Torquay United v Grimsby Town Sat 11 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

For 20minutes we looked decent, 1-0 up and we were controlled and energetic all over the pitch

Cue capitulation

Efete picks the ball up on the right hand touchline on the halfway line and is allowed to run all the way into our box and roll the ball in - pathetic. Little tried to run with him but was never going to muscle him off the ball, no-one at all attempts to help and its a shot that i would expect a goalkeeper at our level to save.

From then the whole game plan went out the window, Halstead all over the place getting nowhere near a cross and its 1-2.

Fair play to Moxey for a spectacular goal line clearance otherwise ti would have been 3 before HT

The 2nd half was shameful, no fight, passion or desire you'd have thought we were 0-8 down. Grimsby didn't attack, they didn't need to. Their 3rd was again from poor play and the cardboard cut out keeper is beaten again.

4-4-2 doesnt work with no wide men, we were being over run in the middle and should have changed system

Not good enough from a large majority of players today
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at Plainmoor today and the first 45 minutes was entertaining.

Armani Little scored a superb free kick on 11 minutes in front of over 400 Grimsby fans. Great strike.

Joe Lewis missed a golden chance for 2 nil when he smashed over from 6 yards.

The equaliser came from former gull Michee Efete who ran unchallenged 45 yards and slotted past Halstead.

Grimsby were quicker and fitter than United and we really lack pace.

Modern Football is all about athleticism fitness pace and of course ability.

For critics of Gary I would just say this. Stockport have 5 points from 15. Southend the same. Bromley have 4 from 12.

Big spenders Wrexham and Notts County have 9 from 15. It just proves this is an ultra competitive League but at the moment we are not good enough.

Gary knows that and he will make changes. He has no choice.

Halstead is very poor and if the defence has no confidence in the keeper this is a major problem.

Halstead was injured and I do not think he will play on Tuesday at Solihull.

The second half was a catalogue of injuries mainly for United and play was constantly interrupted.

I and many thought Joe Lewis had equalised when the keeper saved behind the line but the Lineman was not up with play and could not help the ref. Maybe cost us a point and it will be very interesting to see the Highlights.

This team is way behind last seasons we can all see that so over to you Gary you know what to do we can only live in hope.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

It was stated by many after the pre-season and first game of the season that we had not replaced the players that had left and that this squad was lacking 3-4 quality players.
But some chose to to say that it was too early to tell and give them a chance etc etc.
Well once again after we have been well and truly beaten had home for the third consecutive time hopefully everybody will now see that we are going nowhere this season until the squad is sufficiently strengthened in key areas.

Efete's goal just about sums us up. Bloody pathetic.
We now appear to have a load more injuries and its going to get far worse.

I will leave my final comment to the popside linesman, you complete tw"t!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

This season we appear to be competing with limited pace and acceleration and we appear to be paying the price. Last season the speed at which we played the game basically affected everything else in the game, higher tempo yielding more passes, more tackles, more shots and a lot of goals. Pace appears distinctly lacking this season. The Grimsby back four did not look troubled today as we were unable to breakdown their defensive structure to lead to better scoring chances.

We still have the nucleus of a good side so for me I would like to see a few loanees (Sunderland or Bournemouth) with pace and width who can get behind the oppositions back four. I think this needs to be done sooner rather than later for any prospect of play off places. While it may be a long dour season ahead I don't buy into talk of a relegation battle ahead - well not just yet!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well as a game of football the first half was enjoyable, going in 2-1 down we always had the chance to come back after a good team chat, cancel that, the team obviously didnt get one and Grimsby came out far better, for the benefit of forevertufc, Little had a good first half cameo with a superb goal but I think he has done his hamstring ,AGAIN.
Halstead again looked nervous but so would I with what he had in front of him, he had very little protection all afternoon. Lapslie was a big miss today but is he another player than cannot play two games a week. Ours subs were just that, players that were not good enough to start in an average team.
As a game of football the Grimsby team were what we should aspire too, quality players,much tighter defence and they could always find the pass and had the ability to change the play, we did not. But I bet their budget is twice ours.
Regardless of a few loans this will be a difficuly season.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I'm afraid I am not so sanguine about this team's chances. There is no confidence in this group at the moment and we look like relegation fodder to me. We have been out fought, out thought, out muscled and out played by three teams at Plainmoor who few would have slated for the playoffs, never mind promotion. Even last week we were extremely lucky to pick up all three points. We now have the unenviable record for most goals conceded as well as the worst disciplinary record in the division. We also have injuries mounting up again - it looks like Little (our top scorer) will be out for another long period with what looks like a recurrence of his hamstring injury and Moxey has probably picked up a groin strain from his heroic save to stop us going 3 down before half time today. Yes, its a long season and much can happen before its conclusion but GJ's assertion that he has assembled a competitive squad is looking pretty thin to me.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Quite an honour to meet John Harris at Plainmoor this afternoon. He was the police dog handler in 1987, when his dog Bryn bit Jim McNicholl. We secured a 2-2 draw against Crewe to avoid being the first team to be relegated out of the Football League.

Sadly we have suffered that fate twice since.....and now it looks that our inability to gain promotion last season will lead to a lengthy spell in non league.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

What a sh1t show that was !!

Mr Johnson p!ease could you;

a) Take a good look, before the games, at the height and body mass of the opposition central defence and in the cases where they are taller and probably stronger than our centre forward(s) STOP our goalkeeper/defenders/midfield pumping the ball down the opposition central defenders throats in order to try to avoid an immediate return of said ball at least 20 yards away from the direction of their goal.

b)Try to coach your players to offer an option at throw ins that does not involve hurling the ball down the channel toward our forward sandwiched between 2/3 oppositions players and expect to create some momentum from that.

c) Provide some bloody width on the pitch to provide keeper/defenders/midfield with an option that is different from a) above. Even Holman was shouting for width during the game today!.

d) Look to improve pace training to get that onto the pitch - if your current players lack the ability to improve their own pace look for alternative players who can provide that, preferably those who understand the benefit of width which would naturally resolve the request in c). (I appreciate I will come under criticism for this comment with cries of "he is looking". "where will he find them" etc.!)

d) Review your players team togetherness - it was notable today that it was 3/4 minutes before anyone came over to Holman when he went down obviously injured. I would have hoped that there was sufficient concern amongst the team to check on a colleague more quickly than that - is team morale falling away?

As you regular!y state your players are in the entertainment business and today's performance was anything but entertaining after the opening act !
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Spot on Gloomy Gull, especially a - c above. Beaten again by our own tactical ineptitude and inability to do the basics.
The Grimsby front 2 combined really well, came off their markers to get the ball to feet of supporting teammates, solid back 4 easily able to deal with our one-dimensional style of play, pacey outlet down the right.
Us, well we were strung out across the field, front 2 not playing together while being expected to only jump for high balls, midfield not playing together, defenders humping the ball forwards, keeper only kicking long; absolutely no controlling influence or playing with purpose, only causing occasional threat with set-piece plays, and then, as ever, only aiming beyond the far post (why never near post???).
Any young players at the beginning of their hoped-for careers are not going to learn much from the route 1 tactic.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

The story of the family being turned away by a laughing steward is extremely concerning. The club should investigate this story fully and sack the steward if proven. A business that mocks its customers deserves to lose them. I’ve seen stupid at Plainmoor many times over the 57 years I’ve been supporting the Gulls, but laughing at fans whilst turning them away for being one minute late is probably the craziest and most ridiculous thing I’ve heard of.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 17:24 The story of the family being turned away by a laughing steward is extremely concerning. The club should investigate this story fully and sack the steward if proven. A business that mocks its customers deserves to lose them. I’ve seen stupid at Plainmoor many times over the 57 years I’ve been supporting the Gulls, but laughing at fans whilst turning them away for being one minute late is probably the craziest and most ridiculous thing I’ve heard of.
Also why sell tickets for seats in Bristows Bench and then stick a banner over them to segregate fans!! I saw a family rock up and a few lads only to find their seats are under the banner!! They then find another seat which is empty at the time only to have to move when the ticket holder rocks up for the seat they have had to sit in!!
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

I was quite worried after seeing all the pre season friendlies about our new signings. We seemed to lack pace and strengh. I was won over after watching a great first half at Maidenhead and was prepared to put the second half down to nerves and perhaps a little complacency. However after yesterday's performance I am very concerned.
Firstly, only 1900 Torquay fans. Perhaps after 18 months we've lost a few fans.
Secondly, not one loan signing?? Has the budget been cut as I make it a squad of 18.
Thirdly, within the 18 probably half are not up to it. Halstead was poor yesterday but perhaps is carrying an injury. Certainly wasn't keen to come out to take set pieces and his ball handling was poor. Wagner needs to be stronger in the air when defending the back post. Wright is working hard but every game I've seen he's being held by two strapping centre halves. Holman holds the ball up well and will improve. The four subs yesterday don't look like making an impact. Disagree with others about Hall and Moxey as I think they still have a lot to offer. Lapsie did well at Maidenhead so shame he picked up an injury. Gutted for Little as he found some form in the last two. Lewis has been strong and every match will be a fight for him as most strikers at this level seem Hugh!! We lack pace badly. Let's see if we get any loans in tomorrow!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Travelled down for over 5hrs in the car to watch that......
Not great viewing, although we should have made it 2-0 from dannys header back across goal and the shot was blazed over....
would have been a different game.
dont blame the goalie for the first goal, decent shot across goal. poor defending, efete (of all people) strolled from the half way line and scored.
no one got near him. he should have been put up in the air before he got near the box.
dog sh*t decision from the lino for their free kick that led to their 2nd goal. moxey clearly won the ball.
need to get going - happy for armani, great strike.
grimsby look a good team and will be in the top 7 for sure.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Never mind sacking the steward - the club should do something about supporters making the effort to turn up an hour before kick of and not being able to get in.

I agree with you though, it is completely pathetic and moronic.
GloucesterGull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GloucesterGull »

In regards to the stewards;
I made the trip down from Gloucester on Saturday as I’m currently on Gardening Leave so thought I’d make use of my time coming down to plainmoor. It was a bit of a last-minute decision so I didn’t buy a ticket online.

The M5 was so busy on Saturday- mostly caravans and Middle Lane Drivers Club members so the usual 2 hour journey became 3.5 hours so made it to the ground about 25 mins before KO.

The line for the ticket office was VERY long and moving slowly due to test and trace apparently. I got to hear Little’s goal from the queue, little did I know at the time that would be our only one! Got my ticket at 3:15 and walked around to the Pop. When I got to the gate the steward told me that the gate was closed and I couldn’t come in. I told him that I’d just been sold the ticket and it would be fine. He told me rules are rules. Let him know there were another 20 people behind me wanting tickets so I’d be kicking off is he didn’t let me in. Anyway, begrudgingly he let me in.

Surely, as an employee, he’d want to see more in the ground showing support- considering the lack of fans from the previous season. The club need to look into this and improve communication between ticket office and the head steward.