Torquay United Vs Dover 17.8.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Torquay United Vs Dover 17.8.19

Post by JSP »

Expecting a win in this one however I can’t see it happening against a strong Dover side. It’s always a tough one visiting Dover and predicting a 1-1 draw.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

JSP wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 21:45 Expecting a win in this one however I can’t see it happening against a strong Dover side. It’s always a tough one visiting Dover and predicting a 1-1 draw.
You expect a win but can’t see it but think a draw. Make you’re bloody mind up ;-) . And we are away as well. 2-0 Dover
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Ah lovely. A trip to beautiful Le Douvre.
Will we win this one? Who knows. Will GJ expect 100%? Of course he will... and he'll get it.
Our young squad is on a very steep learning curve this season, coming up against seasoned pros who know how to look after themselves in this league.
Yes, we've been here before, but not with such a young squad.
If they match the commitment they did at Hayes Lane last week, I can see us coming away from Crabble (no, there is no 'The' before it.... the locals hate it if you call it The Crabble) with at least a point.
Yes, Le Douvre are doing well, sitting 4th (I think), but having witnessed the Angels (who were bottom of NSL) beat Concord (who were top) on Tuesday night, anything is possible.

Le Douvre 1 TQ 2
Att: 1,100 (250 yellow army)
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Before we tackle Dover this coming Sat I would comment that I feel the constant negativity surrounding Jean-Yves Koué Niate is unjust. But then again no one is exempt from criticism. For example Paul Pogba is in many Man Utd supporters 'bad books' after having an inconsistent season last year, yet there are others who think him a good player.

Niate may be short of his best form (which Torquay player isn't!) but least we forget, last season he was an integral part of the side that won the National League South title. So to go from brave new symbol of Gary Johnsons adventurous new Torquay to club disgrace in one moment of aberration is grossly unfair and inaccurate. We play exciting high line football now, so we must accept that mistakes will happen and cost our team goals – as we take risks in playing out from the back. I can't believe anyone wants us to revert back to Owers ''park the bus' system.

It can be said his basic defending skills need to be worked on but Niate is still a work in progress, no doubt about that. He’s an unbelievably strong player, strong in the air, his commitment is wonderful and he does all he can, within his abilities, to help others play.

Least we forget, we are here on this forum because we love our club. So now is a good period to be united and not divided. Historically Torquay has been about that. One of our values is to be together. There's no better period of the season than to show it now.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 01:06

Niate may be short of his best form......

It can be said his basic defending skills need to be worked on but Niate is still a work in progress.......

Precisely why I feel a calmer more experienced and more assured defender is required. I've seen enough of him to know that he has potential but he's very erratic and a nightmare for a keeper low on confidence.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Horses for courses is what's required.
National league premier players for national league football unless we're all happy for us to carry on playing teams off the park but succumbing to the proverbial sucker punch week in week out which in turn leaves us so far behind we end up being sucked into a relegation battle nobody predicted.
Yes were only 4 games in, Oh it's far too early to panic , I hear, Bollocks, it needs addressing now, I'm all for bringing on young talented players but you need that experience on the pitch to guide them through sticky periods during the 90 minutes.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So what do we need exactly? half a dozen 35 year old has beens who won't be able to move when the grounds get heavier?

To suggest that we are in any danger of a relegation battle after 4 games is just nonsense.

We could and should have at least 5 points more than we have already. We might have been poor against Solihull but that should have ended up closer than the scoreline suggests.

Cut out the keeper errors and get a little bit more luck in front of goal and things could turn soon enough. On Tuesday night we could have scored 5 - get a grip.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Typical Terry, sees one game a season and now thinks everything is the keepers fault. With a dominant central defender in front of him his confidence will come back. Probably why Gary Johnson is rumoured to be looking for said experienced central defender......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 13:11 So what do we need exactly? half a dozen 35 year old has beens who won't be able to move when the grounds get heavier?

To suggest that we are in any danger of a relegation battle after 4 games is just nonsense.

We could and should have at least 5 points more than we have already. We might have been poor against Solihull but that should have ended up closer than the scoreline suggests.

Cut out the keeper errors and get a little bit more luck in front of goal and things could turn soon enough. On Tuesday night we could have scored 5 - get a grip.
BUT WE HAVEN'T got those 5 points have we, what a dumb comment to make, and I'm called the idiot in this forum, the league table doesn't lie , and where did I post that we need 6 or so 35 year olds ? Experience comes actually playing at this level, you can be back experienced enough at 26 by regularly being picked for your side, so another dumb comment.
Experience is key & I'd expect GJ to be in negotiations now with someone.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 13:37 Typical Terry, sees one game a season and now thinks everything is the keepers fault. With a dominant central defender in front of him his confidence will come back. Probably why Gary Johnson is rumoured to be looking for said experienced central defender......
Think they are both an issue tbh, if we had better in both positions, Liam Davis playing left back and ideally someone like Janneh up top we'd be a genuine play off contender.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Very interesting to read the comments in this topic. As I pointed out on another topic in this forum, ifs, buts and maybes don't win football matches. Even Gary johnson is at it now in his post match interviews. Jamie Read is an experienced striker, I believe this is his 4TH season at Torquay and has proved in playing at this level he simply isn't good enough. He only scored a handful of goals in his first 2 seasons and scored a bucket load in a very poor league last season. To say in what seems to be every match this season that Read has a shot that goes inches wide of the post, is poor finishing. When any player shoots inches over the bar or past the post is not unlucky, it is poor finishing. If a player consistently has enough chances in a game, and Read has had plenty this season already and consistently misses the target then he's not good enough.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Jesus, Dawlish and Teigngull need to relax. Absolutely crazy to be calling out relegation as a danger and Reid as useless after 4 games. Already scored a worldy, and you can't argue that we should have won the game the other night. just relax and enjoy the ride, we're on the right track.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I really don't understand the panic from some quarters. We're playing without a proper left-back, GJ hasn't settled on his best midfield yet and the Reid/Duku partnership needs a few more minutes under it's belt. Give it another 2/3 games and I am sure we will start firing on all cylinders. If we perform tomorrow like we did on Tuesday with just a little more luck in front of goal then I can see us winning comfortably.

Onwards and upwards!

Prediciton:
2-1 Win. Reid & Duku. 2000 in attendance.

*Oh, and the people booing the team? Well those knuckle draggers can all **** right off.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi mo Gull. I haven't mentioned anything about relegation this season and as you quite rightly say that anyone can judge a season after four games is crazy. I believe that Gary Johnson said he would know where his team is at after 10 games, which I agree is realistic. As regards Jamie Reid, I was just pointing out a fact that he has played 2 seasons in this league previously and last season in a lower league. I'm not sure how many games Reid has actually played for us, this is his fourth season, but having spent two seasons at Torquay in this league, he has struggled.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 14:53 BUT WE HAVEN'T got those 5 points have we, what a dumb comment to make, and [highlight=yellow]I'm called the idiot in this forum[/highlight], the league table doesn't lie , and where did I post that we need 6 or so 35 year olds ? Experience comes actually playing at this level, you can be back experienced enough at 26 by regularly being picked for your side, so another dumb comment.
Experience is key & I'd expect GJ to be in negotiations now with someone.
If the cap fits..... :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468