Clarke Osborne

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Clarke Osborne

Post by dawlishmatt »

Following the clubs AGM a few weeks ago, uncle Clarke said that moving away from plainmoor into a new stadium was no longer his top priority. Building the youth set up is now his no 1 aim.
As we all know, Osborne has pumped millions into the club and the supporters are now seeing the rewards of his considerable investment. Last Saturday was in my opinion the best performance of the season and marked us down as serious promotion candidates.
Against Halifax on Saturday I thought that Jamie Reid was outstanding ( yes I know I previously questioned if he was good enough for this league). The only way Clarke Osborne can recoup some of his investment is by selling some of the clubs assets. Torquay now have an asset, Jamie Reid and as we all know, in a few weeks the transfer window will open. I expect a lot of clubs will be interested in Jamie Reid and I imagine that a figure we'll in excess of £ 100,000 will be offered for Reid. I think that if the club announce that Reid is not for sale at any price then that would show a real statement of intent from Clarke Osborne. Time will tell.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if another club came in for Reid. But it all depends on what Reid's contract says. If there is a release clause activated by an offer above a set minimum then it is up to Reid whether he stays or goes.
Wasn't Reid on of the last of the squad to sign a new contract last season? That says to me he is open to offers.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Funny that this thread began today, which is just as much about Jamie Reid as it is about Clarke Osborne. Look what's just popped up eleswhere online:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... er-window/
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Part of the article States :

Given Reid’s height and aerial prowess, the striker could prove to be an ideal candidate to partner Collins in the Luton frontline, with Town boss Graeme Jones favouring a largely direct style of play this season.

Don’t think this is Jamie’s strength?!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

budegull1954 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:51 Funny that this thread began today, which is just as much about Jamie Reid as it is about Clarke Osborne. Look what's just popped up eleswhere online:

"Given Reid’s height and aerial prowess, the striker could prove to be an ideal candidate to partner Collins in the Luton frontline, with Town boss Graeme Jones favouring a largely direct style of play this season."

So not suited to Reid at all then.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Sounds more like a description of Rhead who just left Billericay haha. I'm sure GJ has warned George Edwards about what may be coming in the form of offers for the star player at the minute. I imagine GJ has been in this position countless times. I know money talks but if the goals is to get in the football league then selling one of the main weapons in your armoury is not going to help the cause. Only time will tell...
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I am sure there will be interest in Reid - he is scoring too many goals for there not to be. There will also be several clickbait sites that just fill content with top scorer in non-league linked with move to [insert club] without knowing anything about anything. At the end of the season he'll be available on a free transfer, with 20-30 goals at the top of non-league and will surely get a great move & signing on fee for himself on the back of that. That should be the goal for both him and the club - keep the squad together, keep the run going and there is a real chance of promotion this season. That is worth more to us than say a £100k fee in January, and he'll have more (and better) offers in the summer when he's available for free and is marketed as a 30-goal striker (at current rate) from the NL.

For where he was two years ago and having signed for nothing, if he shoots us to a promotion (or two), scores goals and gives us great memories then you can’t complain about him leaving on a free. He could be in the club’s top 10 scorers of all time by the end of the season.

On a semi-related note, it would be nice to see GJ do as we did last January and look to retain those we definitely want here next season on longer deals, starting with Kalala just on the basis of where his potential ceiling is.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 10:58 I expect a lot of clubs will be interested in Jamie Reid and I imagine that a figure we'll in excess of £ 100,000 will be offered for Reid. l.
Given that Uncle Clarke's business acumen is to get Torquay back into the league to give him a 'hope in hell's chance' of off-loading the club to recoup his investment, he will be business savvy enough to know that off-loading one of our prime assets to getting us back in the league is to say the least illogical. So if consideration is given to letting Reid go the figure really will have to be well in excess of £100,000. This may include caveats in the transfer such as £xxx for games played, £xxx for promotion, £xxx amount for transfer onwards fee etc. The other question is who would we replace him with - Duka?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

In the current market I would value Jamie Reid at £300,000 plus - proven goalscorers are at a premium in any level of football.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Gary Johnson has said as much in one of his interviews where he would be disappointed if there wasn’t interest in Jamie in January. I know we are going totally off thread on this but G.J signed Duku and has worked with him before, so he must rate him, is he another Jamie Read waiting to come out? Remembering how some people were slating Jamie not so long ago. He is certainly quick (when he wants to be) so maybe there is a player in there just waiting to come out!!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

All I can say is be careful what you wish for Jamie.
The grass isn't always greener & in GJ you have the perfect manager at this time in your career.
Two examples of good & bad decision making from players is
1, Ben Whitfield, totally ostracized by his previous manager & now reaping the benefits in having someone to look after him properly, whether it be a kick up the arse or an arm around the shoulder.
2, Mark Loram, an absolute genius at TUFC but when the bright lights of London came calling was found wanting & couldn't hack it & his football suffered as a result until he came back home & then carried on where he left off .
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

No doubt if he was an Exeter player still they would get something ridiculous in the region of £500,000 plus, what was it they got for Jayden Stockley £750,000 ? Hasn't scored a goal for Preston yet this season, whereas we would get £100,000 - in annual installments plus a bit more for goals and appearances if we were lucky. Reject any offers George, you know it makes sense !
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

budegull1954 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:51 Funny that this thread began today, which is just as much about Jamie Reid as it is about Clarke Osborne. Look what's just popped up eleswhere online:

Wouldn’t believe a site that reckons he’s a target man with aerial prowess... they clearly haven’t done their research and doesn’t give the impression it’s a particularly reputable source.

We shouldn’t be selling Reidy for any price in January if our form continues the way it has been recently until then - he’s our talisman and so important for us at having a shot at promotion this year. As others have said, stay for the season and take us up and then review offers. We’ve got such a good group at the moment under such a good manager and we need to keep them all together for as long as possible.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gulliball wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 13:57 At the end of the season he'll be available on a free transfer
Is this for certain? I don't remember seeing the length of contract he signed at the end of last year so might he still have another year to run after this one?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

More on the Luton Town interest - love the bit about comparing Jamie Reidto Segio Aguero. Is this a new form of 'tapping up'?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/lowdo ... er-target/