Reg Jenkins

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Reg Jenkins

Post by wivelgull »

An almost forgotten name now, but Reg Jenkins was an important player for United in the early-mid sixties. He was one of the few players to turn out for all three Devon clubs. He was a big, burly, very typical of the time forward, but he was never especially popular at Plainmoor. Things changed, however, when he was transferred to Rochdale (I can't remember the year but no doubt a Codger will know) where he was an instant success, so much so that he was voted as their all-time greatest player. A forward line of Jenkins, Stubbs, Northcott and Pym is one which has never been replicated.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Left at the end of the 1963/64 season. Good player. Bumped into him at Millbrook a few times where he was the groundsman at the local football club. I always told him he was a childhood hero which he seemed to like! Sadly died a few years ago. He was another of those who attracted derision from that certain element we have within our support, but for me as an 11 year old he was awesome!
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

Reg Jenkins was a good strong player and with his short back and sides the 14/15 year old me thought he looked like he had just come out of the army.

Although I had been to Plainmoor a few times before, in September 1962 I was deemed responsible enough to attend a home game against Barrow on my own. Reg Jenkins didn't play that day but he was soon back in the team only to be dropped again before coming back for the final games of the season. During his last season with us 1963/1964 he played in 37 league games.The following season he was back at Plainmoor playing for Rochdale (where he played over 300 league games) although thank goodness we kept him under control in a 2-1 win.

One game that he played in which has stayed with me ever since was against Newport County on 19 October 1963. The forward line that day was Bobby Webb, Tommy Northcott, Robin Stubbs, Reg Jenkins and Ernie Pym. We took an early 2 goal lead but by half time it was 2-1. Nothing much happened at the start of the second half and it wasn't until I read about it many years later that I found out that with 20 minutes to go the score was still 2-1, then all hell broke loose. In those final 20 minutes the score changed from 2-1 to 8-3. Our scorers were Robin Stubbs 5, Reg Jenkins 2 and Tommy Northcott.

I have seen games at the highest level including the top division, England Internationals and 2 European Cup Finals (both at Wembley) but that amazing afternoon at Plainmoor in October 1963 has remained with me forever.
Tonyb52
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Tonyb52 »

I remember this game very well. I was 11 and stood behind the babbacombe end goal not believing what I was witnessing. The football buff headline that night was Golden boy Stubbs hits five. Great memories.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

I was in the Cowshed at the Ellacombe End so witnessed the 2nd half action from a distance although it didn't diminish the enjoyment. For one goal I remember Robin Stubbs beating the offside trap near the halfway line and with no defenders in front of him, I and it seemed everyone else thought he would go on to round the goalkeeper Len Weare and score. Instead somewhere between the halfway line and the goal area he decided to shoot. To start with the crowd groaned but as the ball sailed towards the top left corner (from where I was standing) the groans turned to cheers.

Afterwards a friend and I were walking down Bronshill Road towards Castle Circus to get a bus back to Shiphay when a lady walking towards us asked us what the score was. When we told her it was 8-3 she thought we were taking the pee. Great memories indeed.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

TerryTorq I was at this game aged 19.

For many years ,I do not know why, I thought this game was on Boxing Day.

I was behind the goal at the Babbacombe end and Robin Stubbs was utterly brilliant.

I think it must be the highest scoring game I have ever seen and have been watching pro football for over 60 years.

Ernie Pym was a favourite of mine. I once saw him score a hat trick at Exeter City in a 3-0 win for United.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

It seems I always stood at the wrong end because I was in the Cowshed for the Spurs game in 1965 when Robin Stubbs scored his late goals at the Babbacombe End. After that season I migrated to the Popular Side to get a better view.

At Football League level and above that is the only time that I have seen 10 or more goals in a match. When the 8 goals were eventually beaten about 15 years later it was at White Hart Lane when Colin Lee score 4 goals for Spurs in a 9-0 win over Bristol Rovers so at least there was a Torquay connection.

Being local boys Ernie Pym and Tommy Northcott were both crowd favourites. I believe the Ernie Pym hat trick against Exeter City was the opening game of the 1962/1963 season and although Ernie Pym didn't score we also won the home game 3-0.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

I well remember the Newport game. 71 mins 2 - 1 and 87 mins 8 - 3! I also remember saying to my mates that I was cutting down on smoking and would only light up a cigarette when United scored. Acting the fool, I ended up with a handful of lit ciggies! I might be wrong, but I also seem to remember a cup match against Northampton where we were 0 - 1 down at half time but went on to win 7 - 1
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

My Dad took me in for the last 20 minutes of this game - Babbacombe End ( my first ever visit to Plainmoor) they must have opened the gates at that time
(Gateman will know) an incredible introduction to Torquay United and I have been hooked ever since barely missing a home game, on average one or two every two years. I remember the flurry of goals but not details, I seem to recall Newport scoring a penalty at about 3-1 ?
Perhaps someone can remember how the scoring went from 2-1 ?
I wasnt allowed to go to the next home game which was a Wednesday night but remember checking the Daily Mail next morning before school - a 1-0 win over Gillingham. Going down to get the football buff at 6pm ish was very exciting , especially in later years when it was Bondys Tuck Shop and John was actually in there serving sometimes !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

TerryTorq you are spot on I looked up Soccerbase and it was 18 August 1962.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

Magpiegull wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:33 I well remember the Newport game. 71 mins 2 - 1 and 87 mins 8 - 3! I also remember saying to my mates that I was cutting down on smoking and would only light up a cigarette when United scored. Acting the fool, I ended up with a handful of lit ciggies! I might be wrong, but I also seem to remember a cup match against Northampton where we were 0 - 1 down at half time but went on to win 7 - 1
With 8 goals in 16 minutes that certainly was a excellent afternoon to be at Plainmoor.

Although I wasn't there I believe the 7-1 win against Northampton was in November 1959 and before our 7-0 win against Lymington earlier this season was our highest ever victory in the FA Cup.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

portugull wrote: 05 May 2019, 19:32 TerryTorq you are spot on I looked up Soccerbase and it was 18 August 1962.
Unfortunately my memory isn't that good so I will own up to having assistance from a couple of books containing most of our results and goalscorers from 1899 onwards.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

desperado wrote: 05 May 2019, 18:42 My Dad took me in for the last 20 minutes of this game - Babbacombe End ( my first ever visit to Plainmoor) they must have opened the gates at that time
(Gateman will know) an incredible introduction to Torquay United and I have been hooked ever since barely missing a home game, on average one or two every two years. I remember the flurry of goals but not details, I seem to recall Newport scoring a penalty at about 3-1 ?
Perhaps someone can remember how the scoring went from 2-1 ?
I wasnt allowed to go to the next home game which was a Wednesday night but remember checking the Daily Mail next morning before school - a 1-0 win over Gillingham. Going down to get the football buff at 6pm ish was very exciting , especially in later years when it was Bondys Tuck Shop and John was actually in there serving sometimes !
I can remember the gates being opened halfway through the 2nd half so you must have arrived just in time to witness the extravaganza. I can vaguely remember a Newport penalty and the score at some stage (I think) being 4-2 but the rest is a blur.

At the time I was a schoolboy at Homelands next to the ground and I am not sure if I was at the Gillingham game but I was certainly there for the next Saturday home game when we beat Bradford Park Avenue 6-2. After the 8-3 I went home slightly disappointed.

During the mid to late 1960s I worked across the road from the Tuck Shop and I do remember John Bond being in there. On a Saturday my Father often came home with a football buff.

I can also remember someone from the Herald Express walking amongst the crowd on the Popular Side during the 2nd half of games selling newspapers containing the half time scores.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I voted for the 8-3 win over Newport in 'the most memorable game at Plainmoor' poll.
I think Torquay library keeps copies of the Herald Express so it might be possible to look up the buff for that day. Indubitably, though, the headline was the greatest of all-time United headlines:
GOLDEN BOY STUBBS HITS FIVE!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Ah! Sixties memories....the half-time Herald Express seller would yell 'Snow in New'n Abbit'. I can see - and hear - him now. I think (Codgers please correct me) that he was small and wore a flat cap.