Just how good has Asa Hall been this season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Just how good has Asa Hall been this season?

Post by Southampton Gull »

Captain Fantastic is our top scorer and for me has been head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of the importance of his contribution over a season. It's no coincidence our form dipped while he was absent.
Along with outstanding performances has been his ability to score some cracking goals too. His finishing is as good as any forward I've seen for some time. I sometimes feel his quality and importance to our side is overlooked by many fans but with the season we're having I can forgive that. I'm so impressed with his hunger for the game and the way he drives other players on when they're maybe not having the best of times. Gary Johnson certainly knew what he was doing when signing him....or was it the result of good scouting? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:44 Captain Fantastic is our top scorer and for me has been head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of the importance of his contribution over a season. It's no coincidence our form dipped while he was absent.
Along with outstanding performances has been his ability to score some cracking goals too. His finishing is as good as any forward I've seen for some time. I sometimes feel his quality and importance to our side is overlooked by many fans but with the season we're having I can forgive that. I'm so impressed with his hunger for the game and the way he drives other players on when they're maybe not having the best of times. Gary Johnson certainly knew what he was doing when signing him....or was it the result of good scouting? ;-)
I quite agree with you Dave - I have been singing his praises all season. For me he is as influential as Hargreaves was when we last won promotion to the FL.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:44 Captain Fantastic is our top scorer and for me has been head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of the importance of his contribution over a season. It's no coincidence our form dipped while he was absent.
Totally agree he is just as important in our box as he is in the opponent’s. However was it not Gary Owers that signed him making the comment at the time that he wanted to build the team around him??
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A great tribute, what ever he costs we need him for next season, he is a class act and a natural leader.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

My player of the season too. No doubt about it, although it has been a fantastic team effort by everyone.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

There must be something in the water supply in Dawlish. I 100% agree with SG on Asa Hall. He surely must win the National League player of the season award.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We have been fortunate this season to have some midfield maestro's but for me Asa has been the 'Engine' . He has been the archetypical box-to-box footballer who covers every blade of grass, seeks goal scoring chances, tracks down his opponent and displays relentless energy from the first minute to the final whistle. He has lead the team by example.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Asa at 34 is in the twilight of his long career but has he ever had a better season?

I think not. He has scored something like 22 goals in less than 60 appearances for Torquay since signing on 1July 2018.

Amazing for a midfielder and why I totally agree with Southampton Gull. He is a great leader and every player in the squad obviously respects him for being the ultimate professional.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Let's face it, Asa has been outstanding.
When he hasn't been in the team he's been a massive miss.
I think that says it all.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DWB wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:50

Totally agree he is just as important in our box as he is in the opponent’s. However was it not Gary Owers that signed him making the comment at the time that he wanted to build the team around him??
If it was Gary Owers then that must rank as his most significant contribution to the club. I'll counter that with saying GJ brought out the best in him ;-)
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Without looking it up & I stand to be corrected, wasnt Asa with GJ at Cheltenham ? If so he knows how to get the best out of him.
Let's not count our chickens yet, still 4 mighty performances needed , a dodgy injury or a daft red card ( al la Kings Lynn ) could yet play a significant role in this season yet !
This is Torquay United after all, weve never done things the easy way !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Not one person has counted any chickens. We're talking about the performances of our Captain so perhaps it's you doing the assuming?
Dave

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Hall has been inspirational and awesome. He sets a terrific example for a model professional.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Wholeheartedly agree.
Asa has been sensational.

The tune Gary Johnson has got out of many players that Gary Owers brought in is very reminiscent of how Leroy got MacFarland’s side singing years ago.

Whatever happens from here on in, the character and resilience to have reclaimed top spot at this stage from the disappointment of the collapsing lead amidst the injury wreckage speaks volumes for Gary’s man management and the talent he has brought to the fore.

It’s been an amazing season and might yet be even better...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 May 2021, 08:49 Not one person has counted any chickens. We're talking about the performances of our Captain so perhaps it's you doing the assuming?
I suppose that it's theoretically possible for Hall to undo all the good stuff he's done this season be putting in 3 own goals, getting sent off, and then leaving a steaming dump in Kai Hepworth's physio bag. I guess that would then mean we'd counted chickens!

Unlikely, though, I'll grant you.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.