Chesterfield v Torquay United Monday 3 May KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great result & a clean sheet in very difficult conditions.
Pressure on Sutton.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

hoping Notts can do us a favour tomorrow, although that May 15th game at Stockport looks bigger every day.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: 03 May 2021, 16:57 hoping Notts can do us a favour tomorrow, although that May 15th game at Stockport looks bigger every day.
Agreed.
Win that and I think we win the league.
Then on the 22nd its Sutton v Pools
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great result - looking more and more like the Stockport game as the title decider. Well done everyone - especially Billy Waters who has finally proven his credentials in recent games.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

For me the best result of the season. Now for a little rest before the next game. I don’t necessarily think the Stockport game is a title decider as we are 5 points ahead of them, so dare I say it we could afford to lose that one and still win the league, although that would then let Sutton in! Wow it is so tense but we just seem to be going on and on. Great result lads, well done
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Ice-cool Torquay. This game was the highest of highs, as Torquay came out firing right from kickoff, catching off-guard a Chesterfield side that boasted of being unbeaten by us in the league. But it was Torquay that gave Chesterfield's back four all they could handle. This was a spine-tingling day, the climax of a magnificent winning run to slot us back firmly to the top of the league. A magnificent football match with Torquay at their finest.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

DWB wrote: 03 May 2021, 17:10 For me the best result of the season. Now for a little rest before the next game. I don’t necessarily think the Stockport game is a title decider as we are 5 points ahead of them, so dare I say it we could afford to lose that one and still win the league, although that would then let Sutton in! Wow it is so tense but we just seem to be going on and on. Great result lads, well done
I don’t think Sutton are the threat we think. They have struggled and still have Notts away tomorrow, Maidenhead away who aren’t out of it and Hartlepool at home who will now be out for a turnaround after today’s defeat. It is clearly in our hands. For Stockport, I think their games against D &R and Yeovil (away last day) may not be easy for them.

Win or draw against Stockport and we are champions. Even a loss it’s ours if we win all our games, subject to Sutton only losing one of the three games above.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Were the substitutions precautionary/tactical or have we some more potentially crocked players?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Course we are not - that's nonsense. We've also got to play three other games.

Sutton are challenging because of their pitch. Bromley beat Hartlepool today - oh yes another plastic pitch.

Warren definitely injured and Kimpioka seemed to limping walking off at the end.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

slay1373 wrote: 03 May 2021, 17:19 I don’t think Sutton are the threat we think. They have struggled and still have Notts away tomorrow, Maidenhead away who aren’t out of it and Hartlepool at home who will now be out for a turnaround after today’s defeat. It is clearly in our hands. For Stockport, I think their games against D &R and Yeovil (away last day) may not be easy for them.

Win or draw against Stockport and we are champions. Even a loss it’s ours if we win all our games, subject to Sutton only losing one of the three games above.
Even if we win all our games Sutton have to lose one.
If we lose to Stockport we’d still be above them but would need Sutton to lose two.
It’s Sutton who I think are the biggest worry as it’s in our hands to finish above everyone else.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A great result today especially in the teeth of a gale , I thought Sherring kept Rowe in his pocket for most of the game, Warren and Moxey were outstanding, it is always concerning when it looks like we were sitting on a slim lead but our second knocked the stuffing out of them. Its impossible to predict what other teams may or may not do, teams like Stockport , Hartlepool and Halifax may ease off in the last couple of games and rotate their best players to save them for the playoffs. All that concerns us is winning the last four games and let everyone else worry about catching us.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

happytorq wrote: 03 May 2021, 16:57 hoping Notts can do us a favour tomorrow, although that May 15th game at Stockport looks bigger every day.
I do not think Notts County are capable of beating Sutton. They were 2-0 up against us and were lucky to get s point in the end. They have not won for seven or eight matches.
i pray they can beat Sutton tomorrow but am not holding my breath.
Hartlepool could finish out of the top three, leaving Stockport to be in pole position for a home playoff semi final.
We are 5 points ahead of Stockport with four games to play.
Sutton are our main rivals, they need to drop two and preferribly three points.

Sutton can achieve a maximum of 90 points. We can get to 88. Stockport 83 and Hartlepool 82.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Wonderful all round performance from the team . Got our goal and defended brilliantly .Great seeing Billy celebrate with Boden too. Was going to be hard for Benji today but he worked hard for an hour which is what was wanted.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

As I have alluded to before Notts County are not in a playoff position now and they just have to win tomorrow night against Sutton and I think they will
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

This was a fantastic result, Especially given the turnaround. They must of went home Saturday night and then back at the ground Sunday. Can only assume we travelled up Sunday. GJ must have had the team talk on the bus...
We just need to keep this run going and not worry about anyone else. I think if we win our remaining 4 games we will go up as champions. I tend to agree with DWB result of the season for me.
The Hartlepool defeat I think has knocked them out of the running. If county do us a favour tomorrow night it would be fantastic.
Saying that Bromley is going to be another tough game. In GJ we trust......