players at the back unless they ignore him and do their own thing ?

A grasp of reality is required this season as we are a mid table team at best.

I’m amazed that the “threat” made by GJ to players over a month ago that they would be moved on if they weren’t good enough hasn’t come to anything. We need a new spine to the team in my view

Let’s see what we are served up on Saturday !!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seriously you cannot defend that - if you are putting that down to luck then you are deluded.

We conceded 18 corners in the game. Thats just an embarassment. The team is awful due to the absolutely dire recruitment by the manager. We have three goalkeepers which is ludicrous.

We have a loan player in Addai who is permanently injured despite not yet playing a full game. What a waste of money. Our bench tonight was just pathetic. No strikers - no central defenders. We only have one striker injured (Wright) who is way past his sell by date. Thats not luck its just poor recruitment.

Making players drive back to Torquay for training after the Bromley defeat has backfired and has clearly had a negative effect on team morale.

I certainly didn't expect promotion this year due to some major investment by other teams, but there again I didn't expect the management to produce a team which is as inept as this.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

a rather dejected GJ
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 01:08

a rather dejected GJ

Wish they would stop caller him Gaffer, or is it because he is making too many Gaffs now! :~D
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Well, that was fun wasn't it?

To put it bluntly...no.

Out-muscled/outplayed by Boreham Wood - concede 2. Out-muscled/outplayed by Bromley - concede 2. Out-muscled/outplayed by H&W Part 1 - concede (yes you've guessed it) 2.

and then...last night... well, let's see... out-muscled and outplayed YET AGAIN by H&W and conceding 4 to boot - by my reckoning (and I might be wrong) we have conceded an average of over 2 goals PER GAME this season so far (and if we carry on playing like a bunch of f*cking under-achievers then that is only going to increase as time goes on).

H&W showed the passion and desire to win the game and even though we went in at HT in front (against the run of play) I just knew deep down that it would only be a matter of time before H&W equalised - and what a goal that was! If only we had a strike force that actually knew where the f*cking net was. Then heads went down... they're players stepped up...and, well, let's just say that there were a few expletives flying around me (mine included) when the fourth went in... cue the mass exit.

And to round off a miserable night, the journey back home was like driving through Niagra Falls.

No sour grapes from me. We were beaten by the (much) better side and I wish H&W all the best in their trip to The Valley. Can you imagine our lot turning up at the The Valley the way we're playing... so, maybe, last night saved us the embarrassment of being beaten by a cricket score.

Four of our next five games (we won't get anything at Wrexham) are games that are now 'must win' ones otherwise we'll be staring down the barrel of another relegation.

The joys of being a Gull, eh!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Managed to get the second half commentary and listen to Johnsons after match, several things, one he sounds totally dejected , I think at one point he said if I had a choice he would bring in 10 new signings and I think that is the story, we do not know what is going on in the so called boardroom, judging by the lack of signings and those we have lacking any real quality the owners wallet has well and truly been shut so I defy any manager to do better on what he has available. I have thought over the last couple of matches there seems to be a group of players that are no longer have any interst in what Johnson is saying , last seasons remainers are a shadow of their former selves. This is not a one off, it happened to Johnson at cheltenham and also at Yeovil, he is old school and these days you have to be a lot gentler with these precious little footballers.
As inportantly as our anger in this latest defeat is the economics, a team apparently incapable of winning will materially affect the gate on saturday when one of the least attractive home fixtures comes round, if the crowd is anything lower than 1500 which I think it could well be then upstairs will start to get very nervous.
Also you have to ask why a national south team with an average 700 gate and no multi million pound owner can afford such a squad , what are they doing so well or creatively that we are doing so badly.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Players of today are kept in there teams bubbles away from fans, get this lot out to meet us fans the ones who help pay there wages let them see and hear are views, what it means to us. players years gone by had normal jobs worked in all different environments walked to the stadium to soak and the atmosphere be for games had pride for there club. You may say well that was then and football has moved on. But I will end here with this who were the players that last won a World Cup for us, most had jobs as well as football.