Torquay United v Grimsby Town Sat 11 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Grimsby Town Sat 11 Sept KO 3pm

Post by portugull »

After our important win away last Saturday the lads will be really up for opening their win account at Plainmoor after 2 Home defeats.

The first 20 minutes will be so important as we have to close down our opponents more effectively to stop a deluge of crosses into the box.

Last Saturday we proved their are goals in this team but we have to be tighter in defence. If Grimsby can ship 3 goals at home to Barnet it suggests this will be a game with goals.

I predict 2-2 draw.
REVUpminster
New Signing
New Signing

Post by REVUpminster »

Johnson has made bad signings. Dodgy goalkeeper, dodgy centre half. Lost too many good players at the end of the season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes that seems about right. Lost too many good players but the new signings are nowhere near good enough. Even more worrying seems to be Johnsons inability to get anybody in on loan.
REVUpminster
New Signing
New Signing

Post by REVUpminster »

After five games the second goalkeeper needs a chance. I would move Wright to centre half in the short term..
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

I’ve been defending Halstead so far, but the mistakes are all far too often, so so similar to McDonald and it’s going to cost us more and more.

Playing well, neither team has had many chances but again it boils down to individuals making mistakes and the opposition making the most of it
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

We need to get an absolute boss in goal, Halstead does not meet this criteria. We need a fix soon.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Couldn't make the game today had to go on training course, listened to the second half on the way home which sounded scrappy, obviously not the result we all wanted, but delighted again for Little.

Maybe, just maybe some will get off his back now, and I won't have to listen to another clueless moron slagging him off.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

This ain’t looking good folks 💩
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Don’t worry ….about a thing …. Cos every little thing gonna …..etc etc etc !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Our recruitment has been a farce.

Halstead - a liability

Martin - not up to it

O'Connell - offers nothing

Holman - past it

Lolos - never played anywhere near this standard.

Lapslie - another sicknote

There doesn't appear to be any teams in this league who are poorer than us . Wealdstone beat Altrincham (who hammered us) Dover held Chesterfield. Weymouth held Notts County and Dover held Chesterfield. Even Barnet look better than we are.

It looks increasingly apparent that Johnson is out of his depth. No striking/defensive replacements. No hint of a loan signing and signings that beggar belief. Signing Holman on the basis of his showing against Bournemouths under 12's whilst sacking off Waters is beginning to look like a job costing howler of epic proportions.

Our win last week was more buy luck than judgement - we could have lost it 5-4 on another day. Moxey, Holman and Little are all injured and we look a complete busted flush and up shit creek without a paddle.

Less than half a dozen games in and make no mistake this season is a relegation battle - it is nothing more than that.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Not sure Gary Johnson is out of his depth in the National league given his track record as a manager . But I do agree this season is going to be a real struggle and a relegation scrap .Our squad looked underwhelming at the get go and the results support my feeling. I don’t know where we go from here other than a complete rethink on some of our signings.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

Why is everyone trying to blame the recruitment?

Fkin hell, Ali Omar and Chiori Johnson were our standout players today along with Armarni before his injury. When Lolos come on he had some great touches, and to say he’s never played near this standard?? Nah he’s only played league 2 and league 1 football…..
Lapslie/Martin man of the match at Notts.

Asa, Danny Wright and Ben wynter all look unfit, Moxeys on his last legs and I think Asas last legs went last season. Lemonheigh evans looks a shadow of his former self…

The individual mistakes have got to stop and the team performance needs to improve, but to pick out the new players before looking at the almost untouchables is just ridiculous.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

CourtierGull wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 17:35 Why is everyone trying to blame the recruitment?

Fkin hell, Ali Omar and Chiori Johnson were our standout players today along with Armarni before his injury. When Lolos come on he had some great touches, and to say he’s never played near this standard?? Nah he’s only played league 2 and league 1 football…..
Lapslie/Martin man of the match at Notts.

Asa, Danny Wright and Ben wynter all look unfit, Moxeys on his last legs and I think Asas last legs went last season. Lemonheigh evans looks a shadow of his former self…

The individual mistakes have got to stop and the team performance needs to improve, but to pick out the new players before looking at the almost untouchables is just ridiculous.

I hear your pain Courtier and feel the same. My concerns regarding the recruitment in close season has more to do with the signings or lack to replace some of our ageing squad who obviously are nearing the end of their careers as much as replacing those that left. We haven’t in my opinion got close to doing either. Shipping nigh on 3 goals per game in contrast to last seasons record tells me that. We cannot defend as a team despite the individual efforts of one or two and that makes us relegation candidates if things don’t change .
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Another game we deservedly lost.

We can't concede three goals a game or have a goalkeeper who gives away a goal a game, and expect anything but to be well down the table.

With only three going down and Dover starting on minus twelve I'm not worried about relegation - yet!

We have to learn that straight high balls isn't the way to unlock a big well organised defence. Injuries didn't help, especially Little who was playing well again, and we did look better for a spell in the second half when we passed it wide - and was it over the line, but I think them scoring a third was inevitable.

My top priority would be a decent keeper on loan.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We do not look strong enough the Grimsby players were 6ft plus strong quick, fit and good on the ball. We were skillful worked hard weak in several places. Keeper, centre half, midfield. Lewis is an outstanding player but at centre half is wasted.
Garry needs to look at himself as well as the team was not set up solid enough. We need a midfielder strong in the air to sit in to protect the central defenders as they are left in open space. Both last years keepers were better than the ones we've got. We have too many players alike same size similar skills. I can't see us getting better until we sign a keeper, centre half and defensive midfielder although Asa could do the job.