Gordon Banks played at Plainmoor

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jimvuy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Gordon Banks played at Plainmoor

Post by Jimvuy »

I started watching and supporting the Gulls in the mid 70’s.
During the summer when Torbay was full of holidaymakers we were treated to some top sides visiting Plainmoor for pre-season friendlies and some great exhibition matches.

Around 76 or 77 (?) I saw the great Gordon Banks play in an exhibition match. Does anyone else remember this? Was it an all-star ex-international team v the Saudi Arabia national side, which were then managed by Jimmy Hill?

I remember one popside pundit shouting out - just watch Banks’ feet. The shots were raining in and sure enough his feet were dancing, constantly adjusting his position at lighting speed. He hardly had to dive all afternoon, he seemed to be always in the right position!
This was after his car crash when he only had the sight in one eye! Seeing Gordon Banks - a true legend in action is up there in my all time great football memories. RIP

Does anyone remember this match or who else was in the team? I think Jimmy Greaves, John Charles, Bobby Moore ?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I can now recall this game having been reminded by a post on TFF in last couple of days but did not attend. It was August 1976 Jimmy Hill's South West XI v Saudi Arabia. This was Banks' 2nd appearance at Plainmoor and I was at the first - a friendly against Stoke City in 1969.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Really struggling to remember the Saudi game, the only thing I remember about August 76 is the drought and they brought in tankers of treated sewage water from Heathfield to water the
brown pitch. Can just about remember the Stoke friendly though sadly not much about it and Gordon Banks, maybe he didn't have much to to