Torquay United v Exeter City PSF 27.7.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Torquay United v Exeter City PSF 27.7.19

Post by standupsitdown »

Final match in an excellent pre-season.
My first visit to Plainmoor since the trophy presentation. Seems ages ago.
Picked up my season ticket yesterday and lady in the office said they're expecting a good crowd but probably not as many as for Plymouth.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

standupsitdown wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 09:57 Final match in an excellent pre-season.
My first visit to Plainmoor since the trophy presentation. Seems ages ago.
Picked up my season ticket yesterday and lady in the office said they're expecting a good crowd but probably not as many as for Plymouth.
I predict 2700 (850 away) mind you what else is there to do ?
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

sounds a busy start to the game...….Manny Duku !!!!!! 1-0
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

1 - 1 half time
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Jake Andrews missed a good chance and Williams has scored at the other end......1 - 2
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

All over - 1-2
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Teigngull wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 10:42

I predict 2700 (850 away) mind you what else is there to do ?
Can you pick my lottery numbers ;-) :bow:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good game if we had taken our chances we would have won. Everyone did well but noticeable that a couple need to be sharper.

Now Garry Johnson has got the playing side sorted can't we get the Chips a bit better as £3.50 for chips is a rip off when they are not fresh won't be buying them again.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Thought we matched them fairly well and maybe deserved a draw. When you consider they are a league 2 side didn’t think there was much between us.Yes I know it was a friendly etc but it was quite competitive.
A couple of worries I think were that we seemed to be caught with pace at the back (thought that their Williams was the best player on the pitch) maybe due to Niate’s lack of pace and Frank Vincent’s positional play at times.
Secondly don’t think Jamie Read looks the same player without Saiko Janneh?

That said still think we were/are good enough to compete at the top of the National League.

GJ in his post match interview has stated he is expecting 3 loans to arrive on Monday. Oh what I would give for Saiko to return ( and a couple of defenders)
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

We were the better team for the first and last 15 minutes and there wasn't much in it for the rest. We deserved a draw.
Concern that the defence looked vulnerable to pace but we played some good football, especially in the first half.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think the commentators would describe Exeter as robust and I had certainly forgotten how useful Bowman was with his elbows. Plenty of positives to take from the match but it shows how thin we are on the ground when Duku had to come out second half still carrying an injury, with the exception of Mcdonald and Kalala our subs are not National League standard. Who does Keating think he is knocking forty yard perfect balls across the park, he frightened the daylights out of Exeter first half. I agree with a previous contributor Reidy was largely anonymous today and he needs to massively alter his attitude and increase his work rate if he is too get anywhere near the form of last season. Our back four is fragile to say the least, Its a long time since I have seen Cameron struggling to cope with opposing forwards and if you wish to see how two centre halfs should operate look no further than the Exeter lads. Vincent has a huge amount of talent but in no stretch of the imagination is he a left back. Overall a good match and not at all disappointed to go down 2-1.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Putting aside local rivalries, I thought we did ok today. City will challenge for play offs again in Div 2 and we are in the national League. We were light up front though. Bowman showed in the second half what he can do and any centre half will know they have been in a game against him. Not sure our two today have the same effect!! We certainly need a striker before next week. Little is class and will have a good season. Must improve if we are serious about automatic promotion but play offs is a possibility on present form!! On a side note I have never seen so many riot police on plainmoor high street after the match in my life. Must have seen trouble in the offing!! Anyone see anything??
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

fred wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 22:45 b] On a side note I have never seen so many riot police on plainmoor high street after the match in my life. Must have seen trouble in the offing!! Anyone see anything[/b]??
I didn't see any trouble but Exeter fans were rounded up outside away entrance at final whistle and police blocked road with three vans, one with dogs in it.
Usual story, small risk of disorder and police overreact sending at least twice as many officers as necessary.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

One of the police dogs was called ANNIE, doesn't really inspire fear unless you have a mother in law who goes by that name in which case I bow to your superior knowledge.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went to this game yesterday, as with any pre-season game results don't matter to much, plenty a team has won all their pre-season games only to be relegated. Exeter with a settled manager and a more settled squad were always going to provide a much tougher test than Plymouth, with a new manager and many mew signings.

Plenty of positives from the game , love them or hate them Exeter are among the fancied sides in the league above us, we matched them on neat incisive football, matched them physically for periods in the game, although they held the ball up better than us, also their keeper was the busier of the two, a game we deserved a draw, and could so easily have won but for a three very good second half saves from Ward in the Exeter goal.

Thought we looked panicked at the back far to often, but, put this down to Lucas Covolan Cavagnari making his debut, and a defence that hadn't much in the way of pitch time with him in goal, communication seemed to be lacking early in the game between keeper and defenders, however he looked a very capable goalkeeper, whilst I would expect MacDonald to start the season, no concerns if he got injured.

I don't understand where or why this criticism of Jamie Reid has started up again, there was seriously nothing wrong with Reidy's attitude yesterday, there never is. This was always going to tough afternoon for Reidy, he is a striker that goes off the shoulder, and relies on strength and pace, he came up against accomplished defenders from a level above, who were just as quick, and strong as him, still managed to force a fine save from the City keeper.

As for the police presence, shows people up for they are, god we Brits love a moan don't we. I'm afraid it's no win situation, I'm guessing there was intelligence suggesting the possibility of trouble at the game, believe there was an incident down by the old Waitrose store some time after the match, which it was suggested on the Spotted Torquay site to have been, between Exeter and Torquay fans, had there been no police and trouble we'd have moaned, a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't .
Formerly known as forevertufc