Best Ever Day?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Best Ever Day?

Post by standupsitdown »

After more than 40 years I've finally seen Torquay win a league.

Was this the best day, winning the National League South, or could it be?

Promotion against Southend.

Play off wins against Blackpool or Cambridge.

Avoiding relegation - many but probably most notably, Crewe or Barnet.
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

I know this isn’t a best day. But I really can’t wait for a West Country clash vs Yeovil next season. Not looking good for them in league 2 right now. COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

My best day would be beating Cambridge at Wembley. But today is definitely better than all those last day relegation scraps and will probably rank amongst many people as one the great days.
The person who I think deserved today's success more than anybody else is Jamie Reid who had taken so much shit from our supporters in the past.
Godalming Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Godalming Gull »

What a day at Wembley that was!!!!.......I will never forget Timmy Sills goal.... has to rate as one of the best we have scored. Sorry I could not be there today but very well done to the boys commentating on TUFC radio..they did an excellent job.
Got tickets for Chippers and St Albans and will hope to get down for the Hungerford game.
Can’t wait for next season... never been to Hartlepool........
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Ive always thought getting automatic promotion was the best day. Then the Cambridge win as we thought we were back in the league for good. However winning a league is up there
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

What about beating Division One leaders Wolves 2-0 at a packed Molineux to clinch a never before dreamed-of Torquay trip to Wembley
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

londongull63 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 02:23 What about beating Division One leaders Wolves 2-0 at a packed Molineux to clinch a never before dreamed-of Torquay trip to Wembley
You mean league one and at the time it was called Division Three.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Godalming Gull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 21:21
Can’t wait for next season... never been to Hartlepool........
You haven't missed much!! However you will hear the story of the monkey hangers!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Best day? Probably back in 1968 when we beat Bury 3-0 on Match of the Day and it seemed likely that we were bound for Division 2 (i.e. the Championship). The Codgery may very well agree with this.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Its definitely up there. For many its probably Southend 04. I missed that one because I couldnt stomach it after Orient 98 and I was convinced Huddersfield would win their game.

For me personally its play off 91 v Blackpool but yesterday comes second. The fact that we won a league and it actually happened at Plainmoor was huge. Yes we have been to wembley in a cup final and won a conference play off final but other than a few cup upsets when have we had such a huge achievement happen at Plainmoor, I cant think of any in my 32 years of following. My first ever game, 87 vs Crewe was probably still the greatest scenes I have seen at our ground and will always be most memorable but for achievement yesterday was the best day there.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Beating Blackpool at Wembley - what a great game that was.
The 3 - 3 F.A. Cup draw with Spurs (I'll rely on Stefano to tell me the year!)
Avoiding relegation in the Bryn the Police Dog Crewe game
First game of the following season under Cyril Knowles beating someone (Swansea? - Stefano's help required again!) 5 - 0
Play off final against Cambridge - 'it's Wayne Carlisle, he crosses, Tim Sills is there - GOALLLLLL" What a magical moment that was.
Play off game against Scarborough - the Rodney Jack game. What a night at Plainmoor that was.
Beating relegation - yet again - with that crucial win at Barnet
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. tomogull:

Spurs game (1965)

Cyril Knowles first game : Torquay United 6 Wrexham 1 (they scored first). Attendance about 1800.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I also should have said: the commentary was:

'Carlisle....he's looking for Benyon....SILLS!!!'
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have to agree with Wivel, although fantastic days at Wembley, Southend, etc nothing compares with some of those days at Plainmoor in the mid to late sixties, too many to mention and three levels higher than we were this season. I may revise that if The Godfather gets us to The Championship in the next 5 years. If he can do it with Yeovil why not ? We are a bigger club than them
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 17:38 Mr. tomogull:

Spurs game (1965)

Cyril Knowles first game : Torquay United 6 Wrexham 1 (they scored first). Attendance about 1800.
Cheers Wivel. 1965 ..... 54 years ago. That's scary! Ah - it was Wrexham, not Swansea. I knew it was some foreign team! After the season before (no criticism of Stuart Morgan) and the dreadful seasons under Dave Webb, we couldn't believe our eyes what was happening in that first game of a new season.