Torquay United v Chelmsford City - PP 2/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Torquay United v Chelmsford City - PP 2/4/19

Post by Midlandgull »

The last 6 games show Torquay 1st and Chelmsford 2nd in the form guide:

1 Torquay United - W 4-2 v TRUR W 2-1 v GLOU.. W 3-1 v TRUR W 4-0 v SLOU L 3-2 v BATH W 7-2 v OXFO
2 Chelmsford City - W 1-0 v BILL W 2-0 v HAMP L 1-0 v SLOU W 2-1 v DART W 3-1 v DULW W 4-1 v HUNG

This is a tough game and we have had a week off - this didn't go well last time. Hopefully Gary is putting the lads through their paces this week to ensure we are ready. I'd still like to think we can beat them if we play our game and use our strengths, we will have to be at our best though as Bath City showed spells without our foot firmly on the gas and we can be beaten.

I'll go for a hard fought 2-1 win.

:scarf:
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Will be a challenge for both sides. I think Torquay will do the job, but how is the pitch holding out? I am not local, but aware that heavy rain is forecast later in the week, for Torbay.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

I missed the 7-2 last week so bound to be a 2-1 this week
Gulag Dweller
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gulag Dweller »

Evening Ladies and Gents. This is our first visit to Torquay for football so I was hoping you'd answer a couple of questions to help with our planning.

1) What is the bar access situation? Are away fans allowed in your clubhouse or do we get our own bar in the away end?
2) I've seen something about a Fan Zone. Is that for home fans only?
3) If we can't get access to your bar where would you recommend those coming in on the Supporters Coach head too? There are plenty coming on the train and staying over the weekend who have found various options but what is decent close to the ground for those with less time on their hands?
4) What is your grub like? Any recommendations nearby if it's the standard rubbish football food?

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'll try and help as much as I can.

Firstly due to a very ill thought out groundshare with Truro our pitch has had more than a seasons worth of match's played on it, and is well and truly wrecked, any heavy or prolonged rain fall, this game could be in doubt.

At the swimming pool end of the ground you'll find boots and laces, it welcomes all fans, home fans are friendly and approachable, believe they serve food also , footy on the big screen, personally don't bother with food inside the ground, usual standard over priced fair to be honest.Stewards at plainmoor can be over bearing.

Just in case your not aware segregation is used at plainmoor, away fans are at the opposite end of the ground to boots and laces.

Fan zone on the green outside boots and laces, it's something for kids, all our welcome, think they have speed goal, table football, FIFA 19 on a big screen etc.
Formerly known as forevertufc
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Gulag Dweller wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 17:18 Evening Ladies and Gents. This is our first visit to Torquay for football so I was hoping you'd answer a couple of questions to help with our planning.

1) What is the bar access situation? Are away fans allowed in your clubhouse or do we get our own bar in the away end?
2) I've seen something about a Fan Zone. Is that for home fans only?
3) If we can't get access to your bar where would you recommend those coming in on the Supporters Coach head too? There are plenty coming on the train and staying over the weekend who have found various options but what is decent close to the ground for those with less time on their hands?
4) What is your grub like? Any recommendations nearby if it's the standard rubbish football food?

Thanks in advance.
You will be made very welcome in 'Boots and Laces' bar. There is a Waitrose very near the ground, better choice for snacks. Town centre 10-15 minutes walk, for beautiful sea views, harbour and pubs galore. Check the weather, the forecast is not great and the pitch has been hammered. :scarf:
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

No bar in the away end. It's a hip flask in the pants situation.

You'll be welcome in Boots & Laces, but if you're eating/drinking before the game as a group do it on the harbour and then grab a taxi up to the ground. Should cost between £5 and £7 from the rank, probably a little cheaper if you call 01803 211 611.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Everyone goes to boots and laces and a warm welcome to be had. There is a fanzone in there too , mainly for younger ones. Should be a decent match as you are in form too.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Instead of soaking up the beer you might want to bring something to soak up the water off the pitch if the forecast is to be believed :-/
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If we can win this match it will really knock back
Chelmsfords challenge
I know it's about getting more points than the rest
but if we can get 90 points I think that will do it
10 wins from 15 with 3 draws and 2 defeats is a very modest target for this team and I know Gary will be going for 15 wins but a mini blip could happen. That would leave Woking needing 12 wins from 16 games with 2 draws and 2 defeats
to overtake us - a tall order for a team that are starting to wobble a bit. It's looking like they will need to beat us on April 6th
Gulag Dweller
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gulag Dweller »

Cheers for the tips all. I imagine we'll all pile into Boots and Laces unless the coach arrives really early and we have time to join the overnighters/train groups in town.

Hopefully the pitch holds up as we're looking forward to this game. The game on Day 1 was a bit of a dull affair but we've both found some attacking consistency (you guys especially) which should hopefully make for a better game. This game is a bit of a free hit for us. We're not expecting to challenge for the title. One of you or Woking may blow up but I can't see both of you doing it. Your games in hand will put you too far out of reach even if we manage to win on Saturday. So if we come away with a point of 3 then that's great. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world though unless its an embarrassing one.

I'm sure you'll be welcoming Rhys Murphy back with open arms. In the last 3-4 months he's been brilliant for us top scoring with 18 goals. Since he was harshly sent off against Truro in mid November we've won every game he's featured in. In the 5 games he missed since then we lost 4 of them! We're not quite a one man team but he's obviously our key player.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

A good result for the Gulls on Saturday would be ideal - but the Gulls do have 2 games in hand over Chelmsford.
Woking's defeat - hooray. Come on Torquay and 3 cheers for GJ . . .
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

As much as I wants the game on, surely it’s in doubt, a combination of the weather and the mud bath last time out, it can’t be looking good. Anyone with any news/updates?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

goody2449 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 10:02 As much as I wants the game on, surely it’s in doubt, a combination of the weather and the mud bath last time out, it can’t be looking good. Anyone with any news/updates?
Peeing down the moment with a howling gale as well.
peterfoster
New Signing
New Signing

Post by peterfoster »

Match postponed....
Peter Foster - Chelmsford City FC