Torquay United v Havant & Waterlooville FC Sat 16 Oct KO 3pm 3pmm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

The lack of pace and physicality is clear every game.

Why is Andrews keeping the bench warm with far lesser players in the side?

GJ needs to stick to his guns and get rid of those who aren’t cutting it and bolster the squad with loans asap.

Why not try a 433 with :

MacDonald
Wynter, Lewis, Moxey, Martin
Little, Hall, Andrews
CLE
Wright, Lolos / Holman
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

North Curry House wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 17:37 Total disgrace. No leadership whatsoever, it did not look like anyone cared. This group of players are the worst team we have EVER fielded...and that includes the side GJ inherited in the NLS.

We missed Hall today and had no one to stamp their authority on the game.

Gary has an almighty job on his hands, I wish him well but can only see a struggle unless "real" players arrive.
Were you there in mid 1980s and Dave Webb in charge ? Those were the bleakest blackest days !!!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Moxey doesn't have the legs to play 90 mins as a wing back, i was surprised Martin didnt come on, he adds energy on that left hand side
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 18:17 Moxey doesn't have the legs to play 90 mins as a wing back, i was surprised Martin didnt come on, he adds energy on that left hand side

Don’t think anyone in our side had the legs to play 90mins today!! When you expected the opposition to tire they seem to come on stronger than us so fair play to them BUT once again we were seen wanting in Physicality, pace and idea so got what we deserved. Change is needed, and quickly
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

For those who were unfortunate not to make the game today you do not know how lucky you were, that was a truly dismal performance and I wondered for long periods of the game which team was in the lower league. Having seen alll the home games this season and two away there can be no doubt Johnson was well and truly had with some of his summer acquisitions, Omar not up to this league, end of. I now know why no one else tried to sign Johnson, he has undoubted talent but not the temperament to be a pro footballer,the opposition only has to wind him up and he loses the plot for the remainder of the game. Rogers has a shot on him but very little else. Lolos made a difference when he came on and O'connell if we had the time will make a half decent player, Wynter was both hero and villian, lemonheigh today did everything and I do mean everything wrong, when we cried out for simple balls he tried to be a grealish with the result they took the ball off him so many times, for fear of upsetting the Little fan club I will say only that he needs to spend a heck of lot of time improving his crosses and freekicks. But more fundamently there is something wrong with the whole set up, you give them a plan at the start,re-iterate and tweek it at halftime, but as today if you have to call them all over halfway through the second half and give them judging from what I heard a right royal bollocking then you realise they many of them are no longer listening to what he has to say. I will for my sins be there Tuesday or Wednesday but on todays showing I do not cling to too much hope of making it any further in this years cup.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 18:54 For those who were unfortunate not to make the game today you do not know how lucky you were, that was a truly dismal performance and I wondered for long periods of the game which team was in the lower league. Having seen alll the home games this season and two away there can be no doubt Johnson was well and truly had with some of his summer acquisitions, Omar not up to this league, end of. I now know why no one else tried to sign Johnson, he has undoubted talent but not the temperament to be a pro footballer,the opposition only has to wind him up and he loses the plot for the remainder of the game. Rogers has a shot on him but very little else. Lolos made a difference when he came on and O'connell if we had the time will make a half decent player, Wynter was both hero and villian, lemonheigh today did everything and I do mean everything wrong, when we cried out for simple balls he tried to be a grealish with the result they took the ball off him so many times, for fear of upsetting the Little fan club I will say only that he needs to spend a heck of lot of time improving his crosses and freekicks. But more fundamently there is something wrong with the whole set up, you give them a plan at the start,re-iterate and tweek it at halftime, but as today if you have to call them all over halfway through the second half and give them judging from what I heard a right royal bollocking then you realise they many of them are no longer listening to what he has to say. I will for my sins be there Tuesday or Wednesday but on todays showing I do not cling to too much hope of making it any further in this years cup.
Summed up perfectly culmstockgull. The only, and I mean only, player to come out with any credit is Joe Lewis
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Our defence was abysmal today. MIssed Hall in the midle and only Lapslie playing well in midfield and he got injured. BAr one time where we got to the byline in first half and a decent cross in our midfield created bugger all again. Little really should be doing much more, his set pieces are mostly terrible and Connor just intent on some fancy flicks and hopeless . Felt sorry for Holman who gets very little service. Yes a late equaliser but they should have won the game before they equaliused.

Badley needd recruits, Addai was causing havoc a few weeks ago when coming on in games but he is injured ......
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Excuses have their uses but now ther're all used up, there all used up. Thank goodness my boycott of Torquay matches began today and I didn't have to put up with that s*** again. For the sake of the long suffering fans, go NOW Gary Johnson. Your time is up.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well all I can say is we did not lose.

Aldershot and Woking both lost to Clubs in lower Leagues and 6 National League Clubs Wrexham ( 94 min goal saved them) Notts County Torquay Eastleigh ( 95 minute goal saved them) Halifax & Dover all drew.

So we were not alone in failing to win.

Our failings. Lack of shape. Poor delivery in Set Pieces again and again. Shocking distribution from MacDonald. I lost count of the times he booted the ball to the opposing keeper thus giving away possession.

For Full Time Professionals a lot of these players are simply not thinking. Fancy play is good up to a point but when the H & W keeper went off injured we should have shot at every opportunity. We did not. Why?

The reserve keeper looked very shaky but again I lost count of the times we should have shot rather than look for the killer pass that never came.

Lets hope Gary can recruit 2 or 3 players like Roberts (No 20) for Havant who looked very decent today.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Dutchgull wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 17:58 Were you there in mid 1980s and Dave Webb in charge ? Those were the bleakest blackest days !!!
Yes I was there in the Webb era and recall Dean Mooney, one of the worst ever players I have seen in a Gulls shirt......but that was in the Football League, this is a level below.

As I said this side is worst than the NLS side. It is the players NOT the Manager where the problem lies.

IF GJ was not in charge, who could do any better? Answer;. Nobody. He is the ONE positive.

Play like that in the replay and it will be a 4-1 defeat. I hope we can miraculously recover by then and scrape through. For the remainder of the season, I think mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for. Then go again next season with better players.

OMG, another banana skin next Saturday - The mighty Kings Lynn ! Well at least it may appear that way.

COYY.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thoroughly deserved replay for Havant.
Unlucky not to win . They caused us far more problems than we caused them, had far more pace, movement , options than us.
We seem to be going backwards on that performance, so much for the hard weeks training, seems to have achieved nothing. We are so slow and ponderous going forward. More injuries picked up in training , where were Hall and Addai ? Lapslie now crocked. 11 points from 11 games and second best against a team a league below is relegation form . This is a massive job for Gary Johnson to turn around.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:17 Excuses have their uses but now ther're all used up, there all used up. Thank goodness my boycott of Torquay matches began today and I didn't have to put up with that s*** again. For the sake of the long suffering fans, go NOW Gary Johnson. Your time is up.
1. Amen to that.
2. You have. :clap: And thankfully GJ doesn't listen to you.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Oh dear that was dreadful. We lack leadership and power in midfield. I think we miss Hall and Lapslie when they aren’t on the pitch. Time for change, if GJ said some players aren’t up to it then let’s get rid !

Hopefully the loan signings will add something to a squad that lacks confidence. No one bar Lewis should pick up their wages this week, make him captain instead of Little

Where has the CLE of last season gone ? Today really showed how we missed the wide players of last season. Oh for a striker signing this week. Bumped into Danny Wright pre match and he hopes to have the support boot off in 3 weeks then maybe match fit in another 2 weeks ?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:17 1. Amen to that.
2. You have. :clap: And thankfully GJ doesn't listen to you.
SNR These are his players, his team and as a previous post mentioned it's now worse than Gary Owers teams. We have made considerable progress over the last 3 years with an owner who is prepared to back the manager and a manager who has a proven track record. 2 seasons ago we were in deep trouble and being sucked into a potential relegation struggle until covid 19 cut short the season. Last season we were excellent and very unlucky not to get promoted. You have to look at the bigger picture of last season. At one stage, I can't remember which game it was, had we won we would have gone top of the National league by 14 points although Sutton had 3 games in hand of us. If the truth be told, we blew it. This season all that hard work by the powers that be have done in taking the club forward is rapidly being undone by one man, Gary Johnson. Wake up SNR we have no chance of promotion whilst the manager is running the ship.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

I'm quite qenuinely concerned for us. 2019/20 season before it got called off due to covid we were pretty poor and flirting with relegation spits.
Last season was a freak. No fans home or away and byy some strange reason we managed to get to the play off final.
Then boom the players that helped us manage that play-off last season move on and we are left with a team of dross. What quality can we realistically expect when the majority of the new signings are bunked up in the Gulls Lodge. Let's be serious now. What player of any genuine quality can we expect to push us on to the next level when they aren't even paid enough to be able to find a pad of their own.
This season is about survival. End of. We look a very very poor team. And the funniest thing is the best players we've had or do have happen to have been players who were here under Owers....CLE, Wynter, Cameron, MacDonald, Reid, Andrews