Torquay United v Southend United Sat 18 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Great to get the 3 points and to be there to celebrate.

Good games from Lewis, Lolos and CLE. Johnson worked hard. MacDonald barely had a save to make but communicated well and gave off confidence, Wynter much improved.

I see BBC Spotlight did it again; announcing our result as 0-0 - what a bunch of (biased) amateurs!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

A much needed win. Didn’t really matter how it came so long as it did. I think a couple of positives to build on was the desire to try and get the ball down and play. Doesn’t always look pretty if it doesn’t come off but I would much rather see a ball played sideways or backwards to keep possession rather than being hoofed up in hope, which inevitably ends up with it coming straight back at us.
Also as others have mentioned having Shaun Macdonald back in goal seem to give the defence more confidence, noticeably Ben Wynter who look much more assured.
I still think we are too lightweight and will get bullied off the ball against a more robust side. And still need more pace.
However an encouraging win which will, hopefully, give the players confidence to go and perform at Chesterfield next week. COYY.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Wot no postings about promotion 🤔
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Anyone else notice 2 lads in Torquay United Tracksuits sat in the family stand? I didn’t recognise them as first team players. Perhaps youth team players or new signings??
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The local BBC’s hopelessness is beyond belief. They only needed to look at their own Sports results to get it right. However everything they do in respect of mentioned us seems destined to try to demean us. They simply would have been ridiculed were this Exeter and people would have been hung were it Plymouth. With us it’s well it’s not really that important anyway.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Surprised that the Club did not have a minutes silence / applause for former Torquay United Star Tony Scott, who died on Friday.
He played in Frank O'Farells side of the late sixties.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

This isn't intended to be a criticism, but I'm just wondering why Billy Waters and Josh Umerah appear to be in rich goalscoring form for their current clubs in contrast with their time at Torquay.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

You would be a very wise dog if you were able to answer that one however I personally think they are both doing it to put up Brucie’s blood pressure.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:46 This isn't intended to be a criticism, but I'm just wondering why Billy Waters and Josh Umerah appear to be in rich goalscoring form for their current clubs in contrast with their time at Torquay.
Don't think there's a direct answer to that, can be down to one or many reasons.

Start with is the player settled in the area, not always the case especially with younger players being away from family and friends.

Is the player happy at the club, good relationship with the manager, and coaching staff and fans.

Is the player, being played out of there favoured and strongest position .

Does the tactics, formations etc suit the players game ; Its no good playing wings backs, if you haven't got players who are suited to that system, for instance.

This one applies to Josh Umerah; Game time, Umerah didn't get a lot of it until Wright's injury, so came in cold and expected to perform, talking about this to a few friends at the match, don't understand why the club isn't looking into a monthly fixture with Exeter, Plymouth or Bideford, Taunton etc to give fringe players, youth teamers a run out.

I'm guessing a player gets released, signs for another club, happier in the area/surroundings, may get on with the boss better. In Umerah's case and no disrespect meant, he came here under massive pressure to perform, maybe a case of a small fish in a big pond, gone to Wealdstone closer to home for him, yes he's still under pressure to perform, but he's now the big fish, and is probably enjoying life, so hence the goals.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

North Curry House wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:06 Surprised that the Club did not have a minutes silence / applause for former Torquay United Star Tony Scott, who died on Friday.
He played in Frank O'Farells side of the late sixties.
And a terrific player he was - 80 appearances for West Ham (in days of Hammers 66' World Cups Stars, Moore, Hurst, Peters) then transferred to Aston Villa before coming to Plainmoor as part of the Golden Era Team. At least Bournemouth Afc had the decency to mourn his passing.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/c ... ony-scott/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:46 This isn't intended to be a criticism, but I'm just wondering why Billy Waters and Josh Umerah appear to be in rich goalscoring form for their current clubs in contrast with their time at Torquay.
Impossible to answer. Waters can feel hard done by to have been released by us, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Would he currently be doing better than Holman? Hard to say, but at a club like Halifax he's probably their main man, which surely helps. Same with Umerah at Wealdstone. He's starting every game, which he wouldn't be doing with us, and maybe he's a guy who needs a string of games to get into a groove.

No doubt they'll both score against us this season, but when they were released I don't think too many were upset (although id have been ok if Waters stayed).
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 22:56 And a terrific player he was - 80 appearances for West Ham (in days of Hammers 66' World Cups Stars, Moore, Hurst, Peters) then transferred to Aston Villa before coming to Plainmoor as part of the Golden Era Team. At least Bournemouth Afc had the decency to mourn his passing.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/c ... ony-scott/
He remains the focal point of my favourite childhood memories watching Torquay. I'm sure Robin Stubbs would echo the thoughts of Ted MacDougall. He was a fantastic player to watch in action back then.
RIP!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 13:51 Anyone else notice 2 lads in Torquay United Tracksuits sat in the family stand? I didn’t recognise them as first team players. Perhaps youth team players or new signings??
I didn't, but it's pretty common to see youth team lads sitting in the stands.
TUST member 203
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Are you seriously suggesting that Waters wouldn't be doing better than Holman if he was still here?

Yes Waters could consider himself unlucky to have been released, but the issue is what you replace him with? - if you get in someone comparable or better then fair enough. If you replace him with someone who is older, slower and has been out of the game then you have got to wonder. At least Holman is consistent - he couldn't score for Brackley and can't score for us.

As both Waters and Umerah have scored individually more goals than our entire forward line put together it doesn't really look that great.

And its just not that their scoring goals, they are good goals as well. I think saying that they are playing for lesser clubs is a weak excuse as well.

Perhaps their respective managers are getting more out of the players than Johnson did.