Exeter

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Exeter

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Really wanted to take the piss out of Exeter today,,, ex Torquay manager,,, main player for Northampton born in Torquay ect ect ect but I’m struggling here.

I was really disappointed in them! They just didn’t turn up couldn’t believe what I was seeing. And what the feck was Moxey on? He needed double drug testing. I was shocked at how poor they were for a team that’s been up there all season! Manager? He might as well have stayed at home. Easy to be critical afterwards but if they’d shown 10% of the spirit they showed in THAT unmentionable semi final game against us theyd have matched the cobblers at least.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

I live in Exeter, indeed I am a neighbour of one of their players, and a lot of people I know are City supporters. I don’t think they really thought they were going to get promoted and indeed if they had their financial restraints would have severely hampered them. They are now stating that quite a few players are out of contract and can’t afford to offer them deals relying on youngsters coming through ( have to say their record on this is quite good though!).
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them struggle next season. I just hope that the apparent enthusiasm of Gary Johnson is merited and we can give it a real go next season. Perhaps we can pick up a few quality players from clubs who are struggling?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Living in the north of the county I have many friends and neighbours who support city, while they fully accept their dubious honour of being serial bottlers and always falling at the final hurdle.One subject is far more inportant to them, what has happened to all their money, over the last three seasons they have received over five million pounds in transfer money with further add ons to come. They have invested 75K in Bowman and Ajose who has only played six times this season is on mega wages for a leage two side. Not one of the supporters can get a straight answer, even the Exeter trust is reluctant to give straight answers. Their new stand was funded by a combination of finance form the football trust and Exeter university so no great outlay there.They have a premiership training facility with league two football,again horse before the cart, similar to us, we built a stand that we cannot fill at our level whereas if the money had been spent on players we would undoubtedly been at a higher level and definetlely been able to fill it.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

The aspect which worried me was how, at the level above us, Northampton dominated Exeter with their bigger and stronger players - City just couldn't cope with high balls - and it reinforced a feeling that we desperately need to recruit such attackers and defenders so that our youngsters and smaller stature players don't get continually beaten in the air, and so that we can create both a variety of goal-scoring chances and better defensive qualities; currently we will have to play only on the ground as we have no-one who is going to score with a header, and need a decisive goalkeeper to control his penalty area.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whilst I have never particularly had anything against Exeter personally I can't stand them now and the Radio Devon screaming oinks who commentate on them. Andrew Barge, John Ayres and that ridiculous woman who is actually hopeless.

Always used to be all Plymouth but now its BBC Radio Exeter. Exetaaaaaa Sityaaaaaa every time they score a goal. Pissed myself that they got stuffed by Northampton.

Thought Northampton would win actually - Bowman and Fisher didn't look like the dream partnership - in fact Fisher was one of the worst players I have seen in fifty years at Plainmoor. How he made some sort of success of himself when he left here is beyond me. With the likes of Morton and a couple of others Northampton looked more of a progressive team so no real surprise they won.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

PL21gull.You have hit the nail on the head, last season such as it was, showed how uncomptetitive and bullied we were on too many occasions, not a lack of talent because I thought in the national not many teams could out do us in terms of skill, but we were beaten up far too easily, our midfield while gifted would blow over in a gale, our centre halfs were being coached in ball playing techniques when then should have been coached in second row rugby union controlled aggression.You have to play this league appropriately and whereas the likes of Buse ,nemane would be okay in the christmas panto as walk on dwarfs no matter how good ,some may think they are ,they cannot compete against a 6 foot 4 inch opposition player, I excuse Little from this as although he cannot be considered large he has natural aggression and brains enough to offload before the gorillas take him out.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

They have just released the 8 out of contract players, one of whom is Gary Warren. I wonder if he would come to us as I think most of us would agree he seemed to have a ‘Calming’ effect on our team when he was with us. Also maybe one of the others is worth a punt? If indeed we have the cash available that Exeter seem not to have.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Absolutely hilarious that performance. Even the cardboard cutouts left at 3 😆.
Warren should sign for us and of the rest maybe Lee Holmes.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Think Holmes is past his sell by date and Warren's getting on as well and hasn't played for anybody bar us last year. Prefer Aaron Martin
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Have just been told on good authority that Gary Warren has signed for us which is why he did not feature in the playoffs games for Exeter!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

DWB wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 15:06 Have just been told on good authority that Gary Warren has signed for us which is why he did not feature in the playoffs games for Exeter!
Whether he has signed for us or not it had absolutely nothing to do with why he didn't play at Wembley. The fact that he only played 1 minute of league football for them last season (and that was in the first match back in August) would suggest he wasn't anywhere near being in their side.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

He was not in the squad to limit any chance of injury which may have jeopardized any potential move
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

DWB wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 17:57 He was not in the squad to limit any chance of injury which may have jeopardized any potential move
Guess they wanted to limit any chance of injury for the previous 10 months as well?

Not denying your sources accuracy as regards his signing for us, but he has been nowhere near their squad for the entire season so the notion that he was only left out at Wembley to protect him before a move to Plainmoor is clearly nonsense.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes ridiculous - mind you he would make a good signing for us hasn't played any football for a year bar a couple of games with us.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Anyone who saw Warren's games on loan for us cannot have failed to be impressed.
An experienced centre back alongside Cameron is what we need in my opinion.
No doubt some will be moaning that he hasn't got any pace !