Torquay United v Borehamwood 3/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay United v Borehamwood 3/8/19

Post by lucy6lucy »

So we are back in the National League after our championship triumph in National Conference South. Personally being in either league is not acceptable, league football has to be the goal, thankfully we have a manager that has the experience and charisma to achieve this goal.
This is a tough test on Saturday as none of us know how these players will perform in a tougher league, but in Johnson we trust, well we have to trust someone. I’m going 3-2 Torquay. 3200 crowd
Lucy
Paigntonfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Paigntonfan »

Jusy hope for any win, onwards and upwards.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I remember our first ever match in what was then the Blue Square League; relegated from the Football League for the first time ever the previous May a considerable amount of cash had been spent on new players, enough, it was thought, to bounce us back to the League Division 4 (sorry, League 2) immediately. Our first game was at home against the almost unknown Grays Athletic. It seemed we would steamroller them; unfortunately this was not the case, we drew 1-1 and the 3000 crowd were brought down to earth with an almighty bump.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

wivelgull wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:17 I remember our first ever match in what was then the Blue Square League; relegated from the Football League for the first time ever the previous May a considerable amount of cash had been spent on new players, enough, it was thought, to bounce us back to the League Division 4 (sorry, League 2) immediately. Our first game was at home against the almost unknown Grays Athletic. It seemed we would steamroller them; unfortunately this was not the case, we drew 1-1 and the 3000 crowd were brought down to earth with an almighty bump.
It was 0-0 , but agree with the rest
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

wivelgull wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:17 I remember our first ever match in what was then the Blue Square League; relegated from the Football League for the first time ever the previous May a considerable amount of cash had been spent on new players, enough, it was thought, to bounce us back to the League Division 4 (sorry, League 2) immediately. Our first game was at home against the almost unknown Grays Athletic. It seemed we would steamroller them; unfortunately this was not the case, we drew 1-1 and the 3000 crowd were brought down to earth with an almighty bump.
No we didn't , we drew 0-0, with a crowd of 4000 +, plus it's was live on telly with an early evening ko & a love affair with Setanta sports was in its infancy in more ways than 1 , isn't that right Bucks ?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As the more sympathetic of the Codgery will understand, one's memory these days isn't what it was. O-O then.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I assume the moral to this non-league story is we can't go back and change the beginning, but we can start where we are and change the ending.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Weather is reasonable Saturday so should be a good home contingent in the ground. Domt forget we have had two friendlies with 2000 home fans in them. Usually against Plymouth there would be a 1000 or so home fans. I know the club are expecting a 3000 + crowd
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Does anybody know how many season tickets have been sold? That would be an indicator of what we could expect.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Not sure about anyone else but as it stands we’re going to have least 2 South devon players on the bench along with Olaf... I hope the other 2 signings are done by Saturday. Would be mad if Matt Buse doesn’t sign after being with us all pre season
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The way we have played in pre season will put bums on seats.Under Johnson we know we are in for a full ninety minutes of competitive football. There are always a good minority who do not attend friendlies so I imagine it will definitely be 3000 plus for the first competitive fixture. Borehamwood have made some good acquisitions this summer and Tyrone Marsh will be a handful up front. I remember going to the away fixture several seasons ago when they totally bullied us off the park, if four of their players had been sent off we still would have struggled to score. I trust that version of Torquay has been dispatched to the bin for good.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

3-1 TQ
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Can’t believe the transformation in the feeling around the club, does anyone know if we’re operating in profit ? I doubt it.
Think it was our first away match at Oxford City, watching that I really did fear the worst, we didn’t actually play that bad but the realisation that we struggled to compete or break them down depressed me. Then the masochist in me lead me to Gloucester away, least said about that the better but you knew we wouldn’t win half hour before KO!
Then in comes GJ lol take the games we didn’t win, Weston Bath Woking (although I didn’t attend the later) away don’t think I’ve met anyone who didn’t enjoy them. There’s the difference,,
COY

4-0 TQY
Three games before we concede 😊
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 16:04 The way we have played in pre season will put bums on seats.Under Johnson we know we are in for a full ninety minutes of competitive football. There are always a good minority who do not attend friendlies so I imagine it will definitely be 3000 plus for the first competitive fixture. Borehamwood have made some good acquisitions this summer and Tyrone Marsh will be a handful up front. I remember going to the away fixture several seasons ago when they totally bullied us off the park, if four of their players had been sent off we still would have struggled to score. I trust that version of Torquay has been dispatched to the bin for good.
Boreham are notoriously dirty, As you say, they are bullies. I’m sure GJ is well aware of the antics they will stoop to in order to win. It makes up for their lack of skill.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

0-1
Sorry guys just got a funny feeling the expectation will get to the lads.
And history says we aren't good at getting wins on day 1.
Hope I'm wrong though.
Coyy