Bolton and Bury

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Bolton and Bury

Post by Midlandgull »

If Bolton and Bury are expelled from the football league ( a travesty and I hope they survive ) what would happen to their places?

Would there be a reprieve for League 1 and 2 clubs with fewer relegation spots? Or would there be a trickle down effect and more promotion spots from lower leagues?
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Don't know for sure but I suspect there would be no relegation from league 2? Like you, I hope both those clubs survive.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Check out BTPIR , all the questions are answered by the font of all knowledge aka Merse.
And not an arrogant comment in sight !!!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I listened to the MP for Bury on the radio this afternoon. A very sad day for football.

Some worrying parallels with our club.

Owners have no interest in football and won’t engage with fans.

Owners have made the club unsaleable.

Successful season on pitch with promotion masked underlying issues.

However a major difference is that our owners do not have the freehold of the ground. Lose that and I very much doubt Torquay United will last another five years. Keep the freehold and if necessary there can be a phoenix club, something that Bury will find much harder without their own ground.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

As others have posted, I too hope that both clubs survive, but it is looking increasingly worrying for Bury especially. Is this the tip of an iceberg, or simply too many clubs in the Manchester area? Another club seemingly in trouble is Macclesfield. Sol Campbell left because he hadn't been paid for two months. I don't know whether or not the players are being paid. However, they've made a good start to the season.
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

Feel for Bury Fc fans at this hard time. I hope they come back stronger than ever. Couldn’t imagine it ever happening to Torquay 😕, TorquayTillIDie
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dutchgull wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 23:44 Bury expelled

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896
Very sad news, the EFL should also be held accountable for this, allowing dale to buy the club for a £1 gimmick price but also 75% of his 50 Previous businesses have been liquidated.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

What a sad day for Bury and particularly their supporters.

I can remember our first ever league meeting with Bury at Plainmoor - Sat 3 Sept 1960 - a 1-1 draw with about 7,000 in attendance. We went on to have many more tussles with Bury over the years - none more memorable than 16 March 1968 Div 3 - Torquay United 3 Bury 0 - attendance 10,693. A top of the table clash played in front of 'Match of the Day' cameras and was the featured main match.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 01:46 What a sad day for Bury and particularly their supporters.

I can remember our first ever league meeting with Bury at Plainmoor - Sat 3 Sept 1960 - a 1-1 draw with about 7,000 in attendance. We went on to have many more tussles with Bury over the years - none more memorable than 16 March 1968 Div 3 - Torquay United 3 Bury 0 - attendance 10,693. A top of the table clash played in front of 'Match of the Day' cameras and was the featured main match.
Sadly I wasn’t even born then, but my last visit to Gigg lane was a 3-0 win to us, we where safe from relegation, had a clean sheet record to deal with, Scott Randell was the saviour and Torquay fans doing the Congo in the away end, and the bury manager was Alan Knill, the unexpected win by torquay denied bury a playoff place.
Lucy
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 01:39 Very sad news, the EFL should also be held accountable for this, allowing dale to buy the club for a £1 gimmick price but also 75% of his 50 Previous businesses have been liquidated.
The damage had been done long before Dale turned up. The previous owners had borrowed £1 million secured against the freehold of Gigg Lane at a high interest rate.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Still only two Clubs to be promoted from the National League.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 08:00 Still only two Clubs to be promoted from the National League.
Yep, the EFL look after their own - then sh1t on them from a great height.
Cant believe it re Bury and feel for all the fans, used to love going there - I too remember the 3-0 win when we looked like Barcelona! :)
As usual the EFL have double standards - dont give them another chance but have done with Bolton.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 08:30
Yep, the EFL look after their own - then sh1t on them from a great height.
Fact is Bury had become financially unviable. What are the EFL supposed to do?
Their promotion last season was achieved through spending money they didn't have, thus giving themselves an unfair advantage over more financially responsible clubs who at least pay their employees on time.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I feel so sorry for the fans of Bury FC at being kicked out of the football league. What gets me angry is that so many football clubs have deliberately got themselves into a financial mess in the pursuit of glory. I can think of many other clubs, Bournemouth is a prime example as are Plymouth and Luton Town. A few seasons ago, Bournemouth were in league 2 having gone into administration and starting the new season on minus 10 or 12 points. In the same season, Luton Town started on minus 15 or 20 points. Somehow Bournemouth stayed up whilst Luton were relegated to the conference. I remember well the Bournemouth situation and in particular reading about one small business going bust as a result of not being paid the £30,000 they were owed by the club. Just a few years later, Bournemouth are doing well in the Premier league, getting £120,000,000 per season in television money and Luton are doing well in the championship.
I remember in the early 1980s attending an emergency open meeting at the Old Torquay technical college where the late Tony Boyce who was then chairman, explained to those present the dire financial position of the club.
Throughout the last 40 years or so, clubs like Torquay have survived by selling some of their assets, namely their best players. As a result Torquay have spent most of this time in the lowest league. When Mike Bateson owned the club, he made sure that we were financially sound and even when we did get promoted, we were relegated the following season because the club could not afford to buy the players needed to progress. Torquay United have always played by the rules and as a result have not had consistent success such as clubs like Bournemouth who have gained 3 promotions in recent years and now find themselves raking in the millions.
I believe that any club that deliberately get into debt and goes into administration should be kicked out of the football league.