Bromley v Torquay 9th Oct

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

dawlishmatt wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:31 Well that was fun, wasn't it. Probably the worst performance of the season. Having just watched the managers post match interval, well its just a repeat of most of the interviews he has given all season.
Thanks Gary Johnson for a fantastic 3 years as manager of Torquay United FC but I think its now time for you to be put out to grass along with Aaron Downes and the rest of the management, especially your useless brother who is clearly shafting uncle Clarke.

For the sake of the fantastic supporters and to give us a sniff of a chance of making something out of the remaining 33 games, resign. It is clear to me that your fantastic managerial career has come to an end. Go now and like your brother, stop screwing Clarke Osborne.

Harsh, but I know how you feel!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

What I found interesting was I think Gary said the players are in for training tomorrow Sunday!

He must be pissed off to do that.

Adam Randell came on for Argyle today in the 96th minute.

Argyle top. Surely Argyle can spare Adam to give him some game time even for just a month or two.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

That’s what you have winding up for years Dawlish Matt. Suffice it to say you are in a very sad minority. You probably believe the previous 5 managers who achieved naff all were wondermen.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:31 Well that was fun, wasn't it. Probably the worst performance of the season. Having just watched the managers post match interval, well its just a repeat of most of the interviews he has given all season.
Thanks Gary Johnson for a fantastic 3 years as manager of Torquay United FC but I think its now time for you to be put out to grass along with Aaron Downes and the rest of the management, especially your useless brother who is clearly shafting uncle Clarke.

For the sake of the fantastic supporters and to give us a sniff of a chance of making something out of the remaining 33 games, resign. It is clear to me that your fantastic managerial career has come to an end. Go now and like your brother, stop screwing Clarke Osborne.
Really mate? Another manager would bring in some players from the league would they? GJ is probably the best manager we could hope for, you’ve clearly forgotten where we were two seasons ago.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Although I agree that Gary Johnson is the best manager we have had for years I just wonder whether some players feel the same? Just thinking of the players who have left and the lack of quality players to arrive? Do they not like what the manager does, or is it the lack of money available to spend.
So you do just ask yourself is it time for a younger manager with fresh/different ideas to come in. By the way I am the same age as Gary so I can sympathise.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

notnow wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 20:41 Really mate? Another manager would bring in some players from the league would they? GJ is probably the best manager we could hope for, you’ve clearly forgotten where we were two seasons ago.
Take no heed - he blows with the wind. Even a child as young as four is more apt to seek and believe information from Gary Johnson than this Bozo the Clown

He clearly does forget (maybe a case of Alzheimer's) as back when we appointed Johnson in 2018 he was making comments such as:

"Don't forget who we are. We are TORQUAY UNITED and as the name suggests we must stay united through the good times and the bad times."
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It is total nonsense to ask for the managers head, one, he would cost money to pay off that we do not have, second, where on the planet would you get a half reasonable manager at this time of the season. In the past we have appointed managers who had none or very little experience but had a connection with the owner and that did not work out well for us . Give him the opportunity to put things right, we all suspect that this season based on our results to date survival will be a positive result, but as others have said thats part of being a Torquay supporter.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Dazza wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 20:21 That’s what you have winding up for years Dawlish Matt. Suffice it to say you are in a very sad minority. You probably believe the previous 5 managers who achieved naff all were wondermen.
Interesting post Dazza. I have a question for you. were you at today's match or did you watch it from the comfort of your armchair? Well my friend having left Dawlish along with my 13 and 11 year old grandsons by train at a cost of nearly £300 at 8am this morning and In addition to this, we are spending the night in bed and breakfast accommodation which has cost me another £ 100, in total what do i get for my near £ 500 it has cost me to watch that S***. When will supporters wake up to the fact that this unacceptable rubbish i have witnessed today is down to one man, Gary Johnson. I will not be attending any future games home or away whilst Johnson remains manager of my beloved club Torquay United. Thank goodness i did not purchase a season ticket this season.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We have to admit that football wise we down on a limb. A year ago Johnson was seen as a genius. He was brining success to a place that had seen little.Now suddenly he is past it for some. Players left for a higher salary and playing in a location where they would be seen more. They are entitled to do that in my view. Johnson had weeks to replace them. It’s not only players we would have difficulty replacing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fair to play to you for making that effort to go to the match in what was a fantastic turnout of over 300 away fans.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with your post I think you have every right to be annoyed by that performance which was clueless. We have been shown up twice this week by teams which are no more than average at best.

I appreciate that Boreham Wood and Bromley have started well but couldn't see either team finishing near the top. Plain fact is the recruitment of the playing staff has been dire and the buck must stop with the manager.

Started todays match with one recognised striker and an inexperienced 19 year old on the bench. Thats it - the sum total of available striking options. We have one recognised centre half in Lewis and precious little else.

Yet we have three goalkeepers on the payroll - thats completely nonsensical and a complete waste of money when we are desperately in need of outfield players.

Squad wise we are as weak as we have been for a number of years. Talk of being in the top half by Christmas is ludicrous.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 21:10 Interesting post Dazza. I have a question for you. were you at today's match or did you watch it from the comfort of your armchair? Well my friend having left Dawlish along with my 13 and 11 year old grandsons by train at a cost of nearly £300 at 8am this morning and In addition to this, we are spending the night in bed and breakfast accommodation which has cost me another £ 100, in total what do i get for my near £ 500 it has cost me to watch that S***. When will supporters wake up to the fact that this unacceptable rubbish i have witnessed today is down to one man, Gary Johnson. I will not be attending any future games home or away whilst Johnson remains manager of my beloved club Torquay United. Thank goodness i did not purchase a season ticket this season.

Fair play you spent a lot of money BUT this is football and not a stage play ,just because you spent a lot of money does not guarantee you will get a return on it ! Jeez in my time I have travelled to exotic locations as Workington, Carlisle and Darlington never for one moment expecting two or three points, well maybe two at Workington and now showing my age !! Yes we are pissed off but did we over acheive last year and are now paying the price ?? So you want Gary Johnson gone and replaced with ????????????????..........................
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

We lack flair, pace, physicality and shape.

This will not change with our current crop of players therefore change is necessary, it’s time to let a few go make space for new players and fast
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

kevgull wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:32 Just watched GJ’s post match interview.

He was asked if the answers to our problems are inside the building.

He answered no.

I guess we can expect changes when the right players are found.
Yep Next summer :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Did we spend too much last season pushing for the glory land? Are we now suffering the hangover of that and have a very small budget? Why do we struggle to attract good quality players, do they view Torquay as a dog hole?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

If you think that sacking GJ will help you are deluded!