Torquay United v Ebbsfleet United 25/1/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay United v Ebbsfleet United 25/1/20

Post by lucy6lucy »

It’s probably no coincidence that the injury crisis we have had, has nearly ended resulting in a mammoth win last weekend at flyde. We should be rocking and ready to go today against an Ebbsfleet team lacking any confidence. I’m sorry to see Keating depart as he always gave it his best, but his end product was probably the reason he is now at Gateshead. He will do well in NLN. I salute him for his first ever Torquay goal that resulted in an injury time winner against Southport under Nicholson, that probably gave us the momentum to stay up that season.
On to the match I see this being 3-0 Torquay. COYY
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

117 goals conceded between the two teams so far this season - so 5-3 to us.
Love to be proved wrong but can't see a clean sheet even with Warren and Longridge improving the defence. Interesting to see Gary's comments about formations and how he will continue to change depending on the opposition strengths and weaknesses.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I predict 4-1 to United who will go into this game with a better defence since the arrival of Gary Warren and Jackson Longridge.

The pitch should have recovered after a dry week and this is a chance continue our improved form although next Saturday at Barrow will be a huge test.

COYY
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Anybody know anything about the new striker that GJ said should be completed today (that was Thursday?) during his interview?
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Not a done thing yet, and more and more other clubs interested.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 11:43 Interesting to see Gary's comments about formations and how he will continue to change depending on the opposition strengths and weaknesses.
Yes, I picked up on those comment. At least not just the 'one trick pony' 'Owers' formation of 5-3-2
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Chosen Men.....

28Covolan Cauagnari
6Lewis
22Longridge
20Kalala
25Cundy
24Warren
8Hall
30Nemane
34Whitfield
17Lemonheigh-Evans
19Reid

Substitutes
1MacDonald
4Cameron
10Little
11Andrews
29Lewington
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Awful game. Very few chances. Inept referee. Pity Ebbsfleet fans who watch that every week. Sadly Evans, Whitfield and Kalala were all below par in the same game. Little service for Reid. Whitfield missed a free header at the back post at end of first half. Reid blatantly held back near the end, ref played 'advantage' when the clear opportunity had been denied.
High point was the chap hitting the Crossbar twice at half time.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Crap game,crap performance,crap officials
apart from that!!!
not good enough Mr Johnson who looked as bored as the rest of us
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Having re-read my initial post, apologies as I may have made it seen more exciting than it actually was.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

A game to forget. Disappointing that we are playing at home against a poor side struggling and GJ selects a 4-1-4-1 formation with Asa sweeping in front of the back 4. Even Ebbsfleet set up more offensively 4-4-2. It took 80 odd minutes before Hall was replaced and the formation changed. By that time Ebbsfleet were going for it with 3 up top.
Why are we playing so defensive at home. The back 4 were solid enough.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

I echo the above, a truly dire game to watch. Ebbsfleet came to spoil and certainly did that. We had no creativity or immagination. A game of a couple of half chances.
Evans was particularly poor today and Whitfield not much better. Little lacked match sharpness which is to be expected.
Reid was totally isolated and he needs a big physical partner to feed off. Couldn't see the point in giving Lewington only 3 or 4 minutes.
In the end we deserved no more than a point. Perhaps lucky to get that because they should have had a clear penalty. Referee was inept.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I have just discovered a cast iron method of taking five hundred off the crowd at the next home game, its simple really, play like we did today, we were inept, it was just as well that Ebbsfleet were woeful. from the first attack it was obvious that Kalala had the beating of their defenders down the right, so what do we do , spend most of the time playing down the left where Whitfield did not have the pace to beat any of their defenders. Reid who I sometimes criticise for his attitude was good today and will undoubtedly have many bruises for his encounters with their central defenders, shame he had no support, back four were solid , It seemed we couldn't find each other today and the more I see of Nemane the less I think he is a footballer, I would not be surprised to learn we signed him believing him to be someone of the same name who was a footballer but actually our one worked at Tesco's. I was surprised he lasted to halftime. We play like that at Barrow and they will slaughter us.
Mojo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mojo »

Absolutely awful game of "football". We could still be playing now and neither team would have scored. The only highlights were the crossbar challenge at half time and the referee falling on his backside.