Torquay United v Southend United Sat 18 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Southend United Sat 18 Sept KO 3pm

Post by portugull »

We welcome the Shrimpers to Plainmoor for a sea side clash between two old rivals neither of whom have made an auspicious start to the season.

The key thing for the Gulls is have we signed anyone in the last 24 hours who could make a difference.

Lots of rumours but as yet no news.

After 3 home defeats it is hard to be too optimistic but Southend lost 2-3 at Home last time to Aldershot who had lost all 5 games before.

Ever the optimist I go 2-1 for the Gulls more in hope than expectation.
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

Hearing reports Shaun Macdonald is back. Can anyone confirm?
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

I think it will be a close game but hoping rather than expecting we will edge them out. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet so will go 3-2.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Rhys1991 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:05 Hearing reports Shaun Macdonald is back. Can anyone confirm?
Yes he is. Looks like he is playing as well. No Halstead
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Absolute joke - he wasn't good enough whne he was here last time.

Randell on bench for Plymouth at Wimbledon.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

We must be playing a 3-5-2 again today as we only have one centre half and judging by tuesday night he isnt fit. If southend have done their homework then they will play stright through us as solihull did on tuesday. hoping for a draw as southend havent scored many this season but if we get away without getting thumped I will be content.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

brucie wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:11 Absolute joke - he wasn't good enough whne he was here last time.

Randell on bench for Plymouth at Wimbledon.
Good call.
He was just what we needed - didn’t have allot to do but talked well and was assured. Played out well from the back. Hopefully he stays.
I was wondering why he walked off after the game without applauding the fans but now I see why with comments like this.

Get behind the team, they did well today.

There is a team there they lack confidence and time playing together. It will come.

Lollos was excellent today as well.

COYY
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Just so good to be back a plainmoor. For a while I feared the worst.
Not a great game but a win is a win! Onwards and upwards. I think or should I say hope.
Felt really good when that goal went in at the end.Nothing beats a last minute win
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The 3-5-2 system going forward and then dropping into the 5-3-2 when we didnt have the ball certainly seemed to be an improvement.
This was a very tense game throughout with two sides lacking confidence. I thought we played well in the 1st half with lots of possession and some nice passing and movement. It was nice to see us look after the ball better. I thought bringing CLE into midfield was far better with him and Rodgers seeing plenty of the ball. O'Connell gave us plenty of much needed width and with Shaun M distributing out to the fullbacks the patterns of play was far improved. 2nd half and Southend came out with more intent and there was a period of 5-10 min that they grew into the game however we found a way to attack them down our right with Rodgers and then it was just us dominating and pushing forward.
I was surprised when GJ took off Rodgers??I thought he would have replaced O'Connell.
Then our goal couldnt have come at a better time. Totally deserved without any question. Moxey's cross was absolutely class with a tap in for CLE.
I m delighted for the players and fans todays. I thought the crowd was excellent and provided that lift . I m delighted for the players who at the final whistle celebrated like they had won a trophy.
I m particularly delighted for Lollos who was excellent today. He's been put through it recently. Well done lad.
I m going to celebrate our deserved victory today, I could go into a bit of a rant about GJ, I know alot of stuff has happened behind the scenes.
I ll save that for another day.

I mention about Southend, great support, fair play to them bringing so many down especially on their run of form.
They were poor in many areas and i think they will be having a struggle if they dont change things very soon. They were completely useless going forward.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Absolutely massive win this even at this early stage, against a terrible Southend team (how sad for a good former EFL club) as the 90th minute winner hit the back of the net you could feel, all the frustration, angst and palpable relief come out in an emotional goal celebration around the ground, as some would say 'scenes' or 'Limbs' It has to be noted that Southend didn't manage a single shot on target, and not much in the way of many notable attempts on our goal.

Bright point today, was Jonson at right back looked a better option than Wynter on recent performances and must have been close to MTOM , it was noticeable the defence won a lot more in the way of ariel headers into our box from crosses and set pieces, another plus point, defensively much more calm and assured today, could have down to the fact most had played with MacDonald before, MacDonald not really tested or worked today, what little he had to do did reasonably well, not sure whether this a stop gap signing, or as ongoing no1, but haven't changed my opinion of him, so jury's out as to whether that's poor signing, we'll see next week away to Chesterfield.

Just to get my one negative out the way, Lolos even though didn't have a real goal scoring chance I thought had a very good game, creating a lot of good openings, was very surprised to see him taken off, when Wright looked out on his feet, didn't think that was the right choice, but hey, the winning goal came after the substitution, the new lad Alex Addai looks a positive player, always looking for the ball and to try and do something positive with it, with a bit more fitness looks a potentially good addition.

Don't want to take anything away from a fantastic win, but has to be said, it was a poor game against a team who were not up to much at all, but it is a win, and we can only hope a real confidence booster.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I've got a rant about Johnson he's release two players in Waters and Umerah who just can't stop scoring, and signed Holman.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

After our woeful start to the season at Home I left the ground today proud of my team who truly deserved the 3 points against a Southend team who offered little.

Lolos was very quick and skilful and has genuine potential to be a very good player.He got a standing ovation from Bristows Bench when substituted which was richly deserved.

I love watching Dean Moxey He reads the game so well and his pass into the 6 yard box won us the game. A class player.

Joe Lewis covers so much ground and will get better and better.

Chiori Johnson showed today that he is a good Footballer who will be really important to us. The more he plays the better he will get.

Gabby Rodgers has real potential and showed a massive improvement in work ethic today.

Shaun MacDonald will not have an easier game than this but what he did he did well.

Overall a much improved performance today but a big test awaits next Saturday at Chesterfield.

fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Man of the match for me was Moxey!! Fantastic game. Absolutely class!! Followed by Lewis!! Great character shown today against an average Southend side!! Really needed a win today and we got it!! Evans works so hard and deserved to get the winner!! Back to back wins are crucial to climb the league but a tough game away to unbeaten top of the table Chesterfield next week. Confidence growing in the team and supporters!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

A win, three points and up to mid-table - just what the doctor ordered.

Better medicine than Championship side Derby County who are set to go into administration.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58604851
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Three points hard earned, we played early on with the weight of recent defeats on our back, but there were positives , Moxey playing centrally used his vast experience to read the threats, since the start of the friendlies I have thought Johnson is technically a far better right back than Wynter and that showed today, Lolos has had a tough baptism and could have gone either way but I think on the back of the last two appearances he will develop nicely. Rodgers has the ability to change a game with his shots but provides very little else. On todays showing if we were up against a top six team we would have been beaten and comfortably, Southend had no goal threat and undoubtedly were very happy with the draw until lemonheigh changed all that. Even after today we need some experienced additions.