Chesterfield v Torquay United 25/09/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Thought we defended really well first half, second half MacDonald had a bit of a mare. For me, Addai changed the game when he came on and we looked a threat when he got on the ball and ran at them, he could be a really good signing once he’s up to speed and fitness.

Still a few short as others have said, not sure Wright, Lolos or Holman are the answer up top, there’s just not enough threat or pace.

What a great end to the game though and it could be a real turning point if we use this energy to push on!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

What is with the doom mongers on here? GJ tactics, substitutions and sheer spirit got us through tonight, the quality will come.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Papers over the cracks… ! I don’t know what some fans want. Do you really think that putting a side together is that simple. Compare the budgets of the two sides and get real.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Can't complain at a draw away to the league leaders and the spirit in the squad.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

MacDonald was fine, we've averaged two points per match since his return and, as the commentators pointed out, that was enough to see Sutton promoted last season.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

What the hell is wrong with some people leaving ridiculous comments about our goalkeeper. What's Mcdonald supposed to do when a player shoots from a few yards out, catch the bloody thing. Mcdonald did exactly what he is paid to do, stop goalbouund shots. It's the fault of the defenders in not dealing with the rebounds, on both Chesterfields goals we had 4 defenders stood watching whist the only person to react was Tshinanga. You keeper bashers should stop blaming the goalkeeper over defensive errors.
I thought the game changed when Holman came on and over the 90 minutes I think we well deserved a point. In my opinion as the team starts to gel, a top 7 finish is well within our reach.
Over the full 90 minutes it was hard to tell which side were the league leaders and which team had struggled thus far
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

In 59 years of watching footie I have never left a game before the end. Today is just another reason why. Sometimes it's abject misery, sometimes it's cool we got a draw, in injury time, like today, and sometimes, just sometimes it's the pure joy of a 99th minute winner. It's why I love football.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There isn't anything wrong with people - Macdonald was clearly at fault for the first goal - it was a major error. Its the first thing he had to do in the match. The commentators were also saying he was at fault "poor goalkeeping" they said.

Blaming the defenders when Captain Clanger has poked the ball straight out to Tishimangas boot is ridiculous in itself.

Still we did deserve a point just about I think but we look a bottom half team in all honesty. Holman and Wright are just to slow.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Watched the game on BT sport. Very difficult to be negative in a 2.2 draw that feels like a win, both of the goals conceded could have should have stopped, please don't take this as criticism of MacDonald, I'm not his biggest fan, but his all round performance today was good, but it has to be said, he could and should have done a lot better with their first but that's what you get from an average keeper, however was not at fault for their second, there's three defenders in line, none reacted, should have cleared the ball away.

However as said, no need for any of us to be over critical or picky. Once again for the second game running the team looked stronger and more organised at the back, against lesser opposition maybe would been enough for all three points, the players look more comfortable, continue to play like this I see the team getting away from the bottom of the table, but not convinced a top seven finish is there with out further additions.

Nice to see Armani Little on the score sheet again, I did try to say :) All in all a good day at the office, well done GJ and all.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Dazza wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 19:59 Papers over the cracks… ! I don’t know what some fans want. Do you really think that putting a side together is that simple. Compare the budgets of the two sides and get real.
No I am not saying it is simple I am being real in what I have seen. Our midfield is too lightweight and too slow. We are so often too slow to the ball and not strong enough to win/keep it. Danny Wright to me is nowhere near the player he was last season and Dan Holman adds nothing I don’t think. I would love nothing more than to see the team gel together but I don’t just see it. We will win one lose one and stumble along this season. It is the hope that kills you but I really can’t see us enjoying this season I’m sorry.
I am a season ticket holder and will be there at every home game cheering the team on but realistically to me an ‘average’ season awaits.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Let’s be fair though. We had a very short break and we lost players offered contracts at faster rate than certainly I can remember. Yes we need a fair bit still but let’s enjoy getting a point at a place not too many others will do. You heard what the commentator said about over achieving last year. That certainly wasn’t down to luck- if we had had that we would be in Division Two. We have still some steel both in the squad and in our management. Personally I think as we build we will have a chance at the play offs and in a league that is pretty strong that would make for an interesting season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Surprised Brucie didn't mention Waters scoring again ! Someone said Macdonald had a mare second half , thats plainly ridiculous , he perhaps could have done better with the first goal,but otherwise was fine, but this is the National League !
Looking forward to seeing Addai when fully fit , he looks a threat. Don't think Lolos is quite ready for regular starts yet, Holman badly needs a goal and thought Wright would have buried that header if he had managed to go far post. Definitely missed CLE - and Lapslies energy and work rate.
A very untypical Johnson team performance but the priority is to stop shipping goals, didn't quite do that but apart from two lapses defended well though we have to react quicker but not every team has a Tshimanga.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Notnow, I agree that the team showed spirit today but that is nothing less than we expect from a torquay side under Johnson, where I disgree with you is your belief the quality will come, you cannot teach average players quality, they possess it or they dont. Listening to Johnsons after match he said we had seven minutes when we were good the rest we were second best. we have the third worst goal differnce in the league and only one team has conceded more goals than us, 18 in 8 games, that is not moaning, that is not negative, that is fact. On paper in Hall,Lapslie and now that Little is coming back to form we have I believe the best techincial midfield in the league but game after game they are overrun, Regardless of this draw things need to change, I wish Johnson had stuck to his original comment the week before last that certain players were not good enough, something we all knew, he seems to have backtracked on that and is now perservering with trying to perform the miracle of turning the preverbial sows ear into a silk purse.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Finishing eleven are a better prospect than the starting. The footballing brains out there probably outweigh their physicality. Problem is I don’t think we can afford to have more than two prospects (Rogers, Lolos Johnson, O’Connell) in the starting line up. Tricky problem but we ain’t PSG. Brilliant point.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thought we defended well, especially Lewis, Moxey and Wynter. As for Macdonald - well he didn't really have much to do.

Lolos looks as though he has something about him, but I think Holman and Wright as a partnership is never going to work as they are both too slow. As someone mentioned Waters - well he's the second top scorer in the league. As a partner for Wright he would have been preferable to Holman because he's far more mobile than the pair of them.

We do lack options up front though. maybe with Lapslie and Evans returning we will have a stronger midfield, and perhaps Addai is the winger we are missing. In truth we are probably looking a mid table side at best. With our forward line we will be nowhere near the play offs.

We can celebrate an unlikely point at the league leaders but in truth they wern't a great side either.