Maidenhead V Torquay United 16 March 2021 KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 21:49 Shook hands and straight down the tunnel. I would love to be in that dressing room right now.
I missed that, he must have moved quicker than any of our players tonight :~D
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

What total GARBAGE. Save us the disappointment, call the season off now, let us follow Dover in not playing.

This was s total embarrasment losing to a part time side......and not just losing but being outclassed.

Not surprised Blissett got a couple, it was on the cards.

Even the playoffs look beyondvthis lot!.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yep I agree.

Given our lousy form it's really surprising we still have any chance let alone being third.

The two fixtures we have just had were tricky ones let alone with the available XI.

It's all now about confidence. Let's be honest we got hammered tonight and Saturday is actually a vital game. An ugly win would be key.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

With all these injuries now we even playing one of our better midfielders randell in defensive posiition. i can see why we started 3 at the back but the argyle lad has to start at leftback saturday. all our forwards are uselesee and feel sorry for boden. that team and bench wont get many points for sure and its an easy 3 points for them
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Gull in black »

I know GJ likes to keep our injury list confidential, but I’m not sure our opponents are really that bothered about the names on our team sheet now. So can we please have an update on our injury list. It might give us some hope ... will it be weeks or months before we see Nemane, Cameron, Whitfield, Moxey etc ... I expect Danny Wright will be awhile.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You've left out Warren - although have you accepted that he will be permanently welded to the treatment table.
ALTE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ALTE »

Gull in black wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 22:59 I know GJ likes to keep our injury list confidential, but I’m not sure our opponents are really that bothered about the names on our team sheet now. So can we please have an update on our injury list. It might give us some hope ... will it be weeks or months before we see Nemane, Cameron, Whitfield, Moxey etc ... I expect Danny Wright will be awhile.
Agreed. Its time to give up on this ridiculous idea that being secretive about our injury list is in any way giving us an advantage. Its frustrating to the fans (who pay your wages) and right now they need a clear and honest picture of whats going on in that treatment room. There needs to be a timeline for fans to have hope (or not) and these players need to be held accountable. Seems to me many are hiding and not too eager to put their hands up and jump back into this shit storm.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

People can blame the injuries if they wish but GJ is getting a lot of other things wrong

Playing too many players out of position and (as well as his brother) poor recruitment of replacements

Really believe the decision to keep the 2 below average G/Ks we have rather than have got rid of both last summer for a decent no.1 has also cost us
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

No comment from GJ yet?
Considering his position?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

In terms of position, at the start of the season I think most would have been happy to be third at this stage, with two games in hand over the teams above and below us. The superb run before Christmas wasn’t expected but nor was such a collapse in form. If we can pick up form and maintain third position it won’t be a bad season and if we can finish in the top seven, enter the play offs in form and win them, it will have been an amazing season. Far too soon to be considering the manager’s future.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I was going to slaughter Johnson after last nights inevitable and embarrassing defeat, 90 minutes that would have made Gary Owers proud.But last night he had the balls to come out and say it was down to him, his fault,his failings which is welcome and long overdue and a change to his default position of blaming the players. Was he being honest, only time will tell or did he realise that every other avenue had exploded in his face and it was now totally on him, I still believe his management style belongs n the last century, his cold war attitude to secrecy belies the fact that social media and the players themselves give out more information on a daily basis than he can hide, can it have any effect to tell us how Wright and Davis got on at the Rehab unit last week, how Warren is doing who I saw running last week but seems to play no part in Johnsons plans. He continually tells us how important the fans are then treats us like little children feeding us the odd scrap of historic information to keep us happy. We are at the moment, by circumstance are a team of midfielders with the odd additional player actually playing in position, the likes of Little, Evans, Whitfield, Cameron and Nemane and possibly several others who would grace any team in this division will be snapped up at the end of the season by managers who can see their talent and worth and will not run them into the ground as Johnson has. his love affair with the mickey mouse cup has been a total embarrassment and a distraction from the core business of getting back in the league. Promotion whether we accept it or not are over for this season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would agree with most of that although as we are still third promotion isn't realistically over.

I don't think that there would be many teams rushing to sign Little who was a complete liability last night. In fact Johnsons obsession with playing him seems to be costing us at the moment. I agree though he did front up - his team selection was dire last night. Playing Randell at full back when he had signed the Plymouth lad, then didn't play him was nonsensical.

Randell in defence didn't work on Saturday. Boden and Waters didn't work on Saturday. Yet he still repeated the same mistakes last night. It was only when the substitutes came on that we started looking like a team but Macdonalds ludicrous error to concede a corner which ulyimately led to the third goal and it was goodnight Vienna.

The withdrawal of Little and Hall ultimately improved things and at least Umerah looked like a centre forward. We finished the game with some mobility rather than looking like a team of carthorses.

This secrecy over injured players and treating the fans like a bunch of morons is annoying. Is Warren running - then why isn't he playing? Presumably Sheaf and Street have returned to their parent clubs so why keep it secret? Yet Suttons new loanee again score the winner again last night - that's 6 points in two games he's got them.

We seemed to have morphed into a basket case.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree Brucie that Little is a shadow of the player he was, but a good player with talent does not go bad overnight, has he had one serious inquiry too many, very possibly, there is no tiger tackling , end to end running, the vision to see the killer pass, or shooting at ever opportunity that he was renowned for. I do not understand Johnson persevering with him when you think Evans has played in every position other than one he is best qualified for in central midfield.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

What a pathetic gutless performance that was. I turned off the stream after the fourth goal. I wish it meant as much to the players as it does to the fans. It may hurt GJ but not as much as us, it can't do when you move from club to club. Having said surely we can make 70 points for the playoffs I'm not so sure now, 25 points from 16 games after the Dover deduction seems unlikely
I am not expecting much from the returning from injury players if Little and Wynter are anything to go by, slow , casual and sloppy with their passing and awareness, need to sharpen up. Again lots of pretty passing last night but no end product and how many shots on target ? Can only see another defeat on Saturday. Hope Koszela plays, but I doubt it , he can't be any worse
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I did not watch the stream last night and the result was very disappointing but not a complete surprise.

I am going to look for positives. Firstly this was the FIRST match this season we have lost by more than one goal. Prior to last night we had only lost away TWICE at Eastleigh and Yeovil. On the road 8 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats. 27 out of 42 points. Amazing.

We are on a very bad run. 10 points from 33 after a great start when we earned 38 points from a possible 48 up to 31st December.

We all know without Kyle Cameron and Aaron Nemane and Danny Wright we are less effective but football is as much about desire as it is quality.

If Gary can persuade the team to put our opponents under pressure on Saturday and hunt in packs when we lose possession like we did before Christmas then we can get back to winning ways. It is up to the players. Do they REALLY want to win? Most of them are good enough but they need to prove it.

Play like at Solihull and Kings Lynn should be beatable after a very hard battle last night against Hartlepool. COYY.