Dartford 16 Mar 19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Mind you, I'm still trying to understand how the ref watched a Dartford player absolutely hoof the ball out of the stadium and award THEM the throw-in. :lol:
TUST member 203
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gulliball I was wrong about Niate one red not 3 this season.

I have watched the Highlights 6 times and I still think Jean played the man not the ball. Very risky when you are the last man.

Easy to say but he should have concentrated on playing the ball.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 12:54 Definitely a red card. Last defender, and he played the player, not the ball.

Right decision.
Totally agree.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Didn't look quite so clear cut on the highlights but still think it's a red. Certainly wasn't a nailed on pen Trojan ! Apologies to Jamie Reid, his shot certainly was on target which technically gives him the goal but hardly a slight deflection as reported in several places
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 12:19 Not blatant to me at all. Their player has lost control of the ball which looks like it going towards the corner flag.

Niate looks to have gone in shoulder to shoulder. Can't really see what the referee has to ask the linesman about.

Their player isn't going to score - looks harsh to me.
I think you should get your computer screen checked, Brucie. The Dartford player got on the 'wrong' side of Niate. He was through on goal - Niate pushed him in the back. Like you, I couldn't understand why the ref had to check with the linesman because even the most blantantly biased fan would have to admit it was a nailed-on sending off. As for the handball incident, Plainmoor 78 is right. There were no appeals from our players. Even in yesterday's conditions, I thought that Dartford were one of the better teams we have seen at Plainmoor this season. They will give Woking a tough game in the play offs .......

We have to remember that in conditions like that, it is difficult for the officials as well as the players. I thought the ref did his bit to contribute to an entertaining game in spite of the conditions. He didn't get much wrong and he let the game flow, not like some of the over-fussy refs we've had to put up with. But a great battling-team performance by the 10 men, and fantastic support from the fans. A word about Frank Vincent. He looked lightweight when he came on against Dulwich Hamlet, but he did well in the 10 minutes or so he was on yesterday. He moves the ball on quickly and accurately - shades of Eunan O'Kane??
P.S. I thought their no. 5 - the player who clattered Dickson - looked a decent player. A no-nonsense central defender who could play a bit. I'd rather seem him alongside Cameron than Niate or Sendle-White.
Last edited by tomogull on 17 Mar 2019, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 15:49They will give Woking a tough game in the play offs .......
Loving the fighting talk, tomo. :)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Brucie has a bunker mentality. All the refs and the world are against us. The needles getting stuck.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I can sympathise with brucie on this occasion, it was barely more than shoulder to shoulder except Niate put his arm across their player which is why I believe he was given the red card. The challenge itself looked innocuous enough to me.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 16:50 I can sympathise with brucie on this occasion, it was barely more than shoulder to shoulder except Niate put his arm across their player which is why I believe he was given the red card. The challenge itself looked innocuous enough to me.
That was actually my impression when I first saw it, but I was sitting at the far end in Bristows. These sort of decisions are always 50/50. When the Dartford players started crowding the ref I thought they were appealing for a penalty and I wonder if that is what made the ref consult his linesman.
But nevermind, this was a hugely pleasing performance, every player played his part and it bodes well for the run in.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start I still cant understand why football fans are so obsessed with he was 'the last man' 'the last defender' that simply does not come into it. It is only a red card if in the referees opinion there has been a denial, of a clear goal scoring opportunity, so if the referee judges that a covering player could have made a challenge, then being the last man wouldn't result in a red card.

Thought on the day is was a clear red card decision, thought the referee was right to double check it with has assistant, now having seen back on video just can not find any reason to argue with that decision, the attacking player would have got a shot away, so a clear goal scoring opportunity, and he's been fouled.

The only thing I have changed my mind on is Naite, I felt sorry for him on the day, put it down to the awful weather conditions, thought he'd been a victim of the strong wind, having seen it back, I'm now certain it's an individual piece of hopeless defending, he's caught ball watching.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity though. Their player has clearly miscontrolled the ball which as a result is running away from the goal.

I can see why he got sent off but if the ref had the benefit of the replay I doubt the decision would have been the same.

Had Niate not made any contact its pretty unlikely their player would have scored as by the time he had recovered the ball two or three defenders would have got to him.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I agree with Brucie...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 18:15 It wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity though. Their player has clearly miscontrolled the ball which as a result is running away from the goal.

I can see why he got sent off but if the ref had the benefit of the replay I doubt the decision would have been the same.

Had Niate not made any contact its pretty unlikely their player would have scored as by the time he had recovered the ball two or three defenders would have got to him.
Brucie me old mate, not disagreeing with you on a small point, there is a very slight miss control of the ball, but not enough in my opinion to have stopped the attacking player from getting his shot away that in itself makes it a 'clear goal scoring opportunity' and enough to make it a red card, but that's my opinion, not in anyway saying I have that correct, but judging by the silent crowd reaction most thought it a correct decision.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Blimey, I've started something here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I did not even think of a sending off as the player seemed to be running diagonal as Niate was getting near him. I thought it was a yellow and only a yellow card. Obviously wrong!