Woking FC v Torquay United 6/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Woking FC v Torquay United 6/4/19

Post by lucy6lucy »

Boy Didn’t it feel great waking up this morning, imagine the feeling on Sunday if we avoid defeat on Saturday.
Roll back to the Weston defeat, who in their right mind would predict us going into what was then seen as the title decider 7(SEVEN) points clear. Woking have been very very unpredictable in the last 5 games and we have been exceptional considering we have beaten almost every playoff contender. Let’s not forget when Woking beat Oxford City they went 3 points clear to put real pressure on us, it’s testament to this squad that 5 games later we have just annihilated Woking.
So even if we lose on Saturday I still believe we will win the league as beating Chelmsford was pivotal. A draw or win will just make the scenes at Woking magic. COYY we are so close. 2-2 I’m going for, and I’m also predicting a sending off not sure who :lol: :clap:
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 03 Apr 2019, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

6-0 Reid and Keating hatricks....

Get the fat lady on stage and get her warming up.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

My head is going with 1-1 but would love the 6-0 above.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

If the opinion of their forum is anything close to a consensus for the entire fanbase, they are extremely despondent and not looking forward to this one, whatsoever. Well, who can blame them? The last five games have been nothing short of remarkable for us.

When GJ arrived on the scene, I said then that we would go on to win the league, despite our position in table being closer to the relegation zone than the play-offs and I've been confident of that since. I'm happy to say that we are very close to seeing that prediction a reality.

Of course, we all like to discuss the vast possibilities of what might happen on Saturday to determine what might happen on the following one. A draw would see us 7 points ahead with 12 to play for, meaning if we win and they lose (at a very difficult fixture away at Chelmsford, I may add!) that would mean 10 points ahead with 9 to play for and we are crowned champions. Even if we win and they draw their next game, we will be 9 points ahead with a huge GD which would mean game over as well.

If we lose, then it's 4 points with 12 to play for and Woking have a slight glimmer of hope, however, it is very unlikely that we are to lose more than one in a row, seeing as we haven't done that all season.

Like with all of our games this season, we have to take it one at a time and just have to go out there and win the game. Forget the table, the title and the jubilant thought of promotion, just take it like a 90 minute game of football that we want to win. Winning on Saturday would beat our most wins in a row record for this season at 6 in a row (we have only managed to win 5 in a row twice this season), so another nice incentive to get the victory.

I would love to see us go there and completely dominate the game and win with a convincing 3-0, but I would also take the draw before the game and win our next home game in front of close to 4,000 fans to get us out of this bloody league!

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Heart says I'd like to see us go there and turn them over, dominate the game and show we're rightful champions elect.
Head says, take it calmly don't get involved in anything, no bookings no injuries and even be a shrinking violet at times if necessary. It's now just another game "on route" to us and in grand scheme of the conference south doesn't mean a great deal, To our worthy opponents it's means absolutely everything and is a must win fixture at all costs. Would love to know GJ's game plan and what he's thinking and do hope we don't get involved in anything rash.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Interesting to read that many Cards Forum members give their side little chance. I`m particularly fond of jonwoozley who thinks Woking will "get our arse served up on a plate" and predicts 3-0 to Gulls. My personal opinion is I think we`ll win the game. All the pressure is on Woking. I think if we keep our heads, keep 11 men on the field, play our football and do as GJ likes to say, "Be professional and game manage" we`ll get a result.
BristolianGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by BristolianGull »

If anybody needs to lift from Bristol up to Woking and back I have space for three on Saturday morning. PM me if you would like a lift.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It would be nice to go there and get a win, for no other reason than we'll have 1400 odd fans there and it would be a memorable game for them. The previous two big travelling supports at Bath and Weston-Super-Mare have seen disappointing displays, and we have a chance to put that right with the next three trips, all of which will see 1000+ away followings.

Winning would also set up a big crowd for the Eastbourne game, possibly allow Olaf to get some minutes in the later games and show the rest of the league that we're deserved champions.

For all that though, a draw in this would be one hand on the trophy, so that's a far better result for us than it is for them. It's a last-chance, must win game for Woking, so as long as we prevent that, we have to be happy.

Hopefully a few of the injured players are fit enough to play. Hall in particular would be a big hole to fill, and having Janneh, even off the bench, would be a great option. Sendles-White would give us cover in the event of an injury to a defender. Going into such a crucial game without Hall, no defensive cover and limited attacking options off the bench wouldn't be ideal to say the least.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Let's hope for a trouble free day. I think there will be a lot of goading etc from the Woking fans.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Will be a tough game. I just hope it is third time lucky in front of a big away crowd. The way we have played against teams in better form than Woking is a huge positive. Woking could either be bang up for it, or be disheartened over how things have panned out the past couple weeks. I wonder if Ben Wynter if giving GJ any insider info. Musn't forget that he got to the NLS play-off final last season at Hampton & Richmond alongside Max Kretzschmar and Josh Casey, under the management of Alan Dowson. Must have a broad overview of what kind of game Dowson likes to play, if allowed to by the opposition of course.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 07:55 Let's hope for a trouble free day. I think there will be a lot of goading etc from the Woking fans.
I can imagine it will be the same for our fans towards a certain vocal ex-player.
But agree, as long as the team keep their calm, we'll finish the game not losing and with 11 players on the pitch.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Bloggy wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 08:42 I can imagine it will be the same for our fans towards a certain vocal ex-player.
But agree, as long as the team keep their calm, we'll finish the game not losing and with 11 players on the pitch.
Who could you mean? I wanna know...…!!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

:whistle:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whatever way you look at it this just isn't the high stakes winner takes all intense showdown that looked likely a couple of weeks ago.

If as rumoured Dowson was at Tuesday nights match he will know that is chances of winning the league disappeared as soon as Andrews headed in the third goal.

Woking have to go for it and that should set things up nicely. GJ has said that Janneh will be it fit for Saturday and that probably will mean disaster for Gerring and co. In fact Gerring is looking like a sitting duck if Woking press forward.

Of course its perfectly feasible that Woking could win but this really is a free hit for us and we have the freedom to express ourselves.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

I honestly think that even if we lose this one (which we won't), Woking's run-in is a lot tougher (on paper) than ours.

They have to visit Chelmsford (aiming for play-offs), home to Concord (ditto), away to Dulwich (scrapping to avoid relegation and will be in front of a huge crowd of vegan-loving hipsters) and them home on the final day to Gloucester (who could still be in with a chance of avoiding the drop on the final day).

Our final four games involve three teams in the lower reaches of the league and only St Albans could prove tricky as, at present, they are still within a shout of the play-offs, but we'd have won the title by then and if it meant St Albans overtaking Billericay for the final spot, then I'd say we just play our under-12s whilst the rest of the squad party with the fans!

Cannot wait for Saturday... especially when Kalvin & Co make Gerring look even more stupid than he already is.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''