Havant & Waterlooville V Torquay United Wed 20 Oct KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 08:35 Managed to get the second half commentary and listen to Johnsons after match, several things, one he sounds totally dejected , I think at one point he said if I had a choice he would bring in 10 new signings and I think that is the story, we do not know what is going on in the so called boardroom, judging by the lack of signings and those we have lacking any real quality the owners wallet has well and truly been shut so I defy any manager to do better on what he has available. I have thought over the last couple of matches there seems to be a group of players that are no longer have any interst in what Johnson is saying , last seasons remainers are a shadow of their former selves. This is not a one off, it happened to Johnson at cheltenham and also at Yeovil, he is old school and these days you have to be a lot gentler with these precious little footballers.
As inportantly as our anger in this latest defeat is the economics, a team apparently incapable of winning will materially affect the gate on saturday when one of the least attractive home fixtures comes round, if the crowd is anything lower than 1500 which I think it could well be then upstairs will start to get very nervous.
Also you have to ask why a national south team with an average 700 gate and no multi million pound owner can afford such a squad , what are they doing so well or creatively that we are doing so badly.

:goodpost:

I agree and I too think that maybe GJ is past his sell by date. He has been an exceptional manager but may, just maybe, it is time to give a young guy a chance, a really big gamble I know but just look at Matt Taylor at Exeter he seems to be doing well with not a large budget???
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Johnson turned the club round in the Conference South.
If it wasn't for injuries and an inept referee he would have got us promoted to the Football League last year.
It was going to be very difficult to match last year with the loss of key players breaking up the side.
Yes it's very disappointing and I was looking forward to going to The Valley, but I can't see that we would bring in anyone better if Johnson were to go.
We've had too many years of changing from one poor manager to the next.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

When the manager says that you showed no passion against a lower league team you know that you've got problems.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't think that last nights defeat is any surprise. I posted a few weeks ago that i didnt think that Gary was capable of turning this around.
Its clear that there is an issue within the dressing room.
Our recruitment after pre season was clear that it wasnt strong enough to compete for promotion. What's the point of having an u18 squad when you never even use them. If i was in our u18 or u16 i would be off because your never going to get the opportunity with this management structure.
The goals we have conceded and the way in which we have conceded them i question Downsey , what is going on there, we cannot stop conceding goals.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Oh, for goodness sake! GJ needs our support more than ever now. There is NO better Manager at this level. We've lost some key players and we have yet to find a blend of replacements. I couldn't give a toss about the FA Cup. GJ WILL turn it around. He does not need to be undermined by limp wristed hanky wringers. It's time to grow some balls, or hand in your cervix for some of you.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

You dont give a toss about the FA Cup?? Are you for real.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Absolutely for real. We are not going to win it, rarely do well in it, and it's a distraction from the League. The Premier clubs don't take it seriously by fielding under strength teams. It's not the competition it once was. There is no romance of the cup anymore.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The income that a FA Cup run can provide small clubs in the lower leagues is massive. I cant even believe your argument.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It isn't anything to do with the right blend - its lack of players in key positions. Our bench was completely embarassing last night.

No strikers and no central defenders. We have a few injuries but they are mostly midfielders . Johnson says that we missed Addai but he has only made two sub appearances before getting injured so whats the actual point?

Lapslie plays half a game before disappearing injured, and our sub last night managed to get himself booked and sent off within 14 minutes of being on the pitch last night. How pathetic is that?

If we are so short of players why wern't Slough and Koszela recalled from their loans?

How exactly is Johnson going to turn this round? we just regress every game. We are lacking cover in every key position bar having 3 goalkeepers which is so ridiculous.

He slags the players off at every opportunity and then made them drive back to Torquay after the Bromley game - a completely knee jerk reaction which didn't benefit anyone. Seems he has lost the dressing room and when that happens there is usually only one ending. Saying he would get ten loans if he could is a completely rank stupid thing to say as well.

Conceding EIGHTEEN corners to a bog average NLS team tells its own story.

We have Armani Little as captain whose sum contribution last night seems to have been falling off his ballet shoes and gifting them a goal. Replace him with Lewis as captain for starters - one of the few players who at least seems to care.

Saying the cup doesn't matter is ridiculous especially as there is money on the end of each match. Last nights display was inexcusable. Simple as that.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

I agree with you SBP... if (a very big IF) we had won last night, the money from the trip to The Valley would (might) have gone some way to securing a new diamond in the rough. Who gives a flying one if the Premier league clubs don't take it seriously... us small fry certainly should especially when it can boost the coffers with a decent draw when the big boys come in (just ask any Ex*ter City fan how that feels!)
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

There are 12 teams in the National League, who like ourselves would consider themselves to be Football league teams who are temporarily non-league. Plus another 9 ex League teams in the National Leagues North & South.

Some of these are bigger clubs, with larger grounds, more money and higher gates than Torquay.

Only two are promoted each season and in recent years some of these spaces have been taken by clubs who have never been in the Football League before but have either been lucky, well run, or had a major input of money.

This season has been disappointing, especially last night’s cup exit, but we cannot expect to be close to the top of the league every season. At least 12 other clubs expect this too.

We were very unfortunate to miss out last season but now need to rebuild a strong side, with careful purchases and hopefully bringing through some young players.

I would strongly suggest that to change from our highly experienced and successful manager a few months after our best season for some years would not be our best interests.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We simply can’t get rid of GJ. We’d have the same poor squad with a worse manager. Have to back him.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Remember the absolute state we were in when GJ joined us. By comparison we are currently in utopia! Quite simply we were spoilt last year and now back nearer par. Be careful what you wish for ...........
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 08:35 Managed to get the second half commentary and listen to Johnsons after match, several things, one he sounds totally dejected , I think at one point he said if I had a choice he would bring in 10 new signings and I think that is the story, we do not know what is going on in the so called boardroom, judging by the lack of signings and those we have lacking any real quality the owners wallet has well and truly been shut so I defy any manager to do better on what he has available. I have thought over the last couple of matches there seems to be a group of players that are no longer have any interst in what Johnson is saying , last seasons remainers are a shadow of their former selves. This is not a one off, it happened to Johnson at cheltenham and also at Yeovil, he is old school and these days you have to be a lot gentler with these precious little footballers.
As inportantly as our anger in this latest defeat is the economics, a team apparently incapable of winning will materially affect the gate on saturday when one of the least attractive home fixtures comes round, if the crowd is anything lower than 1500 which I think it could well be then upstairs will start to get very nervous.
Also you have to ask why a national south team with an average 700 gate and no multi million pound owner can afford such a squad , what are they doing so well or creatively that we are doing so badly.
The gate will be artificially inflated this weekend as the club are handing out 1000 free tickets to community clubs/disadvantaged groups etc.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We don't need a lecture about last season.

None of that is any excuse for being humiliated by a bunch of part timers.