DAVID THOMAS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

DAVID THOMAS

Post by dawlishmatt »

I see that David Thomas has left the Herald Express after over 45 years of covering our beloved club. Dave was an essential part of keeping the readers of the paper updated on the comings and goings at plainmoor.
I remember as a kid, looking forward to reading his articles every afternoon and the back page was always the first page I turned to.
Have a happy retirement David and thanks for keeping us in touch with the club, when the herald express and Argyle, oops I mean Sunday independent were are only source of information.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You'll find DT reporting on Torquay United from around April in the soon - to - be launched The Torbay Weekly, a free paper and online.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:26 I see that David Thomas has left the Herald Express after over 45 years of covering our beloved club. Dave was an essential part of keeping the readers of the paper updated on the comings and goings at plainmoor.
I remember as a kid, looking forward to reading his articles every afternoon and the back page was always the first page I turned to.
Have a happy retirement David and thanks for keeping us in touch with the club, when the herald express and Argyle, oops I mean Sunday independent were are only source of information.
Good post, Dawlishmatt. Thank you, David T for the many years of reporting the ups and downs and downs of our beloved team, and enjoy your retirement. Keep busy!

Young whippersnappers on here with instant reports on their phones and Forums such as this will find it hard to believe there was a time when the main source of information (match reports, new players arriving and players leaving) was the Herald Express - remember how we waited in the Paper Shops on Saturday nights for the football issue to arrive at about 6.30pm? This was pre-computers. However they did it so soon after matches, goodness knows.

In my opinion, Dave Thomas has always reported fairly on TUFC as he sees it. I haven't always agreed with his reporting, but then us football fans don't always agree, do we??? I think he has given Clarke Osborne an easy ride, but on the other hand, where would the club be without Osborne's reported £2.5 million? However, I don't think he will be receiving a 'Happy Retirement' card from Wes Saunders .......... :whistle:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Retirement? I think you'll find he's been transferred to the new paper.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

tomogull I too well remember waiting for "the Pink Paper" to come out on Saturday Evening with the Match Report.
I assume it was printed on pink paper to distinguish it from the normal HE printed in those days 6 days a week.
How times change.
higgi1p
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by higgi1p »

Effectively reintroducing the Torquay Times from years ago in another name
Godalming Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Godalming Gull »

I wish David a really great ‘retirement’. As one of the many supporters who live away from Plainmoor, his coverage of all that us Yellow has been fantastic and in recent years the podcast with Guy has been a constant entertainment for a Thursday evening! Thanks so much.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Not retiring.
Godalming Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Godalming Gull »

Hence the apostrophes on ‘retirement’....
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Yeah, ‘right’.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Considering his length of service with the HE the tiny article on his retirement tucked away in a corner of the inside back page was pathetic.

Well done Dave and I trust that you will soon be up and running again elsewhere.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

portugull wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:45 tomogull I too well remember waiting for "the Pink Paper" to come out on Saturday Evening with the Match Report.
I assume it was printed on pink paper to distinguish it from the normal HE printed in those days 6 days a week.
How times change.
Don't forget 'Snip' Cornish coming along the Pop side half way through the second half with the late edition containing all the half times in the stop press column.

"Snow in Newton Abbot" was his plaintiff cry.

I can also remember queueing at Barton post office for the football final to arrive. A HE van would then turn up and the allocation would almost literally be thrown out of the passenger door as the van raced off to its next call. The papers would then be rushed inside to the counter when a flurry of activity would ensue. The match report would always be done to tight timescale with a fullish report on the first half and with a briefer and briefer record of events in the second half. If a goal was scored near the end it would be reported as a one liner.

What I also liked about it was the writings of Brian Carter as he so lyrically described local football matches deep in the South Devon.

Happy days.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

The same guy I think used to sell the HE while walking through Princess Gardens in mid Summer shouting the headline,Dead man found in coffin.