Bromley v Torquay 9th Oct

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Absolutely shocking. I never thought I would say this about Gary Johnson but he seems to have lost his ability to, a: identity players who are good enough ( after all he says he vets players closely before signing them on and b: motivate players to perform on the day. We were clueless and wouldn’t have scored if we were still playing.
For me all the players he has brought in this season have to go but to be replaced by who??
This season looking like an absolute disaster. Thank heavens for Dover and Southend!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

DWB wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 17:34 Absolutely shocking. I never thought I would say this about Gary Johnson but he seems to have lost his ability to, a: identity players who are good enough ( after all he says he vets players closely before signing them on and b: motivate players to perform on the day. We were clueless and wouldn’t have scored if we were still playing.
For me all the players he has brought in this season have to go but to be replaced by who??
This season looking like an absolute disaster. Thank heavens for Dover and Southend!
I agree it was a shocking display with no pace in the team and some pretty mediocre new players. However, I just having a feeling that even Gary Johnson cannot believe how poor they have been. I think you might find his threat to move some of these players on may come to fruition sooner rather than later after the last two displays and we will revert to a loanee formula that's done us well over the past few seasons .

Nevertheless, we are where we are and it looks like our promotional season is over before it even got started
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Myself and other posted their concerns about this squad after the pre season friendlies. Unless this squad is strengthened significantly then this will be a typical result and we will be in the bottom half of the table for sure. That could be being optimistic.
I was hoping that the Wealdstone performance was the start of better things to come however it now just appears that we caught Wealdstone on a bad day.
I think this is going to be Gary's biggest challenge to turn this around. Personally i dont think he's capable. I hope I m wrong.
I bet the owner is awaiting the dreaded phone call" more money please the signings I ve made are not good enough".
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Personally not there yet. Gary has clearly moved his feet and talking about being at halfway at Christmas ( and impliedly looking to have a nibble at a promotion play off place from there ) . I am not sure I would put a stack of money on that but I wouldn’t be writing it off either
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Watched it on BT Sport. We just look devoid of any flare or invention. We beat a poor Wealdstone side but that certainly seemed an anomaly. Shudder to think what the next home league game attendance will be. Sub-2000?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I don't mind losing football matches but not with 'displays' like that when the opposition strolls through the game , containing us with ease and not even breaking sweat.
Bloody embarrassing.
I think we need to concentrate on getting 50 points after this last week.
I feel numb after watching that.
Several of these players don't appear to have a winners mentality, not at it from the start and when they go one down they have a hangdog look about .
them. A lot of work for the manager to do .
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Don’t you think SBP that such a phone call doesn’t take place virtually weekly.!

So you think Gary isn’t capable?. Name me a manager prepared to come to the South West on middling money, with a middling playing budget who you would assess as more capable.?
Chorleygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by Chorleygull »

I know Gulls fans will be frustrated and disappointed but it's a fact that we have lost good players and not replaced them. However, I don't buy this business of players not trying. From what I saw the players out there gave it their best shot today, for what it's worth. What's more - and I might be the exception here - I didn't think Bromley were that great either. Apart from late on, when we were pushing on to try and rescue something, they didn't have a lot of clear chances either or shots on target. They had two worldies, which on another day might have hit row Z. Admittedly we were caught out for the first but that centre half won't score another like that for a long time ! Whereas the ball would just not drop for us around the box, witness Hall's effort at the end. Last season we had some really good loan players, this season none. So, if and when that changes , so might our fortunes.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

So surely the question is whether the “threat” from GJ that players would be moved on can be brought to fruition ? What’s the pint in making an idle threat if you don’t carry it through !!

I can hear the excuses continuing about struggling to get players in as they don’t want to drop into the National League. Why can’t we stop the bull ..... and admit that we will be stuck with the existing squad.

I do wonder why Aaron Downes fails to coach good defending ..... maybe he should think about making a comeback ?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well one thing for sure the wealdstone result was an aberration, against good quality, strong teams we have no answer, none at all, we may huff and puff but that is us at best. On todays showing it is difficult to imagine any player justifying his place next week. Johnson has made mistakes in his acquisitions that there can be no arguement. signing the odd dud is par for the course but not one of these so called keenly vetted players are consistent or good enough for this league, how can that be, other than he is taking the flak for his brothers failures. He cannot off load them as easily as he imagines as they are on contract and will be a continual drain on the budget and most will be glad just to bench warm until the end of the season. Someone mentioned we will struggle to get to 50 points this season which to me is safety, more likely we will be in a relegation scrap come christmas. I would bring Moyse and koszela back from Tiverton immediately, are they the answer, probably not but they may make dropping others a lot easier.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Chipping that free kick to the far post as all our players ran to the near post, when either little or moxey could have hit the target sums up absolutely the team at the moment.

Anyone calling for Gary's head is insane, as if we can get anyone better. The reality is this is what 'normal' supporting Torquay is like. We were spoiled last year.

Personally I am just resetting my expectations, sitting back and enjoying the ride. Personally I still fear for our future and what the owner's plans are so as long as we are professional and playing I'm content!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Well apparently according to Gary Johnson we have quality in our squad. When are they going to bloody well show it!!!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Dazza wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 18:12 Don’t you think SBP that such a phone call doesn’t take place virtually weekly.!

So you think Gary isn’t capable?. Name me a manager prepared to come to the South West on middling money, with a middling playing budget who you would assess as more capable.?

Im sure it does happen most weeks. No i dont think Gary is capable of turning this around. That is my opinion. I hope i m wrong.
So you think Gary is on middling money with a middling budget. I dont think. He's the one whose wasting the budget. 3 goalkeepers just to start with.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Well that was fun, wasn't it. Probably the worst performance of the season. Having just watched the managers post match interval, well its just a repeat of most of the interviews he has given all season.
Thanks Gary Johnson for a fantastic 3 years as manager of Torquay United FC but I think its now time for you to be put out to grass along with Aaron Downes and the rest of the management, especially your useless brother who is clearly shafting uncle Clarke.

For the sake of the fantastic supporters and to give us a sniff of a chance of making something out of the remaining 33 games, resign. It is clear to me that your fantastic managerial career has come to an end. Go now and like your brother, stop screwing Clarke Osborne.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Just watched GJ’s post match interview.

He was asked if the answers to our problems are inside the building.

He answered no.

I guess we can expect changes when the right players are found.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: