Next Season.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Next Season.

Post by dawlishmatt »

As per last season, Gary Johnson is already looking ahead to the squad he wants for next season, 20/21.
As things are quiet at the moment, I would like to ask members of this forum which players the manager should re-sign and why.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Am I right in thinking that Little, Andrews and Slough are all singed until end of next season (20/21)? Any others?
Would love Whitfield to sign on.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We really need three quarters of the spine of the team strengthened. Keeper, Central defender, target man. Decent midfielders have been great to watch and I'm happy to keep hold of as many of them as possible. Signing Reid is a must. Cameron is young and will improve if we keep hold of Warren but I'd like another strong central defender. Happy with Davis and Wynter. Nothing to choose between the keepers so either one but definitely as Number 2. Whoever else the manager needs to fill the squad. out is fine by me. We're not a million miles from being good enough to get out of this division and regaining our League status. Whether everyone remains happy enough to see this through is another subject though.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I would agree with that. Of the starting eleven on Saturday 6 were loan players, not ideal in my view. Reid, Cameron , Little and Hall should be re- signed. I hope Vincent can be signed on a permanent deal too.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Johnsons so called prove you deserve a new contract motivational speech can only work in a very few circumstances and undoubtedly only with the younger players, the so called seasoned pros have heard it all before and in reality its the players agent who holds the power not the manager. In any event if Reid and Cameron have stinkers for the rest of the season is he seriously trying to convince us he will release them.
I agree with previous contributors , we need a goalie, certainly keep Warren if he becomes available, his experience and maturity is something we have been crying out for all season, we need a big ,strong,tough midfielder who can anchor the centre and allow Little and Andrews to be creative and most of all we need an out and out striker, not one that Johnson imagines he can convert into that position.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I forgot Whitfield - how could I - Player of the Season I think
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Keep Macdonald for the bench although probably would rather go elsewhere. Although he probably won’t get Full time football anymore bring in an experienced Goal Keeper

Defenders
Wynter, Sign Warren permanently, Bring in another experience CB to partner Him. Potentially keep Cameron for the bench. Davis. Slough I would personally resign and send him out on loan to the South, not going to improve in the youth. Needs men’s football.

Send Cundy back to Bristol. Longridge Id like to keep but there is no way we can keep him & Davis both happy.

Midfielders
Andrews, Little, Bring in a new Cm/Cam role to play next to him. Whitfield on the other wing.

Kalala, Nemane, Hall id release. If we need to push on for promotion None of them should be in our plans

Strikers
Reid is the one I’d sign immediately, Olaf same as slough, resign and send him out on loan to get men’s experience. Bring in an experienced striker to partner Reid.

Lewington, I think this is a level to high for him, probably returns to Tiverton
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

desperado wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 16:42 I would agree with that. Of the starting eleven on Saturday 6 were loan players, not ideal in my view. Reid, Cameron , Little and Hall should be re- signed. I hope Vincent can be signed on a permanent deal too.
Hope that wasn’t the case as if it was we would have broken League rules - only a maximum of FIVE loan players in any team’s matchday squad is permissible. By my reckoning, we only had FOUR - Lewis, Warren, Longridge and Lemonheigh-Evans. Although when Cundy is fit and available we will be up to the max if he is included.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Next season - in view of the continuing alarming losses, admission prices will have to be increased. You have to ask how a club like Barrow is managing to survive and be top of the league?

Much depends on what budget Gary Johnson is allowed, but an experienced 'keeper, central defender and striker to partner Jamie Reid have to be a 'must'. It would be great if Conor Lemonheigh-Evans became available, but I doubt that very much. Frankie Vincent would be a good addition to the squad if he became available. I basically agree with Hammdog, except I would offer contracts to Nemane and Hall. Nemane seems to be improving with each game and could prove to be a very good signing, and although Asa is knocking on a bit, he's still good enough. That leaves Kalala. If only he could add better decision making and consistency to his game, what a player he would be ...... if only.

The thing is - and we've seen it season after season - players are released and new players brought in who in most cases are no better than the players who have left, although Armani Little and Ben Whitfield have strengthened the team this season. It's the dilemma GJ has to face, and he's well paid to do so.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

Personally, with Keating, Niate and Dickson gone, I don’t think we need to release too many more.I do think one of the keepers should go, so that a new, more experienced number 1 is brought in in the summer. I would keep the rest of our defence that is under contract - Wynter, Davis, Cameron and Slough. Likewise in midfield, I would keep Andrews, Hall, Little, Kalala, Whitfield and Buse but would reserve judgment on Nemane at the moment. Up front, keep Reid and Koszela but reserve judgment on Lewington. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that this squad (when fully fit) got us to within two points of the summit a couple of months back - like SG says, we just need to strengthen the spine - with more muscularity and more experience - if we can do that we wouldn’t be far off, in my opinion.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

You are correct as usual CP, I forgot Cundy wasn't playing and Nemane is not a loan and that 5 is the maximum.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Keep Shaun MacDonald as a number two, look for a senior experienced keeper who can be first choice and mentor MacDonald.
Keep Ben Wynter, Liam Davis (assuming he can prove his fitness) and Kyle Cameron. Try to sign Warren permanently and Joe Lewis on loan again. Try and get Longridge back on loan again too.
Keep Hall, Buse, Little, Andrews.
Keep Whitfield and Kalala
Keep Jamie Reid
Keep Slough, Koszela and Lewington and continue their development.

Lemonhaigh-Evans seems to have stalled of late, would be happy to see him back, maybe permanently if he can rediscover his form between now and the end of the season.
Let Covolan go. Age is not on his side and he just isn't good enough for a promotion chasing side.
Let Nemane go. I don't think we can carry him and Kalala and I think on his day Kalala does more.
Let Cundy go. He has potential but needs more work and we can't afford to be the team to do that if we are chasing promotion.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

At this moment in time I would be quite happy if we are in the National League next season. Let's hope people saying only 3 going down will be what is going to happen.
Otherwise 5 points off the bottom 4 , we can't afford a defeat at Wrexham
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 17:58 Let's hope people saying only 3 going down will be what is going to happen.
Since only one club will be relegated from the EFL, there are only three ways the NLP can maintain its numbers:
1) only demote three teams at end of season.
2) only promote one team at end of season, ie scrap play offs
3) promote extra team from NLS or NLN.

Since option 2 would probably lead to legal challenges and mean the Conference loses its day out at Wembley I very much doubt that will happen.
Option 3 would mean the aggro of arranging an extra two leg fixture between the two sides concerned and would be giving two losers from NLN\S play off final a second bite of the cherry.
So given all that option 1 is the most likely scenario, UNLESS the Conference decide to admit Bury FC and I haven't heard any suggestion of that happening.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Back in Nov three points off the league leaders it is clear we were punching above our weight. The squad have done reasonably well in a tough division, but it is fairly clear the current squad is not promotion material. Hence why I am going to be ruthless in my choices:

Keep; Wynter, Davis, Little, Reid, Whitfield.
Extend-Loans: Lemonhaigh-Evans, Vincent, Warren,

Release: Hall, Buse, Andrews, Covolan, MacDonald, Lewington, Nemane, Cameron,

End loans: Lewis, Cundy, Longridge, Edwards

Loan out: Slough, Koszela

Undecided: Kalala - so much natural talent just needs to be taught how to play the game of football. Could keep one of the goalies as second choice.

Whilst the above will not meet the approval of many and probley won't happen, something drastic will have to occur next season if the squad is to 'step up to the plate' and become promotional material rather than a team making up the league in mid-table.