29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Post by portugull »

Well with 9 games to go for United the next 43 days will be exciting for all United fans after a run of 6 wins from 7 games has propelled us back to a position were we have a real chance of being Number 1 and returning to the Football League for season 2021/22.

We have 5 Home games and 4 Away. We play Notts County 6th Chesterfield 5th and Stockport 4th the latter two Away from Home.

I think the Title is between United, Stockport,Chesterfield and Sutton.

I rule out Hartlepool who only have 7 games left including Sutton Away and Chesterfield at Home. They also have a poor goal difference.

Notts County are not in form having lost 3 of their last 5 games. Also they have 7 of their last 11 games Away. Wrexham and Halifax are too far behind now.

The more I study the fixtures the more I see it being Torquay or Stockport. 15th May sees United visit Stockport.Strangely Stockports Home record is poor only 7 wins from 16 games.

If we can avoid defeat at Stockport and maintain our superb recent defensive improvement I think we must be favourites but I have not checked the Bookmakers odds.

COYY.
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pools fan here now I’m not saying we are going to win the league, but how can you rule pools out of it, yet say Chesterfield can win it? We are 12 points ahead of them and have them to play at home. We have won 12 and drawn 1 of our last 13 at home I think, not only that Chesterfield have 7 games against the top 10.
ALTE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ALTE »

I think its impossible to make the calls you just did with any degree of accuracy. Anybody can lose to anybody else in this league on any given day, especially us. I just hope we end up on the right side of this scrap.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have to agree with monkeyhanger on that one .Hartlepool bang in form and look a good side though they do have to rely on teams dropping points. Saw odds from a bookmaker via the Hartlepool Mail which reckoned Sutton would win the league , 8 points clear of Torquay in third place !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm with Portugull. Hartlepool will run out of games as us, Sutton and Stockport pull away. Chesterfield have put in a great run but play offs for them.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

It's simple. Altrincham beat Sutton today by 2 or 3 goals and we win all our remaining matches with Sutton another dropping a point or two. See, simple this football prediction malarky.

Personally, I think this is going to the wire and goal difference could be the deciding factor.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

A lot depends on these next two games of Sutton's if they win them both, they will be red hot favourites to win it. I don't think I'm the only to notice you have a batch of about 4 games in a row shortly that look very tricky, which could let Stockport sneak into it.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

We CAN do it but there needs to be some wriggle room created by Sutton in their next two games and by Hartlepool not accruing maximum points. To get promoted we need to (for the time being) look up the table. If we can muster three successive wins, with six games left we will be in a strong position psychologically. The Championship will be won by the club with the strongest resolve.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

monkeyhanger I can understand why you feel I have underestimated Hartlepool given they have a 12 point lead over Chesterfield.

However after todays games Chesterfield play 4 times in April and Hartlepool do not play a single game. This is because you have switched your Home game with Weymouth from 24 April to 29 May.

So much will depend on the form of Sutton United who have taken just 7 points from the last 18. As part timers they will be under a lot of pressure.

As United62 says it could well be decided on goal difference but the Bookmakers seem to still have Sutton as favourites unless the odds I have seen are out of date.

We are all in for a nail biting 6 weeks that is for sure.
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just a couple of points there mate. It doesn't look like Weymouth want to move the game and its probably for the best for us, because it will be Bennett's last game for us before Stockport recall him. Chesterfield would also only play 3 times, their 4th game is us. They are the last team id worry about at the minute, Stockport are the real dangers so much firepower.

Think your right though it will probably go to the wire but good luck, if we can't get promoted why not yourselves? A great little club and place to play footy.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

What were you saying about Hartlepools goal difference Portugull !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

desperado wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 14:14 What were you saying about Hartlepools goal difference Portugull !!
2 late goals sorted that out.

Altrincham won't be a pushover so if Sutton drop a couple of points later the division will open right up again.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Today’s results confirmed that we should be looking up rather than down.

As noted above, we just need to do our thing and Hartlepool will be caught, then we need Sutton to slip...
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Sutton winning.
With todays results I think it's pretty certain to be between us, Sutton & Hartlepool for top place.
And the two who miss out should go straight into the play off semi final.
It is really hard to know who is most likely of the three to win the league. Despite not having played at our best (other than at Sutton) we are the form team but Hartlepool have the points on the board.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Well how often in the National League does the away side score 7 goals!. I guess monkeyhanger is none to happy with Bennett going back to Stockport after his hattrick today.

With Chesterfield and Notts County both losing at Home today it really looks like the top four are going to fight it out. If Sutton do win today and they are 1 nil up they would have a 7 point lead over Stockport and a game in hand.

Yet again Stockport fail to win at Home so good news for the Gulls. Watch the bookies odds they do not often get it wrong.