Havant & Waterlooville V Torquay United Wed 20 Oct KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

knightmaregull wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 16:04 Remember the absolute state we were in when GJ joined us. By comparison we are currently in utopia! Quite simply we were spoilt last year and now back nearer par. Be careful what you wish for ...........
Utopia knightmaregull? Under Gary Johnson we are heading only one way, back to the conference south. It is down to one man who got us into the national league and saved the club from extinction, Mr Clarke Osborne. Winning a league in which you are the only full-time club, well I would expect most managers to have achieved that. Please don't forget that most of the squad Johnson inherited were players signed by the previous manager. I see Gary Johnson like Jose Marinio. Marinio has won just about everything there is to win as a manager but now he wins nothing. Marinio has failed and been sacked at most of the clubs over the last few years. I believe this is because over the last few years football has evolved, you even have top teams playing without a recognised striker nowadays. People like Marinio and Johnson have sadly not evolved and therefore have struggled to win trophies.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 09:03 Utopia knightmaregull? Under Gary Johnson we are heading only one way, back to the conference south. It is down to one man who got us into the national league and saved the club from extinction, Mr Clarke Osborne. Winning a league in which you are the only full-time club, well I would expect most managers to have achieved that. Please don't forget that most of the squad Johnson inherited were players signed by the previous manager. I see Gary Johnson like Jose Marinio. Marinio has won just about everything there is to win as a manager but now he wins nothing. Marinio has failed and been sacked at most of the clubs over the last few years. I believe this is because over the last few years football has evolved, you even have top teams playing without a recognised striker nowadays. People like Marinio and Johnson have sadly not evolved and therefore have struggled to win trophies.
Yeah, right.
I'll take that bet - £50 to a charity of the winners choice - if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.
He's not saving us this season then according to your logic......
So, how come part-time clubs win leagues with full time teams in?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Maybe there is no money left after our promotion push last year. If we blew our budget last year then this year it has to be accounted for. There is no magic money tree. We don't want to do a Bury.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

dawlishmatt wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 09:03
Utopia knightmaregull? Under Gary Johnson we are heading only one way, back to the conference south. It is down to one man who got us into the national league and saved the club from extinction, Mr Clarke Osborne. Winning a league in which you are the only full-time club, well I would expect most managers to have achieved that. Please don't forget that most of the squad Johnson inherited were players signed by the previous manager. I see Gary Johnson like Jose Marinio. Marinio has won just about everything there is to win as a manager but now he wins nothing. Marinio has failed and been sacked at most of the clubs over the last few years. I believe this is because over the last few years football has evolved, you even have top teams playing without a recognised striker nowadays. People like Marinio and Johnson have sadly not evolved and therefore have struggled to win trophies.
Conference South trophy? (Taking over a team that were in the bottom half of the table and catching Woking who were miles clear)
Second place and a very unlucky play off final defeat in a very competitive league was hardly a bad achievement.

I do wonder if there's a hidden reason behind your many posts that praise Mr Osborne.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Whilst I agree that last season was possibly beyond our expectations and we did not achieve our goal only because of injuries and a dodgy referee, it is the way we have fallen back so far this season. We do still have a core of last seasons squad but the recruitment has, at best, been mediocre. There is no quality coming through in our play at all.
Can GJ turn it around? I sincerely hope so but I do have my doubts and as some have been saying has he lost the dressing room? If so there is, I’m afraid, only one outcome.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

dawlishmatt wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 09:03 Utopia knightmaregull? Under Gary Johnson we are heading only one way, back to the conference south. It is down to one man who got us into the national league and saved the club from extinction, Mr Clarke Osborne. Winning a league in which you are the only full-time club, well I would expect most managers to have achieved that. Please don't forget that most of the squad Johnson inherited were players signed by the previous manager. I see Gary Johnson like Jose Marinio. Marinio has won just about everything there is to win as a manager but now he wins nothing. Marinio has failed and been sacked at most of the clubs over the last few years. I believe this is because over the last few years football has evolved, you even have top teams playing without a recognised striker nowadays. People like Marinio and Johnson have sadly not evolved and therefore have struggled to win trophies.
who?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe, as only 3 teams are relegated from the National league this season and Dover look nailed on for relegation this season, I don't think we will be relegated this season. I do however believe that Torquay will finish in the bottom 6 this season if Gary Johnson remains in charge all season.
Unfortunately I don't give donations to charity due to corruption but I love a challenge. I suggest that we have a bet that if Gary Johnson remains manager until the end of the season, Torquay will finish it the bottom 6. I'm willing to pay the full cost of a family up to 5 the entrance fee to a home match. Are you up for it SNW?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If he isn't you will get a thousand plus who will be. I've read some lunatic posts in my time but........
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Short memories from the limp wristed hanky wringers. Fickle fans with the spine of a jellyfish. GJ will sort this out. He is the best man for the job, by far. In case you hadn't noticed, football has its ups and downs. We have a bit of a down, right now. That can all change in a couple of games. There is NO better Manager than Gary Johnson in this situation. We are lucky to have him.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

As far as I can see this lunacy is mainly being conducted by Dawlish Matt on here and Merse on the other forum. Both have been yelling for a change for nearly a year now. They seem to relish adverse results because it suits their odd agendas. They have a very small orchestra of the usual wind instruments behind them who would have us change manager more times than they change their socks.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Dawlish Prat and Merson, eh? Enough said.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Dazza wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 17:20 As far as I can see this lunacy is mainly being conducted by Dawlish Matt on here and Merse on the other forum. Both have been yelling for a change for nearly a year now. They seem to relish adverse results because it suits their odd agendas. They have a very small orchestra of the usual wind instruments behind them who would have us change manager more times than they change their socks.
There is a pattern in the modern game that a football clubs' performance is the product of the stewardship of one person: the manager. This scapegoat default response, by a few supporters, to a run of poor performances is by way of replacing the manager. This appears to be without any real logic or strategic thought. Does managerial change automatically contribute to more points and subsequently a higher league position? Who are they proposing comes in as the new Messiah? Those bits of info always seems in short supply

Watching the body language of GJ in recent games you start to notice a look of dazed horror as he is unable to recognise the players from the training pitch. Hours and hours spent on the training pitches, divided up between drills, each of which have been carefully designed to hone one thing or another. The teams lacklustre performance against Havant was a betrayal of all the work that GJ and his staff had put into their preparation. A manager can have the right strategy with which to plot an escape from non-league , but that’s redundant if not accompanied by the players commitment to actually perform it.

Lost the dressing room? I would for one would lose the players if they cannot apply their trade. This season promotional campagin was never a one man show it was suppose to be a team effort. The simple fact is we are not in the top-flight this season because our players have just not been good enough - can’t pass, shoot or defend well enough to exist at such a level of the game. The players have been awful in a slapstick way which wouldn’t be forgivable in a schoolboy team.

So if you had to choose what would it be - manager or players?

I know what the manager is capable of (his record stands as testament). As for the players - I'm with GJ on this one when he verbalised a frustration which is widely shared by many supporters - "If I had the chance I'd have 10 new additions to the squad, if I am to be honest with you".
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Dawlsih matt and Merse , I remain to be convinced they are not he same person, they both talk total rubbish ,in the case of dawlish matt who has told us he no longer attends matches he has forfeited his right to make any valid comment. In the case of Merse he justs likes the sound of his own voice. Both believe in the nuclear option without a thought for the consequences. If Johnson was replaced and I desperately hope he is not have they considered who will arrive, any half competant manager is in a job, who would take the role knowing they is absolutely no budget, a third world medical and rehabilitation unit, and a training facility that doubles as a boating lake.
Be careful of what you wish for.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Bit harsh the last two comments ! But think it needs investigation into why we get so many injuries many of them in training it seems. It never seems to get any better and just goes on and on, it can't be just bad luck again and again - can it ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its all very well blaming the players but the notion that the manager will somehow get this lot playing to an acceptable standard doesn't seem that likely to me.

There seem to be plenty that don't seem to be up to it ability wise, so its not necessarily their fault - maybe they are simply not good enough.

The manager signed them after all. Yes we've got a few injuries. Wright (who is a shadow of his former self) Hall (ditto) Lapslie (consistant ie plays one game misses 4) Addai (two sub appearances thats it)

Whilst the return of these players might make some difference I'm not sure how much.

Take a look at Johnsons comments ref the players:

Holman (I know what he's got - he'll give you 20 goals a season)

O'Connell (he's like Whitfield - but he's got more goals in him) - if thats the case why does the manager play him at wing back? because he certainly hasn't got a tackle in him!

There seems to be some notion that Havant and Waterlooville were in some way a good side. They were just a side made up of non league plodders . To be completely outplayed by them over two games was diabolical and inexcusable.

I don't know how anybody can say that we don't look a bottom six side at the moment as we look a complete car crash. The managers public berating of the players, the goalkeeping situation, you can go on and on.

If this team doesn't look a relegation outfit at the moment I don't know what does.