Torquay United v Wealdstone Sat 2 October KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 15:52 :rofl:
Well, he is - cant score from 12yards! :rofl:
Nor could Jamie Reid =D
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

5-0
Holman's 2nd goal
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Without Danny Wright, United had to find another route to goal, other than just sending high balls into the penalty area in the hope that he could get on the end of one. Rarely works. Good to see goals came from feet, and the goalscorers were spread throughout the team. Always a good sign.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Now where is the fun in that?
No late goals or drama….
Great performance. To a man the team were excellent.
Sorry for Danny Wright personally that he is injured but could be just what the team needed. We look so more mobile with Dan H upfront. He has some great touches and brings others into the game.
With players coming back from injury and into form Gary has some good options (still light weight for cover in defence)

COYY
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

grockle wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 16:03 Nor could Jamie Reid =D
. Holmans penalty today is the worse I have ever seen, totally embarrassing, not just to blaze it over but to hit the sponsors logo on the away end roof! It was even worse than Andrews "effort" at Bath in NLS, a couple of seasons ago, when the ball went out of the ground.

Shame because Holman would have had a hat trick, had it gone in.tiday. He and the team played better today, keeping the ball on the ground, instead of high balls up to Wright.

EVERYONE put in a good performance, albeit against a poor side. Today gave me hope that we can go on a unbeaten run.

Keep the ball on the floor and ensure ALL penalties are at least on target.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Have you been on the piss? Little took the penalty.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

North Curry House wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 17:58
..... penalty today is the worse I have ever seen, totally embarrassing, not just to blaze it over but to hit the sponsors logo on the away end roof! It was even worse than Andrews "effort" at Bath in NLS, a couple of seasons ago, when the ball went out of the ground.....
........Keep the ball on the floor and ensure ALL penalties are at least on target.
[/quote]

Easier said than done, I recall Robin Stubbs missing a penalty in similar fashion but that doesn't stop him from being an absolute legend
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

North curry house….As Bruce said, it was LITTLE that took the penalty. Is your eyesight bad?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

When I was a kid ( a fair while back!) I remember a penalty where the guy slipped when taking it and it ended much closer to the corner flag than the goal. Anyway we won 5-0 this afternoon- it was hardly life changing.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

North Curry House wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 17:58 . Holmans penalty today is the worse I have ever seen, totally embarrassing, not just to blaze it over but to hit the sponsors logo on the away end roof! It was even worse than Andrews "effort" at Bath in NLS, a couple of seasons ago, when the ball went out of the ground.

Shame because Holman would have had a hat trick, had it gone in.tiday. He and the team played better today, keeping the ball on the ground, instead of high balls up to Wright.

EVERYONE put in a good performance, albeit against a poor side. Today gave me hope that we can go on a unbeaten run.

Keep the ball on the floor and ensure ALL penalties are at least on target.
Poor eyesight

Poor posting
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Really good performance today, i thought we looked after the ball well and our passing and movement was good. As another poster has mentioned without Danny Wright we had to do things alot different which we certainly did. For me when we play Danny Wright we look to predicable. Today we had good patterns of play and we moved through the zones very well. Wealdstone just couldnt match any part of our play and the goals just kept going in. I thought all the players played well and i really liked the balance. GJ made good use of his bench who also made an impact in the time they were on.
Joe Lewis's goal is an absolute cracker, i dont think ive seen a strike like that at Plainmoor for years. I feel absolutely privileged to have been there and witnessed that. I think everybody around me were in complete shock. You will not see a better goal in any league this weekend.
For the 100 odd Wealdstone fans who travelled here have to be commended with everything that is going on regarding the fuel situation. Having said that they were awful today, absolutely terrible, some of the mistakes they made in possession were shocking.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well it may have been a grey and very wet day but on the pitch it was raining goals lots of them!

Gary asked his team to be relentless and he got what he wanted from a team showing 4 changes from last weeks trip to League leaders Chesterfield.

Wealdstone did not know what hit them as we pressed with real intent from the first minute. On a very wet pitch we kept the ball on the deck more and we went forward in numbers. Tom Lapslie is a real star. He is small with short legs (sorry Tom) but he covered every blade of grass and is so tenacious.

He popped up to head yes head the first goal after 11 minutes. He had no right to be were he was but he seemed to come from nowhere at just the right moment.6 minutes later Dan Holman showed real class to make a yard of space and smash home a great shot.Then on 30 minutes Armani heads home and I wonder how often he scores with a header.

What a treat 3 up in 30 minutes and playing the opposition off the Park.

After 3 Home defeats early on this shows us all what a great team Gary and Downesy are to produce a new team who had belief and skill and great team spirit.
The 4th goal by Joe Lewis brought the house down. It was a goal fit for the Premier League. I will not describe it but make sure you watch the highlights for what will possibly be the best goal Joe will ever score. It was his first for United but never to be forgotten.

Dan Holman scored the5th goal being very alert to intercept a poor pass out by keeper Wickens.

With some shock results in the National League today we are definitely heading for the top half of the Table after a very poor start. COYY.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes good performance today , some good ball possession, passing to feet and options..
Wealdstone were very poor so will wait until after 2 tough away games this week before saying we are really making progress.
I can't remember many better goals than Joe Lewis. Good to see Dan Holman get off the mark with two good finishes. Thought Keelan O'Connell was excellent today , his best game by far. Dan Martin is well suited to that wing back role , thought he did really well. Tom Lapslie had a great game and nearly had a second goal, only got 3 in 152 games for Colchester but will get many more playing in a Gary Johnson side..
Will have to get a loan striker in now Wright is out for several weeks ? No mention of Addai , hope he hasn't picked up an injury , think he would have ripped Wealdstone to shreds if he had come on.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a goal! I've never seen a better one live, including several by David Graham and that half-way-line shot by Eunan O'Kane against Argyle all those years ago. After a rather loose start when Wealdstone could have had at least one goal through lax defending the rest of the game was a lesson in how to play on a wet pitch - keeping the ball zipping around on the deck when we had it and a hard press when we didn't. Everyone played well but the standouts for me were Joe Lewis (after that start) and Tom Lapslie. The latter must have covered every inch of the pitch and must have stolen the ball or cut out a pass at least a dozen times - an awesome performance given his relative lack of match practice since joining us in the summer. Holman also showed fantastic fitness and took his two goals well - the first was a striker's classic. I thought Armani Little had another influential game - scoring one, missing a pen and creating another. I thought Dan Martin was also impressive in the wing-back role - what an engine he has in him! But everyone played their part in a fantastic team performance. Yes, Wealdstone were architects of their own downfall by overplaying at the wrong end of the field at times but that was a result of our superior pressing game. Clearly the management team had also done a fine job of pinpointing Wealdstone's weakness and providing the right formation and tactics to exploit them. Cracking result!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Great performance. O'Connell looked a different player and what a warrior Lapslie is. Disappointed with the gate. Sub-2000 home fans. Hopefully it was just the weather that put people off and not the ridiculous no-cash-on-gate policy. After yesterday's win surely a few more will turn up next time.