Realistic goals next season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Realistic goals next season

Post by Teigngull »

Where do you all think next season's ambitions should be set at by us fans ?
I think minimum we should be looking at a play-off berth at least, top 3 maybe beyond us but anything from 4th - 7th should be a realistic target with the current squad ( already signed up ) + a few more GJ type players ( he knows who & what it takes ) .
Or is a season of consolidation more than likely to be the expectations by the majority ?
It'd be great to win the league again, but the National League is a different kettle of fish compared to regional football, some big clubs in there & the long haul trips have taken their toll on us before.
Seeing we're a more professional outfit now that the local bus driver, Mr Morose & the professional taste teste d are no more, can we do it again ?
I say yes, but we need quality additions as a priority.
Coyy.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

For next season everyone will be happy with mid table. The main difference is that no teams when we play them will be raising their performances. We will have played most of them plenty of times before. Every club will have experienced squads. It all depends what players the manager brings in as despite not conceding much in the South if we defend like that again wont get away like we have done by scoring more. We have the basis of a good squad and interested to see who we are going to bring in
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I would be disappointed (as I think GJ would be) if we did not make the play-offs.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Whydoibother wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 17:36 For next season everyone will be happy with mid table. The main difference is that no teams when we play them will be raising their performances. We will have played most of them plenty of times before. Every club will have experienced squads. It all depends what players the manager brings in as despite not conceding much in the South if we defend like that again wont get away like we have done by scoring more. We have the basis of a good squad and interested to see who we are going to bring in
I wouldn't be happy with mid table, my aim for the club is promotion back into League 2 asap, I don't care if its automatic or through the pay offs.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As I always do, I think that the acquisition of a 'hard man/destroyer (a la Colin Bettany) is necessary in midfield/defence if we are to progress.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

We have to aim for promotion, it doesn’t matter if it’s automatic or through the play-offs.

There won’t be so many teams who run out of steam after 60 mins.

In GJ we trust !
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

I feel like most posters here (OP included) haven't read the thread title...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

All depends on the squad. Gary Johnson can definitely get this club back into the football league, but not sure he could with what we have at the moment. If we want a realistic chance of fighting for promotion next season, we need to spend big.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Harrogate and Salford got promoted last season and have both done well. Granted Salford have spent and have the 'class of 92' pull factor. However, we are Torquay United with a long proud history playing a higher level with good facilities at this level and most importantly a fantastic fan base. Who wouldn't want to play here vs say Dover (with all due respect)? With Gary at the wheel we will be in contention I think. We will get some good loanees in as well as some good permanents I'm sure. Aim for the stars and all that!
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Aim high. Top. Settle for the playoffs if we have to.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Midlandgull wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 22:07 Harrogate and Salford got promoted last season and have both done well.
Yeah ..... but Havant & Waterlooville and Braintree also got promoted, and they're both going to be relegated!! We will do well. This group of lads have a season's experience under their belts and have played their best football against the better clubs in the league. I think that GJ will look to bring in a couple of older experienced players and he will need a larger squad. There will be a lot more travelling which might affect performances. Barrow and Gateshead spring to mind.

Realistic goals next season? Promotion of course. Realistic outcome for next season - top half of the league, just outside the play offs. Then a big promotion push the following season.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

The club is in the ascendancy so on a roll so promotion is possible but realistically it's very difficult to get promoted in succession, think the play offs are possible or just below that and if so a season of consolidation ready for an attempt for automatic promotion the following season.
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

greb46 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 06:12 The club is in the ascendancy so on a roll so promotion is possible but realistically it's very difficult to get promoted in succession, think the play offs are possible or just below that and if so a season of consolidation ready for an attempt for automatic promotion the following season.
True, I would like to see us promoted but the National League is very difficult to get out of. Look at Wrexham!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Clarke Osborne answering this question would say, as quoted from his Club Statement yesterday," We have momentum and can now push forward for more success and more promotions." Since he not only owns the club but also more importantly bankrolls it, he should know what it will take to back "more promotions".
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

GJ is the most talented manager that the Gulls have had for many many seasons. He’s been there, done it and got the T shirt in bundles. If there is any manager that could get us promoted next season it is GJ (as long as he is given the financial resources).