Torquay United v Altrincham Sat 21 August KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

No need to panic. 50% newbies, time needed to gel together, a lot or expectation to live up to, AFC were pretty handy but had a lot of time preparing to play the real champions! Referee was US, a little patience and time required, feel sorry for GJ, he deserves better and gets no luck! Have faith GJ is the best Man to sort it.
MattTUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MattTUFC »

Idk if i am gonna sound a bit harsh but we was dreadful. I can only remember us really having two shots one head over the bar and the other the keeper saved easily. But it was the tactics was the main problem. We see this all the time we hit the ball high and loose it. I bet if we played properly on the ground and run at their defence we would score alot more as we would be more dangerous and a threat. Its to easy for teams to play against us. Ref didn’t help but even if the game carried on idk if we would of scored. 2500 people today and most of them it would of been their first time, back to 1600.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just can't be nothing but critical of our club, management even the fans today, on a day we got stuffed and deservingly so. Lets start with why have our club become so user unfriendly, arrived at the game today, been going pre match into the Gulls nest for awhile now, always through the middle match day reception door, told you can no longer go through that door entrance, go through the family stand turnstile , didn't know that hadn't seen it written anywhere, but no drama, go to family stand entrance told can't go through here to gulls nest, got to go to match day reception been there they told got go through here, no you can't do that, so go back to match day reception, no go through main reception, seriously what does it matter which entrance you use, QR code scanners are surely not specific, and if your worried about Covid infections, great idea to force everyone up the same staircase.

For the third season in a row we're starting the season with injuries why? When is someone going start asking questions about this instead of calling ourselves injury FC and moaning about how unlucky we are, going beyond luck now.

Fans, it took less than 25 minutes for us to turn on the team, and for Armani Little come on how pathetic are some of our so called supporters, some of you have clearly made up your minds, because I could hear voices around the ground after about 3 minutes banging on about how shit he is, Little is a certain type of player, with out a team set up that allows him space to play, with good movement off the ball giving him options to pass to, what in god name do some of you expect him to do, Little didn't stand a chance today, didn't take long for some, to turn on Gabby Rogers either, give these lads a chance for fork sake.

In the final third to today all over the god damn place, what sort of organization was that ? We just as well have sent 11 players out there today with instructions to do what ever the hell you liked, because that what it felt like I was watching, Altrincham didn't beat us today because they were the better team, we allowed them to turn this into a battle of attrition, when it came to individual battles they won the lot.

In my opinion we can't blame Halstead for any of the goals, but can understand why some have levelled criticism here, at times he looked panicked, failed to catch or hold on to some simple stuff, although did make one very good save, and while some were saying can't blame the young lad O'Connell I think it was for the second goal, what help did the keeper or anyone else give him, where was the call to 'hook it away' did he get that call or not I can't say.

All in all a shocking performance from us today but taking nothing away from Altrincham who thoroughly deserved the three points, with Ali Omar the only true positive to come out of this game.

In conclusion however this is only game one, and no need to be pressing the panic button yet, but must be said on that, Gary Johnson has a lot of hard work to do.
Last edited by Dave on 21 Aug 2021, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

No creativity, no quality and silly errors. This squad is no where near good enough at this moment in time . Loan signings needed
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Played two target men so the ball was in the air far too much, no creativity in midfield, and the back four didn’t defend well. Not going to win football matches playing like that.
Where were CLE and Jake Andrews?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well whatever else Little is a completely useless choice as captain. Bar scoring the odd free kick he's really done nothing for about 2 seasons.

We clearly are nowhere near the team we were last season. I expected us to announce a couple of loan signings before the match but was dismayed when noone came in and knew that we would lose. The squad looks woefully light all over the shop - no cover in the striking department or in central defence.

Next weeks game at Notts county will tell us all we need to know about how this season is going to go. We might be only one game in but its looking somewhat bleak already,
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

An absolutely shocking display today. There were players today who are not at the level required for this league. On display today Joe Lewis is head and shoulders above anybody else.
Are set pieces are a complete joke, the first corner Little puts it straight out and it didnt get much better.
We consistantly give up possession of the ball.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

As it was the first game of the season I will forgive the team the hour and half of holiday traffic to watch total rubbish. Forevertufc, I disagree with you on this occasion, today Armani did us proud, he was useless from minute one and should have been brought off before half time, although I never once voiced that opinion, perhaps that makes me worse than those that were honest enough to say he was crap, regardless of the type of player you imagine him to be, he is no longer our no 1, probably not even no2 playmaker, Lapslie has rightly taken that crown with the addition he puts in the miles, Little was by no means the only dud today, O'connell did reasonably well pre season aginst very poor opposition but today he was so far out of his depth against a mid table national league team.Without Hall on the pitch we lack a natural leader, after they had scored their second there was a collective look to the bench as if to say, Boss, you never told us this would happen, can we go home to our mums now. I understand pre season was pretty much dictated for us with the exception of Plymouth we played third class opposition, that we have not had a game for eleven days was a tactical error, Altricham played a friendly tuesday and boy did it show, If we do not get an experienced centre half before we take on county if will be a cricket score.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I do wonder whether or not one or two loan signings did not materialise as expected perhaps. Last season we had a roster of 4 centre halves - ok two of them were Kerr and Warren but on paper there was plenty of experience and back up there. Add Cameron, Sherring and Lewis and it was pretty strong.

This season we have Lewis, Omar and the inexperienced Slough. Get an injury to either of the first two and we would seriously be in trouble. In fact there was no central defensive cover on the bench today.

The same can be said of the striking department - our main hope is getting on towards 40 and his partner is over 30 and has been out of the game for ages. The only other option Lolos hasn't actually played for anyone.

It all seems dreadfully weak to me and I'm already fearing a shellacking at the hands of Cameron and co next week.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

We lose the first game and all comments on here are negative, obviously those reporting on here should have come to the pre season matches. I expect they’ll be calling for GJ’s head next! 🥱
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Tell me something positive about todays performance??
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Reminded me of the bad old days, no tactics, slow plodding defence, lightweight attack.

Why do we always resort to 50/50 long balls? We look dangerous when we play it on the ground.

It's hard when all 3 goals should of been avoided. Bad decision making for all of them.

There was no criticism of Little, the team or Johnson from Bristows. Certainly being abused isn't going to help anyone during a game. Tbf though Little looks a red card waiting to happen at times. There isn't enough space for him to make telling passes or crosses. But the set pieces were terrible. 2 of 3 corners went straight out. Just stops any momentum.

I actually thought keeper was OK, and not at fault for any of the goals, and made one excellent save to keep us in it. Maybe I saw it wrong!

People have praised the new centre back, he certainly won a lot of headers, but I thought he was slow, and passing was poor. But something that can be worked on

Hopefully Asa, and CLE back in the first team soon.

Two 30 somethings up front didn't seem to work, was expecting one to start and one to replace him. It was like Waters was playing again.

Crowd would certainly of been more with pay on the gate.

I thought they got behind the team well till we went 2 down. A bad day at the office, too many newbies I guess. Some losses you can accept, but today was so poor.

Fingers crossed, time, players back and we'll come good.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

notnow wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 19:40 We lose the first game and all comments on here are negative, obviously those reporting on here should have come to the pre season matches. I expect they’ll be calling for GJ’s head next! 🥱
No I didn’t go to pre season games because they are just that. However when it counts, and that is today, we clearly weren’t ready. Granted there were 5 or so players making their debuts but the quality of play was woeful with far too many balls aimlessly played in the air. Think we missed CLE and Jake Andrews big time. Did look a bit more like it when ASA came on.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Oh, and please stop that awful music after our goals. Chronic.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Stop the log ball in the air it doesn’t work never worked even with Reid in the team even in play off final and still didn’t work today. Just play touch and go football on the ground. I could have driven a HGV through the middle of are forwards and defenders so much space between them. Attendance today 2500 a week Monday against Woking oh dear if we play like that who knows. It’s so frustrating :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(