Tiverton v TUFC PSF 20/07

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Tiverton v TUFC PSF 20/07

Post by Louis »

We’re 1-0 up at HT

little 31' (pen)
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Have we at last found someone to take penalties?
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

He is starting to look like a Luke Young, only better!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not sure what anyone other than Johnson with his managers head on would have discovered out of this match, as good as the game against Plymouth was, this was not. I realise we were made up of youth team players ,trialists with the odd first team player thrown in but there was a general lack of class, the young centre half was a player for the future and that he survived in one piece against the Tiverton front two was no mean feat as they have both got a career waiting for them after football as heavyweight cage fighters, the young right back who played second half also had something about him. Koszela spent more time offside than he did on, the young 22 up front needed a good meal and was out of his depth at this level, but again maybe one for the future, Keating seemed to play in ever position other than Keeper, his enthusiasm for the game should have been infectious, but it wasn't, as imperious as Kalala was on Tuesday today he just didn't fancy it , in his defence, the pitch was so narrow I have seen wider table tennis tables. Best thing about this afternoon was the quality of the pasties, Torquay food providers please take note.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod »

Frankly it was a pretty non afternoon. To be honest Tiverton were unlucky not to have gained at least a draw. Louis Slough, playing in front of his grandfather, Alan Slough (ex-Fulham amongst others), did his chances no harm.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 20:36 Frankly it was a pretty non afternoon. To be honest Tiverton were unlucky not to have gained at least a draw. Louis Slough, playing in front of his grandfather, Alan Slough (ex-Fulham amongst others), did his chances no harm.
Grandfather oh jeez that makes me feel so old !!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs

Post by culmstockgull »

Nickbrod, was louis Slough the centre half or the lad who came on second half and played right back. Either way we need to hang on to both of them.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 11:29 Nickbrod, was louis Slough the centre half or the lad who came on second half and played right back. Either way we need to hang on to both of them.
Well listening to GJ's interview afterwards, they seem to have struck a chord with him, so well done to all parties involved, looks like a very promising allegiance is developing between SDC & TUFC.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

It bothers me a little bit that Shaun Mc.Donald is having to play in all the friendlies as our new keeper isn't match fit. We have two more friendlies this week and we don't want Shaun to pick up any injuries/strains before August 3rd.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Why worry ?
We went the best part of a season last year with Sean at no'1 & an untried youngster on the bench (George Burton) & that scenario doesn't work out too bad did it ?
Have faith, it seems Lucas isn't as injured as badly as all that.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 11:29 Nickbrod, was louis Slough the centre half or the lad who came on second half and played right back. Either way we need to hang on to both of them.
Louis Slough played centre-half with Kyle Cameron in the first half and with Asa Hall in the second half. I thought he did ok and shows promise.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Choose not to go to this game, having been to the Buckland friendly, had a feeling this game would be centred more around the youngsters, and might be more of a non-event, probably wont go to the Swansea game either, we're likely to see any loan signings in by the Exeter game so this one will be my next visit.

I'm pretty sure the college lads, are studying and training at Torquay academy rather than south Devon college, I was quite impressed when a few of them came on against Buckland, not only because they looked talented young players, but in main, it was their confidence out on the pitch that shone for me, they look as if they're in good hands.

Finally not to worried about MacDonald either, after Bass was injured and then recalled early doors last season, MacDonald was an ever present, as said above, suggests he's a fit healthy young man, but if the worst was to happen, if there is not any suitable fit cover, GJ would go into the loan market.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 16:18 Choose not to go to this game, having been to the Buckland friendly, had a feeling this game would be centred more around the youngsters, and might be more of a non-event, probably wont go to the Swansea game either, we're likely to see any loan signings in by the Exeter game so this one will be my next visit.

I'm pretty sure the college lads, are studying and training at Torquay academy rather than south Devon college, I was quite impressed when a few of them came on against Buckland, not only because they looked talented young players, but in main, it was their confidence out on the pitch that shone for me, they look as if they're in good hands.

Finally not to worried about MacDonald either, after Bass was injured and then recalled early doors last season, MacDonald was an ever present, as said above, suggests he's a fit healthy young man, but if the worst was to happen, if there is not any suitable fit cover, GJ would go into the loan market.
I guess the Swansea under 23's games may have been arranged with an eye on getting a couple of their youngsters in on loan? This is what happened in previous years with players signed from Bristol City last year (Andrews and Edwards) and West Brom (in 2016 - Joe Ward and Chay Scrivens) after pre-season games against their youth teams.

As for the youngsters, haven't we moved on from the relationship with Torquay Academy to a similar deal with SDC? Chris Todd often tweets his approval of his players getting the chance to train or play with our pros and he works at SDC I believe?
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Any ideas who the triallist striker was? First name Luke. Didn’t have much chance to impress, was playing off of poor service.
The gulls are going up
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jerry wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 18:26

As for the youngsters, haven't we moved on from the relationship with Torquay Academy to a similar deal with SDC? Chris Todd often tweets his approval of his players getting the chance to train or play with our pros and he works at SDC I believe?
To be quite honest Jerry I don't know, been more than a couple of years since I was last involved in youth football so lost touch with it all, I know young Josh Baxter cam through the Torquay academy route, just presumed the others have as well. Last time I saw the SDC football education programme it was run by Alex Watson, and the standard they played at was awful, maybe things have changed there.
Formerly known as forevertufc