League 2: Northampton Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm not interested in your bone of contention, this is a matchday thread for our fans and my post was directed at the person who I quoted. If you really want a long drawn out debate then use the Banter section to continue your futile ramblings.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Seen the Northampton goals, can't argue about the strike from Bauza, quality finish.

Got to look towards Saturday now & hopefully Lincoln will be tired from a trip to Port Vale on Tuesday. Strong chance of another 3 points should we play to our strengths & another week spent in the playoff zone.

Wouldn't want to be in AC Borehampton's shoes - lovely away trip to Accrington. Relegation looming TeJay..... ;-)
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Shaunicus I don't think we have a chip on our shoulder. We're a small club and probably always will be, doesn't bother me. My main issue is being constantly put down and the insinuation that Torquay don't deserve to be where they are or have the chance to go up a division because they're bigger than we are.
At first it was funny, we played along with it some went over and had a bit of banter (some better at it than others) but now we're being accused of thinking we're a big club on their forum and of cheating our way to where we are.

Sod em. Whatever position we end up in we'll have earned, just like they've earned their place. Being a small club doesn't mean we should resign ourselves to propping up the football league for the rest of our existence. Reminds me of when Adrian Durham said that Burnley shouldn't have been allowed to be promoted into the Premiership because they weren't a big enough club. Makes you wonder why the hell the small clubs should bother. If you're at the bottom then you're in your rightful place but if you dare succeed then you're just a small club who got lucky, fluked it and will be back where you belong in no time.

Northampton fans will probably be lording it over us again next season, but this season we've been the better club so far along with 19 others.

We know our place, maybe it's time they accepted that their place for now is alongside us.

Time to get over it now and see how the rest of the season pans out, a point is a point. Every club has a bad ref every now and again, the commentators said they had their fair share of dodgy decisions too it's just that ours led to goals. The lads get some rest and then hopefully they'll be back to their best against Lincoln and picking up the points. :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Boom Boom wrote:Seen the Northampton goals, can't argue about the strike from Bauza, quality finish.

Got to look towards Saturday now & hopefully Lincoln will be tired from a trip to Port Vale on Tuesday. Strong chance of another 3 points should we play to our strengths & another week spent in the playoff zone.

Wouldn't want to be in AC Borehampton's shoes - lovely away trip to Accrington. Relegation looming TeJay..... ;-)
I can, their number 9 was offside when the free kick was taken.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Dearest Emily,

Will you marry me?

Matt.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

:lol:
I shall have to respectfully decline Matt =D
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I despise these clubs that give it the whole "We are too big to be where we are". Southampton & Leeds are too big examples of that. You are where you are because at the time that's how well your team / club were performing.

The ref on Friday was indeed cr@p, the FA need to clamp down on such rubbish refereeing. What made me laugh was the Northampton fans were non stop about how SH!T the ref was, but as soon as we started singing "You don't know what you're doing" they laughed at as? Make your minds up you bunch of shoe repair men, you either think the ref is rubbish or he is not. You even boo him off the pitch, even though he gave you your 2nd goal PMSL.

I use to have a soft spot for "little" Cobblers due to my inlaws coming from Northampton, but after some of the reactions from their fans I hope you get relegated to the BSP instead of Barnet and learn the lesson that you are not actually as big a club as you make out to be.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

ferrarilover wrote:I can, their number 9 was offside when the free kick was taken.
Matt.
He certainly bloody was and right in front of Bevs blocking his view !!!!!! :@
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Branston interview. He is not a happy chappy!

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... _1_2541927
A Cobbler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by A Cobbler »

Hi Torquay fans. A passing Cobbler here.

Let's face it. We're both small, shit clubs who occasionally have a glorious season every 5/10 years. Sometimes we are better than you. Somtimes you are better than us. This season is the latter. So why are we arguing over who is bigger or better? And what is more, why are some fans (in both sets I add!) taking a bit of banter so personally? I'm pretty sure I read some guy wish us relegation because his drum wasn't allowed in the ground!

Every group of fans have idiots, but this whole thing is utterly futile and makes us all look like mongs.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

From the supporter of a team that this season is slightly more shitter than yours.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Our list of gripes appears to be growing by the day. It now seems that it was a foul on Robbo which lead to their free kick. Jesus referee, you're either the worst referee in England, or a cheat, which is it?

Matt.

A Cobbler, I think you'll find that you're shit and we're doing rather well, see here for confirmation >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Hmm. quite a read, that lot, not helped by page after page of bickering. I don't have the interweb at home, so here are a few reflections, on what was, taken for all in all, a helluva night out!

Firstly, it was interesting to see who WASNT on the coach when it eventually arrived; Branno, Robinson.. presumably making their own way and living locally to Northampton.
Clambering up an embankment with all the kit and match day shizzle can't have helped any more than the delay!
£19 for visitors; £18 for home fans. Speechless with rage on principle.
My original thread about it being played on a bloody Friday at all seems slightly vindicated by the clusterf^ck of the travel arrangements.
Our fans... lots of us, but a bit quiet compared to the bear-bating of Fat Akky last season, and God knows that Buezza or whatever his name is deserved more stick for his theatricals?
Tomlin. Dreadful. Hope it's just an off day.
Robbo: KEEP YOUR ARMS DOWN, you CLOWN!!
Mans: immense
Billy Kee's goal: a sweeter strike of a ball you will not see.
Buck's subs: NO! How can we know who to pick up in the nanosecond afforded them after coming on?
Branno; give up haranguing the ref, especially after the final whistle. I mean, he's hardly likely to say "Gosh, really Mr. Branston, I do believe you are right, let's jolly well put 2-1 to you on the score sheet then, what what..."
Finally... that black kit... I'm not sure about it....The players seemed to disappear in the gloom against the dark background.. There's no reason not wear the yellow, surely they can pick each other out better?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
bigcitylights
Trialist
Trialist

Post by bigcitylights »

usagullmichigan wrote:I lived in Northampton in 2000 near the Charles Bradlaugh/Chronicle and echo? and I went to a few Cobblers games and then they were in the league above us when Carlo Corrzzan was there never got above 3000 -3500 in the stadium. Nice town though good pubs. Good times in the Market square.
Passing Cobblers fan here and couldn't let this comment go. Thanks for your kind words about the town but If you're going to bullshit about the crowds, please try and do so convincingly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.marve ... DANCES.htm

1999-2000 average: 5,187
2000-2001 average: 5,511

As far as I am aware we've only had 2 or 3 sub 3,500 league attendances since moving to Sixfields in 1994.
A Cobbler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by A Cobbler »

ferrarilover wrote:Our list of gripes appears to be growing by the day. It now seems that it was a foul on Robbo which lead to their free kick. Jesus referee, you're either the worst referee in England, or a cheat, which is it?

Matt.

A Cobbler, I think you'll find that you're sh*t and we're doing rather well, see here for confirmation >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm
I love how you completely ignored the post that surrounded it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

bigcitylights wrote: Passing Cobblers fan here and couldn't let this comment go. Thanks for your kind words about the town but If you're going to bullshit about the crowds, please try and do so convincingly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.marve ... DANCES.htm

1999-2000 average: 5,187
2000-2001 average: 5,511

As far as I am aware we've only had 2 or 3 sub 3,500 league attendances since moving to Sixfields in 1994.
Fascinating. Remind me, how are you doing this season?

Matt.